. .

Search This Blog

Saturday, September 9, 2023

Week 4 - A Gradual Return to Training

Monday

The family gathered at Wilmcote. Jake and I spent most of the day tidying and cleaning Eric's garage.

I had a few beers in the evening with Luke. 

No exercise, no junkfood, booze


Tuesday

Same as Monday except I drank with Lucy, not Luke.

Just a small part of what Jake and I are sorting through.

No exercise, no junkfood, booze


Wednesday

I cycled in to work. The fantastic people I work with were very supportive and helped me get through the day. They were all very concerned about Lucy.

At home, I made dinner, did an hour of weightlifting, and didn't drink beer.

Weight training, no junkfood, no alcohol


Thursday

Lucy came back to work today. We drove in. 

Back at home, Lucy insisted on making a fantastic meat and vegetables dinner. I did an hour of weight training and resisted a beer.

Weight training, no junkfood, no alcohol


Friday

I cycled to work in the mist. I cycled home in the sunshine.

Tonight's Karate session was run by Sensei Gary. He worked the higher grades incredibly hard at the start: We were asked to perform several freestyle combinations in quick succession. It wasn't long before I was gasping and struggling to keep up. A clear indicator that I need to improve my fitness.

Then I got to do a bit of instructing myself - phew, a chance to recover!

Back at home, I found myself reaching for a beer. Cheers!

Karate, no junkfood, 3 beers


Saturday

On Saturday, Martha and I cycled down to Halfords to see what they could offer in way of a new bike for her, now that hers has been stolen. We settled on a Voodoo Marasa. I like it because it is a rigid frame with hydraulic brakes. 2x9 gears are more than enough for her to get to work on a flat cycle path! The deal they have on at the moment requires that the buyer part-exchanges their old Halfords bike for a 25% discount. That would be a saving of £125! Martha, in front of the sales assistant, suggested I trade in my 1974 Raleigh Carlton! 

Back at home, I set about trying to find a suitable bike on Facebook Marketplace. I found one and contacted the guy selling it - he was local but very slow at replying to messages! In the afternoon, I taught my regular Saturday afternoon session at Ruach Karate. Sensie Gary was there and soon took charge, running the class through basics, kata and then kumite drills. 

Afterwards, I cycled along to where the guy was selling the bike. I was ready tp pay him, I just needed his house number. He was so slow at messaging that I had given up and gone home before he had replied to me! We arranged for me to collect the bike tomorrow.

Healthy dinner, no alcohol, early night.

Karate, no junkfood, no booze


Sunday

Up early for instructors training with Sensei Ronnie Christopher! We were on the mats at 8:30. Today, the emphasis was on kumite and fitness. It was a fantastic lesson - the kind of lesson I would design for myself given the opportunity. I worked with a group of six black belts, three of whom were senior to me. We had to wear the full-face crash helmets which meant I had to borrow one from Sensei Joey who was observing today (thanks Sensei!) Even Sensei Ronnie had a crash helmet on!

Then, we got stuck into a fast and furious line up. We ran through kizami, gyaku zuki, mae geri, yoko geri kekomi, mawashi geri and ushiro geri at what seemed like 1000mph. After each of those 6 techniques, we were required to perform 20 press ups or around 30 stomach crunches. At the end, my arms were fine but my abs were burning! A fantastic session, one of the best I can remember in almost 25 years of Karate. I wish I could start every day like this!

Still buzzing from the workout, I drove round to collect the old bicycle from the guy on Facebook Marketplace, and then drove home. Lucy commented that I was like a kid with ADHD - a bundle of energy ready for the day!

The old bike was actually a bargain for £10. I could have easily restored it and Martha could have used it for work for the coming months, possibly years. But she wasn't interested and wants a new bike!

Soon, Lucy and I were back in Wilmcote. I enjoyed tea and cake before getting back to sorting Eric's garage again. It was a very hot and sunny day so I was moving slowly in the heat. Still, I managed to get a lot done. I'd say I was about 25% of the way through by 5pm. 

I drove Jane back to our place for a lovely homemade curry. Tilly and Jake were there too. I managed to resist a beer.

Karate, junkfood, no alcohol


Summary

Not a week to be too concerned with training. It was all about family coming together and supporting each other. I drank a little more beer than I intended to, and there were two days with no training at all. I'm sure next week will be an improvement.

No comments:

Post a Comment