. .

Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Week 25 - Monty

Monday

Cycled to work and back, did an hour of weight lifting.

Weight training, no junkfood, no alcohol


Tuesday

Cycled to work and back, did an hour of weight lifting.

Weight training, no junkfood, no alcohol


Wednesday

Cycled to work and back, did an hour of weight lifting.

Weight training, no junkfood, no alcohol


Thursday

One of the saddest days of my life. After work, the family gathered to take our beloved Monty dog to the vets. He was 13 years old and very ill. Just a tired, thin shadow of his former self. Thankfully, the vet took the decision out of our hands and told us what had to be done.
Afterwards, we brought him home and I set about digging a hole in the back garden. As the sun went down and the garden lights began flickering on, we laid Monty to rest. Then we sat in the garden with him, talking about him and toasting his memory.


Yes, you could say that he was only a dog, but to us, it feels like part of our family is now missing. My fondest memories of him are the quiet times: When I'd be watching cricket on TV on my own, I'd suddenly become aware of him curled next to me, and I'd genuinely have no idea how long he'd been there. Or when I'm working on something in the garden or cleaning the bike, he'd be there with me for the entire job. Then when it was time to enjoy the last of the sun with a beer, he'd be stretched out at my feet. Not a noisy, fussy dog, he just wanted to be with people and join in with what ever they were doing. I'll miss him.

Beer in the garden

Helping me clean the bicycle

Keeping me company in the Man Cave

Cricket fans

No exercise, no junkfood, plenty of booze


Friday

I woke up feeling terrible. I forced myself to cycle in to work. By 10am I was okay and managed to deliver a half-decent lesson. Our lovely friends Jonnie and Sally got in touch and by 6:30 Lucy and I were at their house drinking beer and wine. We went out for a curry, had a few more drinks, and then strolled back to their place so Jonnie and I could watch the Giro highlights (and drink some more beer!)
Lucy helped me home so I could watch an episode of The Walking Dead (and yes, drink yet another beer!)

No exercise, junkfood, booze

Saturday

I woke up feeling awful. After two breakfasts (bacon and eggs followed by muesli), Lucy put me to work shovelling soil into 4 different pots around the garden. After this, I pulled on some lycra and forced myself out into the lanes on my bicycle. I rode 15.99 miles and ended at Jonnie's place to pick up the car. It was a lovely day, and Jonnie was out in his shorts, mowing his lawn.
I got home for a sit down and a whole pizza to myself!
After this, I was back out in the sunshine building a planter to be placed on top of where we buried the dog. After a couple of hours of this, I moved to the front of the house to clean my bike top to bottom. By the time it looked like a new bicycle, the sun was low in the sky. Luke joined me for a beer in the last of the sunshine. It was a very strange feeling not having Monty out there with us, but I know it's something I can't keep dwelling on, and just have to get used to.
A little later, the family sat down to enjoy Lucy's marvellous chicken and pasta oven dish. Top notch!

Cycling, no junkfood, beers


Sunday

The weekly bike ride. I met James at Jonnie's house. We presented James with his birthday present before heading off into the lanes. As the birthday boy, James got to choose the route. He sent us down Bushwood lane and then onto our usual High Cross route. It was a lovely bright warm day with just a slightly chilly northerly wind to keep me in two layers instead of one.
We discussed the sad news about Monty, and we also discussed the sad news about there being no Tommy Godwin Sportive this year - a ride that we always looked forward to, not least because of the wonderful cakes and savouries at the halfway stop!
Speaking of cakes, the chocolate cake at Wilmcote was lovely today! After refreshment, I entertained myself by swatting flies with a miniature tennis racket. Unfortunately, one of the insects landed in Eric's tea - which meant I had to go to brew another one!
Back on the bikes, we decided that the day was far too nice to go straight home. Instead, we made up an impromptu route to get us up to Purity Brewery and then joined up with our course back to Jonnie's.
Today's ride was 37 miles in the glorious sunshine at 14.0mph. 
With no time for a beer, I cycled back home for leftover pasta, and then Lucy and I went out to buy bags of compost from the garden centre. After that, I set about painting the planter. I gave it two coats of outdoor paint before digging it in place and then filling in with the compost we had fetched earlier.
By the time I was digging it in, Eric, Jane and Tilly turned up for dinner. 
Once the planter was in place, I joined them for a fantastic homemade quiche, roasted potatoes, pickled onions and beer!
In the evening, we did our best to cheer on RCB in the IPL, but they were soundly defeated by the Titans despite a century by the amazing King of Cricket Virat Kohli. After that, we snoozed in front of golf before it was time for bed.

Cycling, junkfood, 3 beers



No comments:

Post a Comment