. .

Search This Blog

Monday, May 7, 2018

How to Lose a Belly When You're 43 (part 29)

Monday
Weight: 10st 1lb
I cycled in to work and back and then surprised myself by doing a successful hour of lifting, moving heavier weights than I've managed for over a year.
I resisted booze and unkfood.
Weight training, no junkfood, no alcohol.

Tuesday
Weight: 9st 12lbs
This is the first time I've weighed less than 10 stone since November last year!
I cycled in to work and back and then went along to the dojo. Tonight's session involved a LOT of standing around watching a kumite competition. I did eventually get to do a bit of sparring but this was with a teenager. Don't get me wrong, I like the kumite and kata competitions that we do in the session, but I sometimes need to work up a sweat...
Tonight, I managed to resist the sugary food, but the lure of a beer was too much.
Karate, no junkfood, alcohol

Wednesday
Weight: 10st 0lbs
I cycled to work and back and then did another good, heavy weights session.
Weight training, no junkfood, no alcohol.

Thursday
Weight: 9st 12lbs
I cycled to work and back and then set out on my weekly 10K. This was the last 10K on my training schedule and my target was 60 minutes and 8 seconds. I set off determined to succeed.
I kept a close eye on my speed and was pleased to see I was just about keeping up the required pace. At about 3 and a half miles in, I bumped into a mate of mine on his bike. We had a quick chat but I was always mindful of the seconds ticking by!
After about a minute, I launched myself back into my run, desperate to claw that minute back. I'm pleased to report that I got back within my target and even managed to get in under an hour. I finished  the 10k with a time of 59m 50s. 
I celebrated with two bottles of stout, but managed to resist junkfood.
10K run, no junkfood, alcohol.

Friday
Weight: 10st 0lbs
I cycled in to work. It was a dry day so I took my group down to the park to do some running and a bit of football as part of their "Improving Own Fitness" unit. It quickly became apparent how unfit they were! After 10 minutes of football, most of them were refusing to take part or were lolling about on the grass gulping water. I've got my work cut out for me!
I cycled home and then went off to Friday night dojo.
Sensie Gary and Sensei Jody ganged up on me and more or less told me that I had to grade tomorrow. Apparently, there had been a meeting between four instructors who decided that I should grade. How much of that is true I don't know, but I agreed to try for my new belt.
Sensei Jody ran a good session with plenty of kata and kumite. I get really, really exhausted in kata. I think it's because I go for it so hard and it makes me tense, which puts the muscles under a lot of stress when I'm trying to move fast! I can cycle for literally hours and not feel as tired as I do at the end of Bassai Dai.
Obviously, no junkfood or alcohol tonight!
Karate, no junkfood, no alcohol.

Saturday
Weight: 10st 0lbs
Martha and I got up early in readiness for our gradings. We cruised along the M42 to the new dojo in Bromsgrove. We hadn't been there before and it took us a little while to find it. The room was tiny! It had a useful mirror in it but unfortunately, it also had a large window which didn't open and led to the room getting hotter and hotter as the sun shone through. Sensei Ronnie worked us hard. Martha and I had to take part in the all the other lower belt gradings too! I was glad I practise my basics and kata.
By the time we got to our own gradings I was very hot and sweaty with perspiration running down my face and soaking my gi. I felt that my basics were good although my weight still needs to be more forward. Martha was asked to move her legs faster.
My Bassai Dai was okay. I was so hot that it was draining me of energy, the room was like a greenhouse! Martha's kata looked good.
When it came to the fighting, I felt confident and calm. I was countering on my right side and it all went well. We switched to our left sides and then Sensei Ronnie came and stood next to me. Of course, I screwed it up dramatically and got a mitt in the face. Sensei Ronnie wasted no time in telling me that my technique was weak. My remaining counters were good but of course, he'd already seen enough... I was passed with a merit but not the distinction that I was after. 
Martha also passed and got her final kyu belt.
Walking out to the car, Martha and I discussed the heat in the room and how hot and sweaty it was. "Yes," agreed Martha, "you could smell the respect!"


A very hot grading! Martha now has her black belt syllabus...

Back at home, I celebrated with all the sweet things I usually deny myself. It was a lovely warm evening and Lucy, Tilly and I sat outside and had drinks around the chiminea.
Karate, junkfood, alcohol.

Sunday
Weight: 10st 0lbs
I was very surprised to see that my weight hadn't changed after all those treats and the beers I had yesterday.
Today, I joined Jonnie and Nigel in the lanes for a 40 miler in the blazing sunshine. It was a fun ride with good mates. Nigel suffered a little towards the end but he always puts on a good show. Jonnie was as strong as an ox, like he had a solar panel on his back! I'll let the photos do the talking:



Later on, Lucy and I gathered at Jonnie and Sally's house for barbecue and drinks:




After a few beers in the sun, Jonnie and I snoozed in front of the Giro d'Italia highlights...
40 miles of cycling, junkfood, alcohol

No comments:

Post a Comment