. .

Search This Blog

Monday, March 7, 2016

How to Lose a Belly When You're 41 (part 10) MMH2016

Monday
I got out of bed determined to do better than last week.
Mini MOT results:
Weight: 10st 7lbs
Blood Pressure: 124/68
Resting Heart Rate: 45
So I've regained another pound of flab. Not surprising given the amount of cake and booze I consumed over the weekend. What is surprising is my heart rate: according to the research I've done on the internet, an athlete between the ages of 18 and 25 is expected to have a resting heart rate of between 49 and 55. So what does this mean for me?
At work, I did some karate-based warm-up exercises with my sports group, followed by some indoor cricket (I had to declare because they couldn't get me out! How things have changed!)
I picked up the mountain bike from Halfords on the way home. They had replaced the headset as I'd asked. I had also asked them to upgrade the headset (the standard one didn't last very long after Dan and I fitted it.) They 'upgraded' it to a Raleigh one which cost less than the FSA one they were going to fit in the first place! It does feel beautifully smooth though. I just hope it lasts a bit longer before it starts grinding.
At home, I strapped on the running shoes and headed out to run 57 minutes without stopping/walking. I ran fast and hard because I'm a lazy fat bastard who drinks too much.
Healthy food, no booze.

Tuesday

I was going to write something nice about Halfords but... they put my handlebars on wonky. I mean, you learn how to straighten your bars when you get your first BMX at 9 years of age or something! How can they get that wrong!? I only discovered their mistake when riding my bike on the way to work.
At the dojo: lots of fighting practise, with a bit of kata at the end. A fun session.
No booze, no junkfood.

Wednesday
It was a non-stop, mega-stressful day at work. Due to staff members being off sick, I had to try to teach two groups at the same time. We got through it, but I don't think anyone learned much!
Mr Roger's circuit training was a welcome release of tension. The intense warm-up alone nearly floored me. We then did a circuit of at least 12 exercises followed by 3 planks. I led the warm-down/stretches and we all got out of there after an hour. Shaky legs!
At home, it was PS4 and beer time. Just because I could.


Thursday
I cycled in to to work and back.
After I'd driven all of my Dungeons and Dragons players home it was almost 10pm. Sorely tempted to flop down in front of the Playstation, I picked up the barbell instead and did an hour of squats, shrugs, overhead presses etc (including 300 bodyweight exercises.) Then I flopped in front of the Playstation!

Friday

An excellent karate session tonight. It reminded me of the sort of lesson Sensei Paul Hexley might have done 15 years ago! We were breaking blocks and punches down to their component parts, analysing our stances and slowing everything down.The kind of lesson that pushes everyone to do their best - from beginner to black belt. Great stuff.
Walking out of the dojo, I found that the world had changed! Snow had fallen, all around us. Children playing, having fun.
I just hope that the bloody snow has thawed before the Mad March Hare Sportive on Sunday!
At home, Lucy made a lovely homemade lasagne with all fresh ingredients. After that, I accidentally drank ale and watched Sons of Anarchy!

Saturday

When I woke, the snow was still there. Happily, as the day went on, it melted away. Phew!
I gave the road bike a thorough clean in readiness for the Mad March Hare on Sunday. While I was cleaning it, I noticed this:




A ruddy great tear/bald patch on my back tyre! There was no saving it, this was now an ex-tyre. So when I went to Dynamic Rides to pick up the rider numbers for tomorrow, I talked to them about winter tyres. They sold me a Continental one. I protested about the lack of tread but they were quite insistent - it was the one for the job. "An out and out Winter tyre," the man behind the counter proclaimed. Okay, then. To be fair, it does seem quite wide and sticky.
After a busy day of shopping and visiting, I finally got home to wolf down some soup and then to fit my new tyre.
Which I couldn't do.
The bloody thing just wouldn't go on!
Even good advice from Deadly Dan on the telephone didn't seem to help much. I ruined three inner tubes (one of which exploded next to my ear) trying to force the damn thing on. After about two hours of this, beyond angry, I gave up, had some tuna and pasta and watched Strade Bianche. Then, with a deep sigh, I went back to the man cave to wrestle with my new tyre once again. This time, I had it settled on the rim within 40 seconds! Don't ask me...?
The forecast for tomorrow is one of icy conditions and light rain. At least the wind should be gentle.

