. .

Search This Blog

Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Week 5 - A New Chain, a Grading, 3 Barbecues and a Sting on the Head

Monday

I spent the day inducting new students to the college. Then I went home to do an hour of weight training and to make dinner for the family.

Weight training, no junkfood, no booze


Tuesday

More induction.

After work, I went along to the Tuesday night Karate session. Sensei Gary blasted us through free-flow combinations. Then I was asked to teach the beginners. 

Home for a lovely dinner.

Karate, no junkfood, no booze.


Wednesday

Another roasting hot day!

After helping Michael with induction, I went home to get lots of eBay parcels ready. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to do any exercise before I had to get the barbecue started. As I may have mentioned before, it is simply impossible to man a barbecue without a beer in one's hand!

No exercise, no junkfood, beers


Thursday

I drove in to to work with a bit of a sore head. 

After work, I set to work on my Specialized bicycle and replaced the chain. After lubing it, I got my lycra on and headed out. I cycled along to the Tudor Grange Cycle Track. It was fairly quiet for the most part, although one bloke still insisted on walking his dog around it!I told him that he was walking his dog on a cycling race track, but he didn't say anything. He just walked around it like a zombie with his dog off the lead. I had to make sure I didn't hit the dog as I went past them on each lap. Idiot.

I got home after 15 miles at 16.7mph

Cycling, no junkfood, no booze.


Friday

A satisfying day at work - enrolling a student, getting our functional skills data organised, a quick meeting with the FS team, and some banter with Michael.

Sensei Gary asked me to cover this evening's Karate session. Sensei Jason was there but he asked me to carry on with my lesson plan and was happy for me to take charge.

I ran through a mock grading, from white belt through to black belt. I could have done with Martha's help but she refused to put her gi on and wanted to train in a strappy vest! She got herself in a bad mood so I had to carry on without her. At the end of the session, everyone had done combinations, kumite and a bit of kata. An hour isn't quite long enough to get everything done.

Karate, no junkfood, no booze


Saturday

In the morning, Mouse and I took Lily and Fred out to Sheldon country park. We looked at aeroplanes landing, and I tried to catch grasshoppers. It was a roasting hot day! I bought ice creams for the girls and water for Fred which he didn't want.

This afternoon's Karate session was a grading. Sensei Ronnie was there and kindly gave me a role to play in the grading. I had the huge honour of handing out the belts. Afterwards, Sensei Ronnie explained, in great detail, how he decides who passes their grading, along with the importance of brown belts training in the advanced class.

This evening, Lucy, Jonnie, Sally and I went over to visit James. James did a great barbecue and had loads of quality beer on offer! We had a great time, I overdid it with the beer (as usual) and I didn't want the night to end.

Back at home, I watched the incredibly disappointing ending to The Walking Dead. It was fantastic TV for the first 5 or 6 seasons, then the quality went down from there. I'm still sad that it's over, however.

Bed just after midnight.

Karate, no junkfood, loads of beer


Sunday

I woke up about 6am and felt awful. After water, aspirin and breakfast, I was ready to face the morning. I met the lads at Jonnie's place at 9. Jonnie, Roger, James and I cycled out into the rain. It was a warm rain, it was a very hot day. We rolled along on our Bushwood High Cross route. Fairly flat for 35 miles. Not too taxing. During the descent to Snitterfield, I felt something get inside my helmet and wedge itself there. Then a small pain started... I was third in line, with Jonnie behind. I braked gently so that Jonnie didn't smash into the back of me. By the time I flung off my helmet, it was too late. I had already been stung. Bee or wasp? I don't know what it was, I just know that it hurt! Jonnie was kind enough to come back to see what the mater was.

I rode on but the pain in my head got worse and worse. It was like stinging nettles but in a really concentrated area, and considerably more powerful. I could hardly wait to get to Jane's' for a sit down...

When we arrived at Wilmcote, we steeled ourselves for our first visit without Eric being there. Jane, as strong and brave as ever, poured the tea and coffee, and served the lads homemade cake. I declined the cake - I'm still trying to shift some flab.

After almost an hour, we set off into the lanes. Now it was even hotter! The big talking point was how fit Roger was! He was doing huge pulls on the front and looked really strong. A big difference to how he was 2 weeks ago. We were all very impressed. A strong rider who just happens to be in his seventies, we were very glad to get behind him on the way home.

The lads must have felt sorry for me because of my bee sting: they let me win the sprint for home.

At home, my wife requested a barbecue. I did loads of ironing, got the washing in, trod dog shit all over the house, cleared up all traces of dog shit, washed my hands, and then fired up the barbecue. And of course, there is no fire without...beer.

Cycling, no junkfood, beers


Summary

Another disappointing week as far as my training plan is concerned.






No comments:

Post a Comment