. .

Search This Blog

Thursday, May 3, 2018

How to Lose a Belly When You're 43 (part 28)

Monday
I cycled in to work and back. While in my afternoon lesson, one of the ladies opened up a tray of Asian biscuits. That was the end of my healthy eating for the day...
At home, disaster struck. While I was getting dinner ready I noticed that my left wrist was aching mightily. For some reason it got worse and worse until just closing the oven door made me yelp in pain. 
I made a half-hearted attempt to do my Monday night weight lifting session but it was completely pointless.
So, the obvious question is: what's wrong with my wrist? Could it be the onset of arthritis? Why would it suddenly start aching to the point of being useless?
The pain came and went throughout the evening but seemed to be a lot better when I didn't use it.
I went to bed worried.
No alcohol, junkfood, no exercise.

Tuesday
Last night I dreamt I was training in an outdoor dojo with Enoeda Sensei. I was getting everything correct! We ended up training in a warm summer rain.
When I woke up, the pain in my wrist had lessened considerably but now it was clicking when I moved it.
I cycled in to work and back.
By the time I got to the dojo tonight I was relieved to find that the wrist was fine. It was an entirely kata-based lesson and I got to perform Bassai Dai several times. Unfortunately, in a class that size, there's no room for individual feedback (not at brown belt level anyway.)

Wednesday
Cycled in to work and back.
In the evening, I attempted a weight training session. I was very relieved to find that the wrist didn't given me any trouble! I had it strapped up just in case. Unfortunately, my strength left me in the final third of the session and I failed on barbell curls at 39kg. It was at this point that I decided that this week should be a bit of a rest week!
I had three beers and went to bed.


Thursday
Weight: 10st 1lbs
Blood Pressure: 123/75
Resting Heart Rate: 51
Last night I had nightmares about an alien invasion.
I cycled in to work and back.
I ate mostly healthy apart from a chocolate biscuit before bed.
I drank two beers with my dinner.

Friday
Weight: 10st 0lbs
How on earth have I lost two pounds this week? Especially when I didn't do any exercise yesterday, apart from 9 flat miles on the bike!
I cycled in to work in the rain and then took my students to the gym. We went over some basic curls, presses and squats. We did a bit of pad work too.
This evening's Karate session was, as is usual for the Friday session, superb. After the session, I was lucky enough to get some sparring experience under my belt with Sensei Jody while Sensei Gary was the referee.
Poor Jody was subjected to some rather biased refereeing as his superb Mawashi Geri flashed up next to my face but was ruled as a no-score. He did eventually beat me of course, but I was happy that my techniques show signs of improvement.

Saturday
Weight: 10st 0lbs
Today, the family and I went to see Avengers: Infinity War. I think, as far as pure escapist entertainment goes, this is the best film I've ever seen. That doesn't mean it's better than The Deer Hunter or Bladerunner or The Dark Knight or Good Will Hunting, but it is more fun than any other film I've watched. If you've invested the time in these Marvel characters and watched all of the films then this is an amazing cinematic experience. If you're not roaring with laughter (Drax being invisible) then you're blinking back tears ("I don't want to go.") I thoroughly enjoyed myself with wine, a beer, crisps and M&Ms! 
Afterwards, we had pizza for dinner!
Sometimes it's truly grand to have a day off training.
Junkfood! Alcohol! No exercise!

Sunday
Weight: 10st 0lbs
How didn't I put any weight on yesterday???
Up early to cycle with Jonnie. We headed off at 9am and I had devised a short but very lumpy route. It was a bit chilly with a crisp north wind keeping the temperature down. We were slow today which we attributed to the amount of climbing this route demanded. However, I could tell Jonnie didn't have the legs he did when he demolished me on the MMH two weeks ago. 
After refreshing ourselves with tea and cake, we turned north into a cold 15mph headwind and started the long climb back to base. We struggled to keep the average at a decent speed but it eventually dwindled away. By the time we reached the climb through Danzey Green, we were almost spent. We gritted our teeth and did our work in silence...
We were very relieved and pleased to get back to base with the average still above 13 mph. We managed to cover 38 miles with over 2000ft of climbing.
After a healthy lunch, Martha and I headed off to the two hour Sunday Karate session run this week by Sensei Mark. It was a slow, stop-start type of lesson so we didn't really get to hit top gear. However, there were some technical points that we managed to go over. 
During one of the spar work sections, Sensei Jody tagged me a good one high up on the ribcage. I honestly thought he'd cracked a rib. It only hurts if I breathe...
Back home for Sunday lunch and beer!


No comments:

Post a Comment