Sunday
A layer of frost covered the greenhouse, the lawn and the summer house. The heating hadn't kicked in yet. I made my way downstairs to heat porridge and then load the bike into the car.



By the time I got to Jonnie's house, the frost was disappearing. By the time we were in the lanes, the frost had gone and left behind wet patches on the tarmac and a few messy ridges of slush at the side of the road.
The first problem of the day was my steering. The headset on my Specialized seemed stiffer than usual, slow to react to my movements. It was like trying to pedal a supermarket trolley with a wonky wheel. It was terrible at first, but very gradually, whatever had caused the headset to stiffen loosened its grip and the bike felt like mine again.
The first 35 miles were smashing. I felt strong, Jonnie eventually gave me my sense of humour back (the steering issue had upset me greatly!) and the average was up around 14.6mph.
Then we came to Dover's Hill. At over a mile of constant climbing, it would be a challenge at any point. But with 35 miles already in the legs, it proved too much for many of the riders. I passed some walking, others merely standing with their bikes trying to get their breath back. I'm pleased to say that I passed a lot of riders on this hill, even some who were still trying to ride. I only got passed once and I soon overtook the guy when he suddenly stopped in the middle of the road! Near the top, the photographer shouted at me as I approached him: "Well done! Trainers and a beard! Brilliant!" I'm not sure what he meant and probably never will. Anyway, here's a picture of me on the climb that I stole from his website:



I managed to get up without stopping and I honestly think it was easier than last year's Saintbury Hill. The way back down was fast and just as steep. In the dry, it didn't present much of a challenge. The real problem for me was cramp. 
About 5 minutes after I had crested Dover's, I suddenly got a monumental cramp in my right hamstring. I knew I had to stop but then, within the same second, I cramped in the left hamstring too! How bizarre! It was all I could do to stop in the road and simply let the bike fall between my legs. I managed to hobble forward and just stand there in agony. I wanted to lie down but it would have been too dangerous on a relatively busy public road.I staggered, stiff-legged, over to the bike and hauled it upright. Then I leaned, head down, over the handle bars and waited for the pain to stop. I keep my thumb up above my head to let all the other riders know I didn't need assistance. Everyone of them was calling out to me as they went past. Jonnie found me in this position as he came around the corner, He told me that he thought the cramp was done with now and that I could ride on. I gingerly eased the bike forward in the little ring and it turned out that Dr Jonnie was right. I rode the remaining 5 miles to the feedstation in the little ring!
The feedstation was far superior to last year's effort. They had cake and bananas in abundance as well as a guy selling tea and coffee (shame about the queue). We sat down and demolished Lucy's flapjack and my Mom's Christmas cake. Lovely stuff!



Back on the road, It was simply a case of keeping the average above 13mph and trying not to use too much energy.
Unfortunately, energy was what I was beginning to run out of. We stopped to break open the emergency supplies (apple brandy) at the 10 miles to go mark. The remaining few miles were a painful slog, whilst feeling sick and empty and even a little dizzy. 



Lucy, her mother, my mom and the girls met us at the finish line. Jonnie and I were exhausted, very cold, but happy. 
We wandered into the tent and I sought out Fixed Wheel Brewery. I bought a stout and Jonnie had an ale. I asked them why I couldn't buy their excellent beers in a supermarket and the chap in charge explained that he liked to control the quality of his ales. A supermarket would need him to pasteurise his product and he wasn't prepared to do that. You've got to respect that, but I'm saddened by the fact that I can't pick up these marvellous beers on my weekly ASDA trip.



Back at Jonnie's, he fed us all beef casserole and sausages and Sally served two of her fantastic puddings. A couple of ales to wash it down and then everyone was ready for bed!

The times were very disappointing. I finished almost last of the 687 riders who actually turned up. 1000 people had paid for a race entry; were over 300 people put off by the frost?
Still, an enjoyable challenge and one that I'm sure Jonnie will talk me into next year!
73.43 miles at 13.2 mph.



No comments:

Post a Comment