. .

Search This Blog

Sunday, February 5, 2023

Week 10 - New Personal Bests

 Monday

I cycled into work and back. At home, I did an hour of weight training and then made dinner for the family. We watched the latest episode of The Last of Us together.

Weight training, no junkfood, no alcohol


Tuesday

It was parents' evening at college today so I used the car. Lucy and I got home at about 6:30 and I was in no mood for any exercise. I wolfed down a huge dinner and then picked up Martha from her college course.

No exercise, no junkfood, no alcohol


Wednesday

I cycled in to work and back. I did an hour of weight training and then made dinner for the family. Tonight, I stayed up a little later than I should playing Fallout 4 on my Playstation.

Weight training, no junkfood, no alcohol


Thursday

I've finally got rid of the extra weight I put on at Christmas. I am 7 pounds (half a stone) lighter than I was at the start of 2023.

I cycled in to work. This afternoon, I was with the sports group. Much to their dismay, I had planned a circuit training session which consisted of the following exercises: tricep dips, medicine ball squats, medicine ball jump shots, rope skipping, bench step-ups, boxing, kick pad, barbell lifts, dumbell work, leg raises and press ups. I was partnered with the biggest and fittest lad there - a 17 year old who is well over 6 feet tall! We challenged each other on every exercise, each exercise lasting 30 seconds. By the end of it I was gasping and he was lying flat on his back. The rest of the group didn't seem to be suffering as much as we were! So then we did the whole circuit again, extending each exercise to 35 seconds. Needless to say, by the end of it I was sweaty mess and my muscles were aching.

The cycle home was a very slow 4.6 mile ride...

To my great surprise, I found that I had successfully talked myself into my weekly 10K run! With Genesis, Opeth and Haken in my earphones, I wobbled off into the dark for 6.2 miles. It was a hard, shaky, slow plod and I eventually stumbled through the door with a depressing time of 67 minutes and 29 seconds. However, I was still chuffed to have done it. After a pint of water and a shower, I put my feet up and watched some South African cricket with a few beers. Cheers!

Circuit training, 10K run, no junkfood, 3 beers


Friday

I cycled in to work and back. I was asked to teach at the dojo tonight. Sensei Ronnie put me in charge of the beginners. They were three very eager young children and they displayed great discipline and determination. All of them were mesmerised by Sensei Ronnie instructing the rest of the class in kumite so it was sometimes hard to get their attention!

Back at home, I unwound with a few beers on the couch.

Karate, no junkfood, 3 beers


Saturday

I went to the Post Office, cleaned some windows, did the washing up, hung the washing out, walked the dogs and did some ironing.

After all that, I set about a weight training session. I was very happy to set a new personal record for deadlift today. Not too bad considering that I've been hurling weights around since I was a teenager. I didn't think I could still be getting stronger at the age of 48.

I enjoyed a wonderful dinner of Panang Chicken before I settled down to watch John Wick - a load of tosh, but great fun!

Weight training, no junkfood, no alcohol


Sunday

With James temporarily unable to ride, three of us (myself, Jonnie and Roger) headed off into the lanes on Jonnie's Route - 38 miles with 1900ft of climbing. 

It was a crisp, cold, very bright morning. The sun was low and as we were heading south, I was having terrible trouble seeing ahead. It looked like I was actually riding into the sun! As the morning went on, visibility got better and I was soon into a good rhythm. As has been the case for the previous two rides, Roger was very strong and spent a lot of time off the front.

I took over on Spernal Lane and then took the lads down the A435. We had a slight tailwind with us and Jonnie and I both ended up getting personal best times for that segment. We worked well together and got to the cakestop after 23 miles with a healthy average speed of 14.2mph. 

I enjoyed two slices of excellent homemade banana and carrot cake with my coffee before heading off into the lanes again. The sun was even starting feel a little warm and there was hardly any wind. A lovely winter's day for riding! I got on the front for the first 4 miles, but then Rog was rocketing off into the distance once again! I rode with Jonnie while Rog continued to test his legs. We eventually came together after the Tom Hill climb, and rode the last 3 miles as a group.

It was a great day in the saddle and we were much faster than our target average speed. Sunshine, dry roads and hardly any wind certainly help!

Back at home, I scoffed cold leftovers and then got changed into my work gear.

The backgarden shed has developed a very bad case of mould over the winter months. Today, I had to scrub the whole thing down with bleach in readiness for painting next weekend. It was a long job - 2 hours and 20 minutes with no break. I was glad to get in the shower to get the smell of mould and bleach off me! 

The internet says I shouldn't breathe mould.


I did some ironing before dropping Mouse off at the pub to meet some friends. After dinner, I picked up Mouse and we noted how cold it was (the car told us it was already -2 and it wasn't yet 10:00pm.)

A bit of Playstation before bed.

Cycling, junkfood, no alcohol

No comments:

Post a Comment