. .

Search This Blog

Monday, April 2, 2018

How to Lose a Belly When You're 43 (part 24)

Monday
Cycled in to work and back.
Cooked Mexican scrambled eggs for the family.
Tonight, I did a good weights session that was almost as heavy as it was 12 months ago (before I hurt my right arm and had to reset my lifting programme.) It took me a full hour to do 6 different exercises at 5 sets of 5 reps along with my usual 300 bodyweight exercises.
I stayed up late playing Final Fantasy 15 which is a game that has failed to impress me so far.
Weight training, no junkfood, no alcohol.

Tuesday
Cycled in to work and back.
Tonight's Karate session involved a lot of talking, waiting and standing around: there was quite a bit to explain, however, because some of the procedures for basic kumite drills had changed since the weekend of instruction by Sensei Dave Hazard. Once again, Sensei Jody partnered me and, as always, pushed me to do my very best. One of his immense blocks stopped one of my pathetic punches and this resulted in a lump coming up on my arm. It now looks like I have an egg growing on my right forearm! It's going to be a wonderful bruise.
Back home for fish, vegetables and rice.
Karate, no junkfood, no alcohol.

Wednesday
Cycled in to work. There was a birthday party at work with cakes and sweet things everywhere. I resisted it all! I cycled home feeling smug.
I did a heavy (for me) weights session. During my training, Lucy's 6' 4" father came to see how I was getting on. At that moment, I was curling 36kg (79lbs) on a barbell. He cheerfully explained that when he was younger he used to curl more than that with one hand...
I made a beef stir fry for the family, picked up Mouse from a school function, had a cup of tea and went to bed before 10.
Weight training, no junkfood, no alcohol.

Thursday
Weight: 10st 1lbs
I'm quite pleased to see that I've dropped 4lbs in 10 days. It must be due to the fact that I've left the sweet stuff alone, because I certainly haven't cut out the beer.
It was the last day at work before the Easter holidays! I cycled in to work, resisted all the celebratory cake on offer, and then cycled home.
Martha and I went for our weekly short run. She set off incredibly quickly, almost at a sprint, and I struggled to stay with her. She soon slowed down, however. We managed to get back in our fastest time yet, but we still have a long way to go to meet our target of 14 minutes for 1.5 miles.
Lucy had prepared homemade spicy chicken with sweet potatoes, onion rings and salad. I had two dinners! Tonight, safe in the knowledge that I wasn't teaching in the morning, I indulged in three wonderful ales: one each from Tower Brewery, Sadler's and finally Wye Valley. Heavenly!
Run: 1.6 miles at 9:53 pace, no junkfood, 3 ales.

Friday
Weight: 10st 2lbs
Up early. I went out at 11am for my first 10K run in 10 weeks! I was expecting the worst but was surprised to find that, besides some aching behind my right knee, I was okay! I got back in a half-decent time (for me) of 63 minutes.
I scoffed a big mushroom omelette as soon as I got back, and then had a vitamin C drink.
I had a few beers in the evening while watching Annihilation on Netflix.
Run: 10K in 63 minutes, no junkfood, 3 beers.

Saturday
Today's dojo session was excellent as usual. Sensei Gary had me working hard on my footwork: I'm too slow to move and that has to change as I progress up the belts. Once again, I was lucky enough to be partnered with Sensei Jody. We were practising the same attacks and blocks as we did on Tuesday: of course, this meant that my attacks were being blocked on the same arm and that meant I was being repeatedly hit on my bruise! By the end of the lesson it had swelled up to the size of a medium egg.
Thanks, Sensei
 At the end of the lesson we sang happy birthday to Sensei Gary before Sensei Jody, Martha and I stayed behind to do some fitness training on the pads.
In the evening, people gathered at The Pump House in Shirley to celebrate Sensei Gary's 29th birthday. I was very pleasantly surprised to find my favourite beer on tap: Saddle Black!

Best beer I've tried so far.

I stayed a little longer than I had intended and ended up having 2 pints of this lovely stuff.
Karate, no junkfood, 2 bottles of ale, 2 pints of ale.

Sunday
Jonnie and I didn't have much time this morning so we decided to ride directly to Wilmcote and back at 15.0mph. We set off really well despite my shocking headache caused by last night's strong ales. When we emerged from Aston Cantlow, 14 miles later, we had an average of 15.7mph!
After restoring ourselves with tea and cake, we began the uphill ride home. Unfortunately, a headwind quickly sapped me of my strength, the hangover kicked in, and I found the average dwindling down at an alarming rate. By the time we were struggling up out of Ullenhall, it had dribbled away to a disappointing 14.9mph. Jonnie was a lot stronger than he was last week and he found himself having to wait for me, especially in the last 5 miles or do. We eventually got back to base after 29 miles with a half-decent average of 14.6mph. I'm sure Jonnie could have made 15 if he hadn't waited for me.
We were locked out so we cycled to church to get the key from Sally. After a refreshing hair of the dog, I cycled home to organise an Easter egg hunt and to watch the Tour of Flanders.
In the evening, Jonnie and Sally hosted a family party where I ate naughty stuff and drank far, far, far too much!
Happy Easter!

Cycling: 29 miles, junkfood, loads of beer and wine.








No comments:

Post a Comment