. .

Search This Blog

Monday, May 1, 2023

Week 22 - One in the Eye

Monday

I cycled in to work, I cycled home, I did some weight training. I made dinner for the family.

Weight training, no junkfood, no alcohol


Tuesday

I cycled in to work. On the cycle home I almost got killed by a driver in a sporty hatchback with blacked out windows. At home, I discovered that Martha was too ill to attend dojo, so I decided to do some weight training instead. I worked until 10pm preparing lessons for the mock inspection next week.

Weight training, no junkfood, no alcohol


Wednesday

I cycled in to work. Stress in the staff room! The date for the mock inspection has shifted! We don't know if had been suddenly changed or if we had simply been given the wrong date. Back to the drawing board as far as lesson prep is concerned...There was a short emergency meeting called after lessons and then I cycled home via the Post Office.

I did an hour's weight training during which I set a personal best for the military press (overhead press). I'm still surprised that I can set new records for myself at the age of 48 after weight training for most of my life.

I made a chicken and mushroom stir fry for the family.

Weight training, no junkfood, no alcohol


Thursday

I used the car for work because I had larger items to take to the Post Office after work. The mood at work was tense, with a lot of people genuinely stressed and worried about the mock inspection. My own personal view is that an inspector is always welcome to walk into any of my lessons, but I understand that people want to be seen to be doing the best they can. I ended the day by organising a mini-football tournament for my students. I tried to referee. Afterwards, the captain of one of the losing sides informed me that I was a jolly poor referee and I don't know what I'm doing (or words to that effect.) I couldn't agree more.

Back at home, I forced myself to go running in the rain. I staggered around for 10 kilometres. It took me over 64 minutes and I hated every second of it. However, I had some great music in my earphones including Weezer, Hell is for Heroes, The Strokes and Motorhead.

After a shower, I had a few beers with my dinner. And relax...

10K run, no junkfood, booze


Friday

I cycled in to work. I got lots of paperwork ready for the inspectors (it's all about evidence!) and pretended to pay attention to the afternoon training sessions. Then I set off for home. I was just over a mile from home when an insect flew directly into my left eye. It stung a lot and forced me to stop the bike and rub at my eye (probably the wrong thing to do.) When I could open my eye again, I carried on home. 40 minutes later, I managed to get the thing out of my eye - this involved much prodding about with bits of wet tissue. My eye was a bit sore, bit seemed okay.

Martha and I headed off to the dojo. During the warm up, Guv and I were laughing at how stiff my legs were. I could barely kick groin height!

Martha and I didn't get to train tonight, we both had to teach. I like teaching, but I was in the mood to do some Karate. I hope Sensei Gary and Sensei Ronnie come back to Friday night training soon!

Back at home, I felt a few beers were necessary with my dinner!

Karate, no junkfood, 3 beers


Saturday

I woke up at 3am having difficulty opening my left eye! Whatever the insect had done had given me conjunctivitis symptoms. It was the same when I woke up again at 7. A good wash of the face sorted that out. I made sure to wear my cycling glasses for today's bike ride with the chaps.

For some reason, we trusted the BBC and changed our weekly ride from Saturday to Sunday. According to the BBC forecast, there was 0% chance of rain this morning, so of course, we cycled off into the rain at 9am...

Happily, it didn't rain for long and the morning got warmer as we headed south. Jonnie was on fire straight away and James and I spent the first half an hour or so trying to catch him. He is a rare talent going downhill. We went along our Two Towers route and then headed down The Widowmaker, eventually cruising through Snitterfield at chatting pace. I dragged the lads along the Armouries and then James did an awesome pull along Featherbed Lane - I'm surprised that we didn't set any personal bests on his wheel.

As usual, the cake at Wilmcote was splendid. By now, the sun was doing it's best to break through the clouds and it was nice and warm. I decided to leave my jacket with Jane before heading off into the lanes again. We had a pleasant ride back to Jonnie's place before heading off on our separate ways. 36 miles of riding at 14.2mph.

Unfortunately, when I got home I realised that I had left my house keys in my jacket. Which was at Wilmcote. I had to cycle to Martha's place of work to borrow her key!

I had a busy afternoon of lunch, dog walking, mopping the kitchen and ironing before Lucy came back from her London trip wth Dodgy Debbie. She made a lovely dinner. By now, my left eye was becoming very watery and there was some yellow stuff in there too. It was rather uncomfortable. 

I was Martha's driver tonight - she went to a work leaving drink at a Solihull pub. I eventually picked her up at 11pm, and then staggered off to bed with my leaking eye driving me crazy...

Cycling, junkfood, no alcohol


Sunday

I woke up with my left eye still sealed shut with gunk. However, as soon as I had wiped it away, my eye felt a lot better.

Today was a busy one: marking IT unit folders, putting Pokemon cards up for sale on eBay, putting some barbed wire along some fence panels in the garden, attaching some ceramic planters to the front of the house, putting up bunting for the coronation next week, and walking the dogs. Oh, and having lunch while watching some cricket!

In the evening, I headed off to the Sunday Karate session. Sensei Gary and Sensei Ronnie were in charge of a grading, so I had to teach for the entire lesson! This was unexpected so I had no lesson plan. I was faced with people who had just achieved their orange belts right up to people my own grade. Plus we didn't have much room. I did my usual warm up and then blasted them through basics followed by kata. We only had room to do three steps forward and then three steps back.  It must have been quite boring for them, I hope they get a proper instructor next week!

Back at home, I watched cricket with a beer or two, had a lovely dinner, and then watched The Walking Dead until midnight!

Karate, no junkfood, beers




No comments:

Post a Comment