. .

Search This Blog

Monday, April 23, 2018

How to Lose a Belly When You're 43 (part 27)

Monday
I woke up feeling really rather tired after the postponed Mad March Hare yesterday. I did manage to ride into work but it was a struggle - like my legs belonged to someone else.
I had no energy all day and couldn't face the idea of weight lifting in the evening. I wouldn't have been able to lift much anyway.
So I made dinner, did the washing up and then put my feet up with a glass of terrible wine and then a good beer.
No junkfood, no exercise (9 miles of cycling), wine and beer

Tuesday
Weight: 10st 2lbs
Cycled in to work and back. If anything, my legs felt worse than yesterday! Riding home into a headwind was a huge effort - I may as well have got off and walked!
Unbelievably, tonight's Karate session was a fitness session - non-stop basics for forty minutes followed by circuit training! By then end of it, I was red faced and sweating and utterly spent. Sensei Lloyd came to see me before I left and advised me that I was moving my legs a little slowly. I considered explaining about the MMH but decided simply to thank him for his advice.
Karate, no junkfood, no alcohol.

Wednesday
Weight: 10st 2lbs
Cycled in to work and back - it's not getting any easier!
Back at home, I managed to do a weight lifting session that was the heaviest I've completed in over 12 months. I was rather pleased with this.
I made dinner for Lucy and myself and resisted a beer.
Weight training, no junkfood, no alcohol.

Thursday
Lucy and I had an appointment after work so I had to drive the car today.
It was a beautifully sunny day so I took students to the local park. We did a series of three sporting events - a 100m dash followed by standing long jumps and finally press ups in one minute. I pitted myself against these 16- 21 year olds and didn't do too badly. Some of them were too fat/lazy to take part in any of the events! I came third in the sprint, did okay in the long jump and won the press-ups! By the time we got back to college I had got a little sunburnt...
Back at home, I went out for my weekly 10K run. It was a struggle in the heat, with my legs still aching from Sunday and my sunburnt head and neck. I really suffered and my time was more than 5 minutes slower than last week's!
Somehow, I resisted a beer when I got home.
10K run: 64m 07s, no junkfood, no alcohol.

Friday
Weight: 10st 2lbs
Another lovely sunny day. I cycled to work and back. At work, a student offered me a chocolate covered raisin (one of my fave treats) and that was the top of a slippery slope. I ended up having some of Dodgy's birthday cake too.
Tonight's Karate session was awesome! Even in the heat, Sensei Russell kept the pressure on and we blasted through kumite training, loads of kata and then back to some freestyle. I got to fight Sensei Jody and, as usual, he battered me, but there was a short time during our second or third fight when I felt some of my combinations come together and I actually landed some shots on him! It didn't last long though and he demolished me in our last bout. At least two people in the club were bleeding, possibly a third, and I had to wash my gi when I got home. Fantastic training!
At home, I had a beer with dinner and then a glass of red while watching TV. Much later, at 00:50am I got a call from a friend who needed my help. After a drive to the Queen Elizabeth Hospital and back I didn't get to bed until 2:10am!
Karate, junkfood, glass of red, glass of beer.

Saturday
I got up early to ride with Nigel for the first time this year! We set off in the lovely sunshine but, after the first mile, disaster! His rear gear cable had snapped. We turned off and headed to Nigel's house so he could swap bikes. He clambered onto his number two bike and we tried again.
Back in the saddle
We rode his Shrewley route and I was surprised and pleased to find that he was still just as powerful on the flat and I simply couldn't hang on to his back wheel.
After about twenty miles it was obvious that Nigel was uncomfortable: a bike saddle takes some getting used to and he hadn't sat on one for nearly 4 months! However, he soldiered on and we made it back to my place with a half-decent average over 24 miles. The weather was great and I regretted wearing the base layer, today.
We drank tea and coffee in the back garden and enjoyed the warmth of the sun.
A little later, after I'd completed all of my housework chores, I set off for this afternoon's Karate session. The emphasis was on the beginners and I was happy to help teach Kihon Kata to some white-belts.
After this, I walked the streets for an hour, knocking on doors to promote the club. We are currently offering free Karate sessions in the Solihull and King's Heath areas. Do get in touch if you're interested.
In the early evening, I enjoyed a beer and a glass of red wine and some ice cream before snoozing on the couch.
Later on, I had to wake up to fetch Martha from work!
Cycling, Karate, junkfood, one beer, one glass of red.

Sunday
Weight: 10st 1lbs
The big bike ride!
Jonnie and I set off on the High Cross route this morning. Again, I was wearing my base layer but it was too hot and sunny to justify it! We chatted along in the lanes and even rode with the Solihull Cycling D group for a little while . They were heading along on our exact route, just a little bit too slowly for us. We refreshed ourselves with tea and cake in the sunshine and I stripped off the base layer. Jonnie opted to keep his on.
We headed back as it began to cloud over. We kept the pressure on all the way back and we were going well. Interestingly, our average speed didn't change all the way back. We kept it at 14.4mph for the entire 15 miles home.
This afternoon's Karate session was intense! It was the two hour class with the second hour for the senior grades. Sensei Ronnie took the first hour and subjected us to an intense kata lesson. I did nearly all of the kata I knew (we missed out Enpi) and even one I didn't! Ronnie scrutinised us hard and spent a lot of time with me. I was disappointed to have my kata ripped apart - my stance was wrong (shifting my feet between techniques) and I was too tense on the blocks and attacks. He then informed me that I was losing my balance on my turns. Before this afternoon, I felt ready for my grading, now I know I still have a lot of work to do.
The thought of a second session was too much for Martha and she headed home. This second session was taken by Sensei Lee who is a no-nonsense fighter and really rather good at pushing people to their limits. In between each kumite section, we were blasted non-stop through various kata at full speed. We were told to disregard good form and just go for speed and aggression. I guess the idea was to tire us out and then throw us into the next fight, forcing us to dig deep. It certainly worked! I was dripping with sweat, gasping for breath with my hands on my knees between fights. I got to fight four black belts including Sensei Lee. I was shocked and pleased to find that I was landing hits on all of them although Sensei Lee did bop me squarely on my nose for my efforts! 
By the end of the two hours I was exhausted, damp and very happy.
At home, I poured myself a beer and, still in my gi, went with the family to watch the St George's Day motorbike ride out on the A34 - about 20 metres from my front door!
After dinner, I served up apple strudel and ice cream for Martha and myself. 
What a fantastic Sunday!
Cycling: 35 miles at 14.4mph, 2 hours of Karate, junkfood, one beer, one glass of red.


No comments:

Post a Comment