. .

Search This Blog

Monday, June 26, 2023

Week 30 - Eric Escapes from Hospital

 Monday

I really did overdo the celebrating last night. I felt awful this morning. I managed to sit in the passenger seat when my wife drove me to work.

As usual, teaching made me feel better and I soon forgot how rotten I felt once I started working with our wonderful young people.

Back at home, however, I couldn't face any exercise. I curled up with a beer and watched some cricket (the Ashes). Then I made dinner for the family.

No exercise, no junkfood, 3 beers


Tuesday

Still didn't use the bike for work. At home, I was all set to do some weight lifting - I just thought I'd have a quick look at the Ashes. I ended up watching it until close of play and didn't do any exercise.

No exercise, no junkfood, no alcohol


Wednesday

I rode in on the mountain bike. It was a quiet day at work and for some reason it seemed to go by very quickly. Before I knew it, I was back on the bike and heading home.

Back in the man cave, I did an hour of weight training. I didn't set any personal records tonight, but it was a good session which left me aching.

I then made chicken and mushroom stir fry for the family.

Weight training, no junkfood, no alcohol


Thursday

On the bike again for work. Again, the day went quickly, and before I knew it I had cycled home and started lifting weights. I didn't set any records today, but it was a good lift that left me feeling pumped!

Lucy had made a chicken and mushroom curry. Just what I needed. 

Weight training, no junkfood, no alcohol


Friday

Some worrying news in the morning: Eric was feeling poorly and an ambulance was taking him to hospital.

We went into work but soon left to drive out to the hospital to be with Jane and Eric. Laura joined us there too.

We went back to work in the afternoon. In the evening, I did some weight training before warming up some curry for myself. I made sure I stayed sober in case we were needed back at the hospital.

Weight training, no junkfood, no booze.


Saturday

In the morning, I had two breakfasts and then cycled up to the bank to deposit a cheque. Lucy went back to the hospital to be with her dad. I cycled to the dojo for the afternoon lesson. I introduced the group to 4 different basic defences against a jodan oi-zuki attack. I explained that these were taught to me by Sensei Paul Hexley almost 25 years ago. I know that Sensei Ronnie wants to see more variation in counter attacks, so I though these would help. We also did some kicking basics, some pad work with partners, two kata, and then finished on the heavy bag. Phew! Hopefully, the students didn't have time to get bored.

Almost as soon as I got home, Sensei Jason arrived to swap some bicycle pedals with me, and to sit out in the sunshine in my back garden. Then Sensei Gary called to ask about Eric.

A little later Lucy called to give me an update - Eric was feeling much better! There was even talk of him getting out of hospital tomorrow! Fantastic news.

The evening was taken up by washing up and ironing. Lucy didn't get home until almost 9:30!

Karate, no junkfood, no alcohol


Sunday

Up and out with the lads at 9am. We cycled into the strong sunshine and barely noticed the headwind. It was a single layer day and we were already sweating after the first few miles. We headed straight down to Aston Cantlow where a large gentleman on a racing bike swished passed us. I decided to chase him down and thankfully Jonnie and James came with me. We were about to reach his wheel when he turned off on a different route. After this, we slowed the pace a little, agreeing that it was too hot to work hard. 

Too hot to work hard

One of the main obstacles today was the amount of traffic on the road. It took us a very long tome to get across the A46. Once across, I put the hammer down and picked up a silver trophy as I led the lads up to the Blue Boar pub.

Next, the descent through Binton. Jonnie whooshed past me, quickly followed by James. Even though I was pedalling and didn't brake at any point, I simply couldn't catch them on this long, sweeping downhill! The only reason I caught up with James after the descent was because his chain fell off!

We tooled along through Luddington next to the river Avon. After this, we went up past Anne Hathaway's house and then on to the Ridgeway. I had already planned to go for a Strava trophy here: the wind was behind us, it was a warm day and I was feeling frisky. I applied the pressure to the pedals...

I managed to get a silver medal along the Ridgeway on the way into Wilmcote. It is a section I've ridden 26 times before, so a silver was okay. I was 2 seconds slower than my best time (set in August last year).

At Wilmcote, we got stuck into cake and talked about poor Eric still trapped in hospital. We all agreed that it was a priority to get him home as soon as possible. Happily, before we left, Jane got the call to say that Eric would be allowed to come home today!

We set off feeling great, had a nice chat in the sunshine, and the lads were in such a good mood that they let me win the sprint up the hill to Jonnie's place.

Back home, I was put to work vacuuming and mopping. At about 4, Lucy and I drove to the hospital to pick up Eric and take him back to Wilmcote.

In the evening, in the last of the sunshine, Lucy, Luke and I sat out in the garden and had a few drinks.

I tried to watch Elton John at Glastonbury on the TV but it was boring, so I drank some more beer and then went to bed!

Cycling: 40 miles at 14.5 mph, junkfood, beers





No comments:

Post a Comment