. .

Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Week 12 - Trying to Last the Pace

 Monday

Cycled to work and back, did an hour of weight training, didn't eat junkfood, didn't drink booze.

Weight training, no junkfood, no alcohol.


Tuesday

Valentine's day! I cycled to work and back and then set about making the world's greatest creamy chicken and mushroom tagliatelle. We had a few drinks and watched a scary film. My perfect wife also presented me with tickets to see Worcestershire vs The Bears at Edgbaston! If she's lucky, I may even take her with me!

No excercise, no junkfood, a few drinks


Wednesday

See Monday

Weight training, no junkfood, no alcohol


Thursday

I cycled in to work and back and then went out for my weekly 10K run. Tonight was the first time this year when I didn't wear a running jacket - it was warm enough to wear just two thin layers. I had some good rock and roll in my earphones which helped me stagger along until I got home in 66 minutes.

A small selection of my running playlist

10K run, no junkfood, no alcohol


Friday

Today was a staff training day over at our impressive campus in Longbridge. The morning was okay - we attended some useful sessions and chatted to some good people. The afternoon was boring - just a lot of sitting around. We were glad to get out of there for our half-term break!

At the Karate dojo, Sensei Ronnie Christopher focused on kata and went through some minor changes to Hangetsu which he had been working on with Sensei Dave Hazard earlier that same day.

Karate, no junkfood, no alcohol


Saturday

I spent a lot of Saturday painting the inside of the shed in the back garden. I also made two curries, walked the dogs, and degreased and lubed the transmission on my bicycle. I also did an hour of weight training.

Weight training, no junkfood, no alcohol


Sunday

With Jonnie away, Roger and James came along to my place ready for a 9:00am start. Our target today was a 40+ mile bicycle ride at an average speed of at least 13.6mph. 

The lanes were dry, there wasn't much wind, and it wasn't cold (I was wearing only one pair of gloves - the first time this year!) I led the lads out on my 'Bushwood' start which avoids both Tom Hill and Gate Lane. James was very enthusiastic and suggested we start more of our rides using the same route. 

I reminded the chaps that we would face some climbing later on, and some headwinds, and that we needed to build a bit of a buffer while the lanes were flat. We got stuck in and had soon built up a very decent average speed. It got to the point where I was struggling to hold on! In fact, James and Roger pulled away from me on The Ridgeway, and I set a new PR on Strava just trying to catch them (which I didn't do!) We were 27 miles into the ride in Binton when the average eventually dropped below 15mph!

We got to the cakestop after 31 miles and a very healthy average of 14.9mph. Unfortunately, I forgot to pause the Strava app and it recorded me walking around Jane's house...

After refreshing ourselves with excellent coffee cake (Roger ate all of an enormous piece which I would have struggled to finish!) we headed off for the final 15 miles. My cries of "chatting pace, chaps" fell on deaf ears and Roger and James kept the pressure on all the way home! Maybe they just didn't want to talk to me... We got back to my house with an average speed of 14.6mph over 46 miles. Far faster than we needed to be at this stage in the training programme.

An hour later, we had four family visitors over for lunch. Lots of lovely puddings were on offer and the wine and beer flowed. We ended the evening watching some cricket and then playing some jazz on YouTube! I wobbled off to bed happy in the knowledge that I didn't have to get up for work in the morning.

Cycling: 46 miles, junkfood, booze

No comments:

Post a Comment