. .

Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 15, 2018

How to Lose a Belly When You're 43 (part 30)

Monday
Weight: 10st 0lbs
Blood pressure: 119/78
Resting Heart Rate: 49
I think that's the healthiest result for my blood pressure I've ever recorded.
It's a Bank Holiday. I was pleased to wake up without a hangover. I did a heavy weights session, avoided junkfood, but did end up enjoying a trio of beers in the evening.
Weight training, no junkfood, 3 beers

Tuesday
Weight: 10st 0lbs
I cycled in to work and back. Tonight's Karate session was run by Sensei Mark. I spent most of the evening partnered with children. I did get to do about a minute of sparring with Sensei Jody and Sensei Joey. In my brief bout with Joey, our legs clashed and I took a big painful knock to my left thigh. It put me out of the fight for a few seconds but then I carried on with the lesson.
In the evening, the leg got worse and worse to the point where the only way I could get upstairs was to hold on to the banister and hop up on one leg!
Karate, no junkfood, no alcohol.

Wednesday
Weight: 10st 0lbs
The leg was very painful when I woke up. I considered driving to work but I was relieved to find that it hurt a lot less to cycle than it did to walk.
I cycled in to work and back.
I picked up some weights again tonight. unfortunately, I couldn't manage 5x5 curls at 39kg. I failed in the first set (but I'd successfully completed the same lift on Monday.) Disappointed, I made sure I completed the other 5 exercises and then had a rest.
Failed weights session, no junkfood, no booze.

Thursday
Weight: 9st 13lbs
I had to work in Handsworth today which is a bit farther away than where I usually teach. Tonight, after 22 miles on the bike, I set about lifting some weights. I dropped the curls down to 38kg but still struggled. I had to cheat on the very last rep - I arched my back and jerked the bar up under my chin!
Weights session, no junkfood, no alcohol.

Friday
Weight: 9st 13lbs
I cycled in to work and back.
Tonight's Karate session was, as usual, fantastic. My leg was still sore but not enough to hold me back. I got to spar with Sensei Jody, Martha and Eric. Sensei Jody is still bringing out the best in my fighting. I can feel when I get things right - it doesn't happen very often but I know when it does. I'm well aware he could knock me down whenever he wants to but I do enjoy landing the odd successful hit on him. Martha fought well against me and showed no signs of nervousness. I was pleased to hold my own against Eric, a newly graded black belt in the club.
Tonight, I performed Kata Jion all the way through for the first time. I've decided I like the kata and I'm looking forward to developing it with Jody.
As usual, Sensei Russell got a well deserved round of applause at the end of an enjoyable session.
Jody came back to the house for dinner and sat up talking about martial arts, anime, surfing and cycling with Martha and myself. The two of them convinced me to enter the club competition again this year! I'm looking forward to it.
A little light reading from Sensei Jody

I had two ales in the evening.
Karate, no junkfood, 2 beers

Saturday
Weight: 9st 12lbs
I got up early. I ran my weekly 10K in a time of 61 minutes and 56 seconds. Not too bad. My left leg still throbbed but didn't seem to hold me back.
This afternoon's Karate session consisted of one thing: 90 minutes of Kata Jion with Sensei Jody. I've very grateful to him for taking the time to help me learn my new kata. He's also a very patient bloke - I was on the verge of losing my temper several times! How can you relax and kick at the same time? I haven't worked that one out yet!
In the evening, I walked around Monkspath for an hour going door to door promoting the club. Then I finally chilled out at home with two beers.
10K run, no junkfood, alcohol

Sunday
Weight: 9st 12lbs
Unfortunately, Nigel had celebrated Aston Villa's win a little too enthusiastically last night and he was in a recovery phase this morning. With Jonnie away riding the Pedal of Honour, I found myself riding solo down to Wilmcote in the glorious sunshine. I didn't put in any dramatic efforts because I knew that I had a two hour Karate lesson to look forward to this afternoon! I clocked up 31 miles at 14.6mph. 
I had a quick slice of cake and cup of tea when I got home and then Lucy and I set off on my second bike ride of the day! She was riding a rigid mountain bike (Halford's Apollo crap) with no helmet and no gloves! She is determined to get fit and intends to ride everyday! We rode down to the park and met up with the kids walking the dogs. Then on to some quiet roads and a couple of laps of the cycling track at Tudor Grange before heading home after 7 miles.
The Karate session was slow. It was a technical kicks lesson run by Sensei Ronnie Christopher. 
I went home for homemade lasagna and a couple of beers.
Cycling, Karate, junkfood, alcohol.



No comments:

Post a Comment