. .

Search This Blog

Friday, July 7, 2023

Week 31 - To boldy go

 Monday

As seems to be the pattern lately, I woke up on Monday morning with a horrible headache. I'd overdone it again on Sunday night.

I convinced myself to get on the bike in an effort to wake up. I cycled to work.

Today was graduation for our students. This morning, I managed to cobble together two short speeches (I have two tutor groups this year) and was able to stand at the front long enough to dish out some certificates and give the students a clap. The morning graduation was for our higher level learners in the department. During the disco, I did some of my best Spotify DJing but the students soon left to go hang out somewhere else or just to go home.

The afternoon graduation was for learners who need a little bit more support. After the certificates and speeches, when I put on the first track of my DJ set, it all went off! I've never seen anything like it! They danced non-stop for over an hour, singing along at the top of their voices, break dancing, twerking, booty shaking, you name it. It was bonkers and we all loved every minute of it! My friend the wheelchair user from Drayton Manor (see week 29) was obviously having a good day. He wasn't in a wheelchair today, he was up and boogying for an hour - he even stripped down to his vest because he was overheating!

I know, it's hard to believe I get paid for having this much fun...

After cycling home, I set about making dinner for the family. I also set about drinking three ales and being thankful that I have such a fantastic job.

No exercise, no junkfood, 3 beers


Tuesday

A much more sensible day. I cycled in to work. I organised, marked, verified, and shuffled papers around. Then I was cycling home.

I did a good weights session for an hour and then watched the first half of THOR: Love and Thunder with Lucy and Mouse.

Weight training, no junkfood, no alcohol


Wednesday

I drove in with Lucy today. I did a lot more paper shuffling, a bit of marking, enrolled two students, and cleared out some folders. I also listened to England struggle against Australia at Lord's until they finally let Root bowl. He took two wickets in 3 deliveries. The man is a genius.

Home via the Post Office to drop off some eBay sales.

At home, I made a beef chilli and then set about an hour of weight training.  Lucy was out with Tilly.

Mouse and I scoffed chilli while watching the second half of the Thor film.

A little later, I got the call to pick the ladies up from Solihull station.

Then straight to bed with a cup of tea.

Weight training, no junkfood, no alcohol


Thursday

I cycled in to work today. I got loads of paperwork done and manged to to listen to TMS for most of the day too. I cycled home trying to convince myself to go for a run. Unfortunately, I just couldn't talk myself into it! I just felt too tired. Instead, I did an hour of weight training and drank a pint of milk.

Lucy made a lovely dinner, and we watched the Ashes highlights (Today at the Test on the BBC.)

Weight training, no junkfood, no alcohol


Friday

Today was a teacher training day at another campus, so I had to drive. It was okay, as training days go, but we were all glad to get out of there. Back at home, I found I had the motivation to go for a run (even though I would have much preferred to go to the dojo). I quickly made a running playlist for my earphones, laced up my shoes, and headed out. It was a very sweaty affair and I really had to push in the last couple of miles to get home in a time of 63 minutes 37 seconds. I played a lot of good tunes on the run, but the one that really kept me going was The Ecstasy of Gold by Ennio Morricone. Inspirational!

After a shower, I was able to resist a recovery beer. I had some of Lucy's lovely homemade dinner instead!

10K run, no junkfood, no alcohol


Saturday

I met James at Jonnie's place and the three of us cycled off into the lanes. I was in two layers today; there was a chilly wind about. Jonnie was in a single layer, bare arms defiant against the cold. I don't know how many layers James was wearing - probably about seven.

It was a bit windy from the west, so we decided to use our Purity Temple route which would put the wind behind us when we turned towards Wilmcote. What was almost immediately apparent was Jonnie's increasing strength and fitness. He has been noticeably faster on the previous two rides. Today, he was so far off the front that he had to wait for us more than once! We had a chat about this and put forward a theory that it's because the weather is warm and sunny. He's spending even more time outdoors being active, getting lots of vitamin D and fresh air. That's the theory anyway. Maybe he just changed his brand of coffee? Whatever the reason, James and I spent most of the day trying to keep up with him!

We pulled over at Wilmcote as usual. There was a tremendous-looking chocolate cake on offer but I managed to resist it through sheer force of will (remember you're reading a fitness blog, right? Stop laughing.)

We were pleased to see Tilly at the cakestop too. After watching a few balls of the Ashes on TV, it was time to climb up on the bikes once more and head for home.

We did a great job of speeding along, keeping Jonnie in check for most of the ride. Another way I can tell that he's fitter is his body language at the top of the hills: Usually, when he gets to the top of a climb and he's in front of me, I have to be careful not to run into the back of him. Usually, he stops pedalling, crawls to about 9mph and hangs his head for a few seconds. Not today! As soon as he reaches the top of a climb, the New Jonnie applies the pressure to get onto the descent and then speeds off into the distance! James and I had to work hard to catch up with him.

There was about 9 miles to go when I decided I should have had cake. The legs were starting to feel empty, and I felt like a sit down on a comfy couch was in order. However, the only option was to press harder on the pedals and to try to keep up with Jonnie. James and I felt we finally had the better of him on the way up the Danzey Green climb. We worked together to distance him, throwing ourselves up Tom Hill and keeping the pressure on. When we reached the junction with Broad Lane, I turned to James to suggest we slow down because it wasn't fair on Jonnie. As I was speaking, Jonnie sped past me on my right! We hadn't dropped him at all!

We carried on together for the remaining three miles. Just like last week, the lads were kind enough to let me win the sprint up to Jonnie's place.

After some pasta, and a change of clothes, it was time for this afternoon's Karate lesson.

I wrote out my lesson plan and headed off for an hour of pads and partner work. However, just as I was introducing my lesson to the class, Sensei Gary arrived to give me a new karategi (thanks Sensei!) and to let me know he wanted a basics and kata lesson! He had a brief word with the class and then he was off again.

I mentally binned my lesson plan and got on with basics and kata! Basics went well, but teaching kata to all grades including white belts and a black belt is hard. I tried everyone doing their kata to my count but it was difficult to get round to everyone after each move. After that, I asked students to get into groups and work together on their kata. I moved between grades answering questions. Then I had two groups at a time blasting through their kata to the first kiai. Heavy bag to finish, of course!

After this, it was a mad dash home to get changed and jump in the car for a 1960s themed fancy dress party in the Nevill Arms in Market Harborough. It was a fantastic party with loads of food and drink all night. It seemed that 1960s themed meant that everyone was dressed as a hippy. Apart from me...

Not everyone got the memo...

Anyway, I started the evening with a beer and a chat with Jonnie, James and Carl. I laughed so hard that I actually strained a muscle in my side!

There was plenty of junkfood on offer but I managed to resist it. I didn't resist any beers however! I ended the night by sipping water in the pub before sneaking off to bed before midnight to read my book.

Cycling, no junkfood, beer


Sunday

I woke up feeling a bit worse for wear. After two breakfasts in the pub and plenty of water I was feeling okay. We went over to Paul's place to drink tea. He very kindly put the Ashes on TV.

Back at home, I felt well enough to do some weight training! I did a good session, but I did notice that my left knee is still a bit tender. I'll have to keep my eye on it. For some reason, I decided that today was a junkfood day so I had crisps and biccies while watching the Ashes and doing the ironing.

In the evening, I relaxed with three ales.

Weight training, junkfood, 3 beers



No comments:

Post a Comment