. .

Search This Blog

Monday, May 28, 2018

How to Lose a Belly When You're 43 (part 32)

Monday
Weight: 10st 0lbs
I cycled in to work, didn't eat any junkfood, cycled home, did a lifting session and didn't drink any booze.
Weight training, no junkfood, no alcohol

Tuesday
Weight: 10st 0lbs
I cycled to work and back and then Martha and I set off for tonight's dojo session.
After my performance at the weekend, I'd fished out a white belt and was quite prepared to join in the with beginners for a session. However, Sensei Jodi wasn't having any of it: He pushed the brown and black belts hard tonight. We did lots of kumite training without actually getting as far as freestyle. Sensei Gary joined in towards the end and I found myself being pushed right to the edge of my fitness levels. I was pouring with sweat and gasping for breath fighting in a one-for-one, block-and-counter exercise as fast as I could go! I picked up a few bruises in my encounter with Eric, one of our new black belts. I could tell he was suffering too!
I got home very tired, sore and happy. I helped myself to two bottles of ale.
Karate, no junkfood, 2 beers.

Wednesday
Weight: 10st 0lbs
I cycled in to work, didn't eat any junkfood, cycled home, did a lifting session and didn't drink any booze.
Weight training, no junkfood, no alcohol.

Thursday
Weight: 10st 0lbs
I went for a run after cycling to work and back. It was terribly hot and I wobbled round in the heat in a slow time of 62m 58s. I haven't had to walk during any of my 10K runs so far, but tonight I came close to it!
I did treat myself to a few beers when I got back.
10K run, no junkfood, beer

Friday
Weight: 9st 13lbs
I cycled in to work, didn't eat any junkfood, and then cycled home.
I'd got out of work early so I did a weight training session instead of going to dojo. 
I didn't drink any beer.
Weight training, no junkfood, no booze.

Saturday
Weight: 9st 13lbs
Today's dojo session was in two distinct halves: Sensei Gary worked us really hard in basics and, as usual, I was training next to Sensei Jody who is incredibly fast and expects me to be faster! After this, I found myself trying to teach Kihon Kata to a group of distracted white-belts. As Sensie Gary described it, it's like herding fish!
In the evening, seven of us went to the Arden Club to cheer on Liverpool in the final of the European Football Awards or something. Anyway, they lost and so did Villa in the play-offs. The mood was rather deflated so we went home early. 
Karate, no junkfood, 4 beers

Sunday
Weight: 9st 12lbs
I'm continuing to lose weight very gradually and I've lost over half a stone since the start of the year. There's still plenty of work do be done on this belly of mine! I'm not ready to change the title of my posts just yet...
Jonnie and I called off the morning's planned ride as the heavens opened. Frustratingly, the rain stopped soon afterwards and the rest of the morning was lovely!
This afternoon's Karate session was run by Sensei Ronnie Christopher and I was partnered with Sensei Jody for most of the 2 hour session. Sensei Ronnie doesn't know me very well and he was under the impression that I was nervous to be partnered with Jody. I set about trying to prove his opinion false. As always, I tried hard against Jody and ended up giving myself more bruises on top of the bruises from Tuesday! Now my arms look like this:

Block and punch and block and punch and block and punch...

We did some kata too. My technique was torn apart and, if I ever think I'm getting somewhere in my Karate, a Sunday session keeps me humble and makes me realise how far I have to go.
After driving home in a Midlands monsoon, I sat down to a fantastic homemade dinner followed by some cheesecake and a choc ice!
With no work tomorrow, I stayed up until 11pm drinking ales and playing Final Fantasy 15.
Karate, junkfood, 4 beers

No comments:

Post a Comment