. .

Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 3, 2023

Week 8 - Birthday Boy

Monday

I cycled in to work and back. I did a weight training session and managed to set a personal record for military press. Afterwards, I decided to have a few beers while I got dinner ready.

Weight Training, no junkfood, 3 beers


Tuesday

I cycled to work. Within a few seconds of setting off, it started to rain. Suddenly, I was on the A34 cycling in a storm! Thunder and lightning above my head, rain lashing down. I was completely soaked by the time I got to college. All of my clothes had to go in the tumble dryer, even my pants!

I cycled home in dry clothes but soaking wet shoes - it was like sliding my feet into two dead fish...

Tonight's Karate session was great! Sensei Mark ran a no nonsense session, blasting us through some high level kata to start with and then moving on to self defence. We were asked to leave our mitts off to make it more realistic. After a few close quarter blocking and attacking techniques my arms were sore and I had taken blows to the ribs, throat and nose! By the time I got home, the bruises had started to come up nicely! 

Karate, no junkfood, no booze


Wednesday

I rode the bike in to work and back. I did an hour of weight training and then made dinner.

Weight Training, no junkfood, no booze


Thursday

We used the car for work today. Afterwards, we went to visit our good friend Sally to help her celebrate her birthday. Of course, I had to have a few beers!

No exercise, no junkfood, 3 beers


Friday

I cycled in to work. I had some lovely birthday presents from Heather and Dodgy. Dodgy has given me a fantastic pair of winter cycling gloves - SealSkin gauntlets that look like they might be just what I need in the cold weather.

After work, I went along to the dojo. Sensei Gary was in charge and he made the lesson fun - fast-paced basics with some reaction training exercises too. We got to punch mitts out of the air!

Back at home to find a lovely surprise - Tilly, Jake and Lily had come round to help us celebrate my birthday. I had some fantastic presents including a new suit, plenty of beer, cycling clothes, aftershave and new shirts. We chatted until about 10:30 and then we all staggered off to bed yawning.

Karate, junkfood, beer


Saturday

Jonnie, Roger, James and I set off on our bicycles at 9am. It was a warm morning and, once again, I had got the clothing choice wrong. I was too hot in three layers plus a hat and scarf! Jonnie had some brake issues very early on, but manged to set the front calipers so they didn't rub. 

James and I bobbed along at 15mph while Roger and Jonnie charged off the front for the first 15 miles or so. Even though Jonnie was suffering with a cold, he looked super strong this morning, and Roger is just fit! When we got to the Average Destroyer (a short, steep climb in Haselor ) James and I decided to put Jonnie and Roger under pressure so we scampered up the hill in an effort to leave them behind! We did put some distance between us and them, but we found out later that Jonnie's front wheel was loose - he hadn't tightened the quick release mechanism since he got back from Yorkshire last week. It's little wonder his brake was rubbing this morning!

We rode together for a little while before the group splintered again after crossing the A46 for the second time. Jonnie and I headed off to the cakestop and James and Roger joined us just as we arrived.


The cake was awesome - the best carrot cake we had ever sampled I reckon! After a chat about rugby with the dishwasher repair man, we headed back into the lanes. I left my jacket behind - it was far too warm. My intention on this ride was to get a gold trophy on Strava for the reverse section of the 1.44 miles of Pettiford Lane. Jonnie and James kindly volunteered to lead me out, but after a little while I realised the pace needed to be higher so I pushed on ahead solo. James managed to catch me but couldn't get in front even though he wanted to help out. Anyway, I'm pleased to report that we both got gold for the section. Mission accomplished!

After this, the chaps unknowingly dropped me for a mile or two, so I had to work hard to get back on. Jonnie proved himself to be super fit despite his cold: he roared away past a trio of horses and then shot up through Lowsonford until Bushwood Lane where he waited for us. I kept the pressure on for a little while, trying to keep a 15mph average a reality. However, both Jonnie and James were too strong and gradually left me behind. We rode together for the last few miles. 

When we were less than a mile from home. I called 'wait' at a junction. However, the car was moving a lot slower than I had anticipated. Jonnie took the opportunity to shoot out into the road while the rest of us were waiting. He scampered off solo to claim the day for the breakaway!

As soon as I got home, I walked Fred in the park. After a shower, I headed off to the dojo for my Saturday session. I started with basics, then we did two kata - Heian Nidan and Bassai Dai. We ended with pad work.

In the evening, I celebrated my birthday with family and friends. I burnt food on the barbecue while Jonnie and James supervised. I had some lovely beer and cycling-related gifts from Jonnie and Sally, Luke and James too! Lucy, Dodgy and I kept the fire pit going until almost midnight!

Cycling, Karate, junkfood, beers


Sunday

I woke up feeling awful. Unfortunately, I was in no condition to go to instructor's training this month.

I managed to clean the floors, service a bicycle, and do some ironing but most of the day was spent moping about feeling poorly. 

I had some beers with my lovely chicken dinner.

No exercise, junkfood, beers


Summary

Birthdays are no good for training. I'll have to pull my socks up and get back to basics next week.


No comments:

Post a Comment