. .

Search This Blog

Thursday, July 13, 2023

Week 32 - 2 parties

Monday

My knee is bad today. I made a decision to not do any weight lifting for a while. Instead, I went for a slow bike ride in the easy gears. I covered 15 miles at 13.1mph (really slow!)

At home, I made dinner for the family.

Cycling, no junkfood, no beers


Tuesday

After work, I went along to the dojo. I strapped up my left knee and hoped it wasn't a kicking lesson.

We started with kicks. Snapping out with my left leg really hurt the knee, but it was worse when my left leg was the supporting leg. I was glad when we got to do some partner work and kata.

As usual, Karate made me feel 100% better mentally, and I went home in a good mood.

Karate, no junkfood, no booze.


Wednesday

A strange day. I cycled to work and back. My knee was aching. At home, I was pacing about - I usually lift weights when I get home but I didn't want to do any more damage to the knee. I thought I'd have a glass of beer to chill out...

Next thing I know, I'm partying with several beers and blasting out my favourite 80s tunes (Van Halen!) I managed to make a stir fry for the family, but was told it was a bit too spicy!

No exercise, no junkfood, lots of booze.


Thursday

The last day of the summer term! Dodgy Debbie came round to our house this morning and then the three of us drove into work. I managed to stay awake until 4 and then we chucked James into the car and we went to meet some of our other friends in the pub! I drove home, got on the bike, and cycled back to join in the fun. After three beers, I cycled home on the cycle path and then started a fire in my new fire pit! Lucy and Dave form next door came to keep me company until Debbie and Lucy eventually got back from the pub.

Needless to stay, I had too many beers and stayed up too late!

No exercise, no junkfood, beer


Friday

I woke up feeling terrible. I spent the day at home. I managed to eat healthily, but found myself having a couple of ales in the evening watching TV.

No exercise, no junkfood, 3 beers


Saturday

I didn't quite know what to expect at this afternoon's assessment session in the dojo. I knew that Sensei Gary was downstairs ready to assess my students, so I started my class with kata - this is the area where they need the most work. We also had two brand new students - two well behaved little dots who, obviously, didn't have a clue what to do! They got stuck in, didn't have any tantrums and there were no tears... Future black belts both!

The assessment was a lot less formal than I expected, and everyone left with a sticker and a smile. Just as it should be!

Sensei Gary and I, along with some selected others, had an instructors' meeting afterwards!

Back at home, I helped myself to a couple of beers while Lucy made a fantastic dinner.

Karate, no junkfood, 3 beers


Sunday

It all started very healthily. I met James, Jonnie and Roger at 9am for our weekly bicycle ride in the countryside. It has been a long time since we had ridden with Roger, at least 8 weeks. Unexpectedly, Roger put himself on the front early on, the rest of us following his wheel as he strove up the climbs. After this frantic start, Jonnie reclaimed his place on the front and, as has been usual for the last month, the rest of us tried to stay with him! He set a blistering pace along Featherbed Lane and, barely pedalling, I got a Strava cup just hanging onto his wheel!

The cake was awesome, the weather was hot. I stripped off my base layer. 

Four of us back together again. As it should be.

On the way back, Roger found the 8 weeks off the bike had had a detrimental effect. However, he got his head down and finished the 37 miles at over 14mph. Awesome stuff! (As usual, the lads let me win the sprint for home.)

Two hours later, I made my way back to Jonnie's place. I joined Jonnie, Sally, Jess, Harry and Lucy in cheering on England to a test victory to make it 2-1 to the Aussies in the Ashes.

Obviously, we had to have a party to celebrate and that was the end of any healthy intentions for the day! A great dinner by Jonnie including plenty of beer and good wine!

Cycling, junkfood, booze



No comments:

Post a Comment