. .

Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 26, 2023

Week 7 - Riding with Craig

Monday

I cycled in to work and back.

In the evening, I did an hour of weight training. I found the 3 sets of barbell shrugs a real challenge, but got through it with much heaving and straining. Unfortunately, something in my left shoulder shifted and it was aching and stinging for the rest of the night.

Weight training, no junkfood, no booze


Tuesday

I stepped on the scales today. I've lost exactly half a stone since restarting my training plan. I now feel a little more motivated to keep going.

I cycled in to work and back. It was very windy on the way home and my legs were aching. In the last few minutes of the ride, I was surprised to find the whole of my left arm had started aching. It got worse at home, even in a hot shower. It was obviously something thing to do with the left shoulder strain from yesterday's weight training session.

The aching calmed down a bit in the car, and by the time I got to dojo it was okay. 

The first half of this evening's Karate session was all about hitting the pads. We had 15 seconds each to go crazy on a large kick pad. I know that Karate is meant to be about finishing a fight in one counterattack, but it was still good fun, and the kids went wild for it!

The last half of the session was dedicated to kata. At first, we went through Nijushiho, which was great and very much needed. However, we then started to do "kata races" where we had to do a basic kata as fast as possible, not worrying about technique, and the person who finished last was singled out. Even though we were told not to concern ourselves with technique, my technique was then corrected in front of the other black belts! I don't see the point of this and I hope we don't do it again. As Master Funakoshi told us: Perform kata exactly...

Karate, no junkfood, no alcohol


Wednesday

The shoulder was fine when I woke up this morning. I cycled in to work and back. Lucy was out and about in the car tonight, so it was up to me to walk Fred the dog. By the time I got back, I had to make dinner (chicken and mushroom curry) and there were no more hours in the day left for weight training or any other form of exercise. Oh well.

No exercise, no junkfood, no alcohol


Thursday

We drove in to work today because I had some parcels to take to the Post Office on the way home.

When we got back, I steeled myself, put my running gear on, pressed play on my Spotify, and set off on a 10K run - my first since the end of June. I didn't feel too bad at first. I was glad to get out and not have my knee explode under me! Since my left knee started aching in July, I have drastically reduced the amount of weight I use for deadlifts and squats. I've also stopped running. Tonight was an experiment to see if the knee would hold.

The knee was okay, but my fitness wasn't! I gradually got more and more tired, with my quads burning and aching after about 4 miles. I staggered home in a miserable time of 67 minutes and 18 seconds - this includes slowing to a walk twice!

I was bright red and very sweaty. After a shower, my wife fed me a homemade bolognese with wholewheat spaghetti. I had two bowlfuls!

10K run, no junkfood, no alcohol


Friday

I cycled in to work, helped cover lessons for the tutors who couldn't make it in, attended a meeting and got some marking done. I cycled home and got ready for Karate.

Tonight, I volunteered to lead the warm up. Then I was asked to teach straight away, so I didn't get a chance to train. I worked with four beginners, still in track suits and t-shirts. I was very glad to see that they were all bare foot!

Back at home, I did some more stuff for work while Lucy served up two pieces of plaice, homemade chips and mushy peas! Lovely!

I had a sober Friday night because I have a very busy day tomorrow.

Karate, no junkfood, no alcohol


Saturday

Up at 7, picked up at 9 by Tilly and Jake. We headed down to Wilmcote to continue to clear out Eric's magnificent garage full of tools. Before that, Jake and I put up a blind in the office. It was a lovely sunny day, the ladies sat outside in the sunshine while Jake and I covered ourselves in spiders and sawdust. Tilly got stuck in and cleaned up some tools too.

We loaded Tilly's car full of tools and audio books, and then the kids drove me home in time to get ready for the dojo.

Lucy and I cycled to the Village Hotel so she could go swimming and I could teach my Karate session. This afternoon, I blasted the class through basics, then onto kata, with pads and heavy bag to finish.

After the lesson, some black belts plus wives and girlfriends had an instructors' meeting in the bar...

Much later, I tried to start watching Fear the Walking Dead, but I was too 'tired' so had to go to bed.

Karate, no junkfood, beers


Sunday

I woke up at 3:11am with a crashing headache. I manged to doze off for a bit and then my alarm went of at 7am. I felt pretty rough.

After aspirin, tea, chocolate Hobnobs and muesli I was ready go. James turned up and then our mate from work Craig came along too. It's been a long time since I've ridden with Craig. We used to ride mountain bikes together when I was part of the AMBS, but that was at least 10 years ago...

Craig is currently part of a weight loss group. He has given up the booze and is now actively exercising to change his body shape. We were glad to have him along for the ride. Unfortunately, it rained almost all the way down to Wilmcote! When we arrived, we were very wet but thankfully not cold. 

However, I did get cold sitting around in the living room in my wet clothes. I was glad to get back into the lanes to get the blood pumping around my shivering body. 

Yes, it was the slowest ride for a long time, but it was great to ride with Craig again, and great to have someone 'new' join us on our Sunday ride.


I spent the afternoon ironing before heading off to the dojo. I was in charge for this session. I blasted all learners through some kicking basics before splitting them up into groups for kata. We finished with some kumite - basics for the lower grades, brown belts and black belts doing some stuff from fighting stance. I signed lots of books and there were lots of smiling faces. Unfortunately, there were still lots of outdoor shoes being worn!

Back at home, I decided it was beer o'clock!

Karate, junkfood, beers


Summary

A much better week - not too many beers, more self control and plenty of Karate!

No comments:

Post a Comment