. .

Search This Blog

Sunday, February 26, 2023

Week 13 - Half Term!

Monday

I woke up with a bit of a headache after yesterday's family lunch (the beer and wine were flowing!)

After an appropriate amount of recovery time, I ambled out to the shed to finish painting the ceiling.

In the evening, I did a weight lifting session and made dinner for the family. I ended up enjoying three ales while having dinner and then watching The Last of Us on TV!

Weight training, no junkfood, 3 beers


Tuesday

A lovely sunny day. Lucy spent most of it in the garden. I fiddled about with the car and managed to get the windscreen washer working (just replaced a fuse.) Then I walked the dogs, dropped the kids off at the train station, picked Lucy up from swimming, and did some ironing.

In the evening, I went along to the dojo. Sensei Gary was in charge and we did a lot of basics and combinations. We did a bit of attacking with partners. I was partnered with beginners so didn't get to have a go myself. However, it was all good training. Home for a late dinner and PlayStation!

Karate, no junkfood, no booze.


Wednesday

I had to do some shopping today. I made the mistake of driving into Birmingham City Centre - something I hadn't done for years. I thought it would be a simple case of parking up in Digbeth. However, these days I need a permit to park anywhere in Digbeth or in the surrounding streets. I ended up having to drive out to Nechells Green to find a parking spot. I was shocked to find it so dirty and neglected. It resembled one huge car park that had never been swept. The streets were filthy - the majority of the litter seemed to be made up of those blue gloves that people wore in 2020 as a COVID measure.

Anyway, I walked 40 minutes to the Rag Market, discovered that the Rag Market isn't open on Wednesdays, had an internal temper tantrum, walked 40 minutes back to the car, and drove home. While desperate for a wee. 

I was so glad to get back to Solihull - nearly everyone in the city centre seemed to be mad or sad or angry. I don't know what possessed me to go shopping in Birmingham - from now on, I'm only shopping in Solihull or online.

Anyway, I set about lifting up some weights to cheer myself up. 

Later that evening, Lucy and I watched Top Gun: Maverick. I was flabbergasted to see how closely it resembled the end of Star Wars Episode 4: the heroes having to fly down a canyon to shoot a target only 2m wide when their targeting system doesn't work, then having to handle an enemy pilot who is all dressed in black. One of the characters even says "Stay on target"! Despite that, I thought it was good fun and it was so refreshing to see actual film of jet fighters instead of CGI. The flight sequences were terrific!

Weight training, no junkfood, no alcohol


Thursday

I dragged myself out for my weekly 10K run. This week I was powered by The Wedding Present, Mudhoney and The Cure in my earphones. I completed my fastest run this year in 63 minutes and 10 seconds (yes, still horribly slow for most people.)

In the evening, Lucy and I went out to dinner at the Railway Inn in Dorridge. The food was great, the beer was good and the place was nicely decorated (the Mrs loves fairy lights.). The only complaint from me was because I was sitting by the door and ended up having to keep my coat on!

I drank one too many beers, ended up a bit giddy, and eventually got to bed to watch the start of England vs New Zealand in the test on my laptop!

10K run, no junkfood, lots of beer.


Friday

Yep, I woke up with a hangover. It wasn't too bad, however, and by the afternoon I was out on my bicycle. I went along to the Tudor Grange cycling track. To my continued amazement, people still walk their dogs on the track. Even though there were two blokes on road bikes going hell for leather around the track. Why not walk the dogs in the rest of the park? Anyway, I did 15 miles at 15.7mph.

Back home for Mouse's birthday party. Well, it wasn't really a party: The grown-ups stood around drinking in the kitchen, while the younger grown-ups played Mario Kart in the front room. I was in bed shortly after ten, watching the test live on my laptop.

Cycling, no junkfood, loads of beer


Saturday

Another mild hangover, another visit to the cycling track. This time, there were even more dog walkers, including one bloke who walked his dog around it three times, even though he could see I was trying to train. And he was one of those phone zombies who simply stared at his screen the whole time. Weird. It was a lot windier today and my average was only 15.1 mph over the 15 miles.

I went to Karate in the afternoon and got stuck in to some basics with Sensei Gary. It was a very enjoyable session and the young people seemed to love it.

In the evening, Lucy and I discovered the TV series Narcos which is highly entertaining. I enjoyed 3 more beers...

Cycling, no junkfood, 3 beers


Sunday

Up at 7 after some very vivid dreams about my brother selling drugs to my wife.

My cycling buddies and I left Jonnie's place at 9. Our training target today was to ride 44.6 miles at 13.7mph over some hilly terrain. We also had a 10 mph wind to deal with. We were going at a good rate for the first 17 miles. It was when we got to the Evesham Road that Jonnie and I realised that Roger and James were not behind us. We cycled back up the hill for a while until I discovered I had received missed calls from Roger (my phone was on silent for some reason.) It turned out that James had snapped his chain and none of us was carrying a quick link or a chain tool. Jane was kind enough to collect James in her car and drive him back to the cakestop. Roger, Jonnie and I continued on the route and arrived at the cakestop 7 miles later.

As soon as we arrived I went knocking on doors looking for a chain tool. Brian searched through his tool shed but couldn't find one. We had a nice chat anyway. Then I called on Stuart and of course he had two! I set to work on Jame's bike and, although it was a fiddly business, with Jonnie's help I manged to get his chain back together. Phew! This meant that there was no time for me to have cake! (Actually, the lads would have waited of course, but I didn't want to hold them up any longer.)

The remaining 21 miles home were very challenging. Poor James was stuck in the little gears (I had shortened his chain considerably) and now the wind was against us. After dropping down from High Cross, Roger and I took it upon ourselves to 'protect the average' by giving it the beans all the way to the end of Blythe Valley. At this point, we had managed to get a 13.9mph average and I eased off to let Jonnie and James join me. Roger pushed on and finished with a terrific 14.1mph average against the wind!

I walked the dogs in the park. It was a gloriously sunny day (just a bit cold and windy)


Blue skies!

After dog walking, I had a much needed shower and then headed off to Sunday Karate at Tudor Grange. The emphasis was once again on basics. I had a lovely time doing a bit of training and a bit of teaching. Great session. Some of the young people are now beginning to appreciate my strange sense of humour!

Back at home, I enjoyed two huge bowls of beef chilli and a bit of Toblerone (my favourite chocolate!)

Cycling: 46 miles at 13.8mph, junkfood, no beer.


No comments:

Post a Comment