. .

Search This Blog

Monday, October 9, 2023

Week 9 - Summer in October

Monday

Not a good day for training. I was still in lazy mode and couldn't seem to shake myself out of it. I didn't do any exercise, but I did drink some beer.

No exercise, no junkfood, 3 beers


Tuesday

I didn't drink any booze today, but I didn't go to the dojo either.

No exercise, no junkfood, no beers


Wednesday

Back in training!

I cycled to work and back and then picked up some weights for an hour. I didn't break any records but it was a good session.

Weight training, no junkfood, no booze


Thursday

After cycling home from work, I jumped in the car and Lily I went along to Solihull to watch Saw X. I have a dim recollection of watching the original Saw film, but couldn't tell you what happened or who any of the characters were. Suddenly, I'm watching part 10, having missed out the previous 8! Anyway, it wasn't as intense as I was expecting, the plot was full of holes, and some of the acting was distinctly B movie. But it was still fun, Lily enjoyed herself and it was a nice night out. 

Home late with no time to do any exercise before bed.

No exercise, no junkfood, no beers


Friday

I cycled to work, got some stuff done, but then realised how much paperwork must be completed before Ofsted arrive in the very near future. I just don't think it will be possible. However, I will give it my best shot and not get stressed about it. The trick will be to keep other members of the department, including my wife, from getting too stressed...

I cycled home, jumped in the shower, and then headed off to Sensei Ronnie's Karate session. It was all about kicks tonight. Unfortunately, I had to supervise the white belts again, but at least it was fun working with our beginners.

Back at home, I resisted a beer, ate loads of homemade spaghetti bolognese, and then drank tea while playing video games until midnight!

Karate, no junkfood, no booze.


Saturday

Up before 8 to make bacon and eggs for me and Lucy. After this, the morning was dedicated to all that Ofsted paperwork I mentioned earlier. I spent about 3 hours marking initial assessments while following the Cricket World Cup.

After a healthy lunch (plaice with green beans) I walked the dog in the park. It was unseasonably warm and I strolled around in a t-shirt and getting some vitamin D on my head.

This afternoon, I planned a version of Sensei Ronnie's kicking session from yesterday. I had 13 hard-working enthusiastic young people in the dojo. They got stuck in to partner work, pad work and then the heavy bag to finish. A good atmosphere today!

Back at home, I manned the barbecue, drank a few beers, and then watched Strictly with the family.

Karate, no junkfood, beers


Sunday

Up at 7 to get ready for a morning of cycling. At 9, I arrived at Jonnie's place and then, along with James, we set off to Luddington.

It was a glorious day! The warmest October day I can remember. Dry, bright and hardly a breath of wind. We took full advantage of the conditions and shot off towards Ullenhall. We were chatting but keeping the pace high too. Jonnie was feeling sprightly and even took the lead when bombing along the A4189 between the churches. As third man for that section, I realised how little effort is needed compared to working on the front. It was quite an eye opener!

By the time we were flying along Aston Cantlow we had an average of 15.3mph and an idea formed in my mind: could we reach an average of 16mph before we got through Luddington? When I first put the idea to the chaps, it was met with disbelieving sniggers. When they realised I was serious we got down to business and applied the necessary pressure to the pedals! 

It was a hard slog up to the A46. After a quick crossing, I got on the front up to the Blue Boar and dragged us along, getting a PR for myself in the process. Then it was the mile and half descent through Binton - one of the most fun things you can do on a bike! After this, James dropped a chain, we all met up at the junction, and then headed along the B439 to Luddington. 

Suddenly solo, I tried to wait for the lads but keep my speed above 16mph. Through Luddington, a van overtook me and then slowed to a halt because of walkers on the road and oncoming traffic. This helped the chaps get back on my wheel. We were bombing along, closing on our target when suddenly: bloody road works! We pulled up at the temporary traffic lights with a frustratingly close average speed of 15.9mph. Oh well, next time.

We trickled along for a bit, Jonnie and I having a chat, while James stretched his legs along the Ridgeway to Wilmcote.

I'm not sure what type of cake we had, but it was very nice. It was also nice to see India restricting Australia to a very slow run rate in the World Cup.

By now it was bright and sunny. Jonnie and I stripped down to one layer before setting off along the last 18 miles - High Cross Return. We were in high spirits as James led us along Featherbed Lane. We crawled up the steep Gospel Oak Lane climb together and then chatted down past the Armories. Through Snitterfield and then, with Jonnie off the front, I managed to drop my chain at the bottom of Wolverton Hill. James waited for me, and as soon as I had my chain back on I powered after Jonnie up the climb. I gave myself a PR trying to catch him but he made it to the top before I did!

James, as strong as ever, carried on pushing and managed to get on the wheel of a guy who had whooshed past us a little earlier! He eventually sat up so the three of us could ride together for the remainder of the ride. 

It was a gloriously bright and sunny day. A day to appreciate the beautiful countryside where we live and to enjoy the company of good mates. Back at Jonnie's place, we shook hands and I took the opportunity to snap yet another photo for this blog:


As soon as I got back, I started the ironing while watching India's slow, relentless victory over Australia in the World Cup. Jane came round for some curry and I enjoyed a few beers!

Cycling: 45 miles at 15.1mph, junkfood, 3 beers


Summary

Nope, still not training properly. Still too many beers... The 2nd Dan black belt is a long way off.


No comments:

Post a Comment