. .

Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Week 29 - Drayton Manor

Monday

Drayton Manor!

Today was Supported Learning's annual trip to the theme park. We took two coach loads (80 students) of excited young people, and not so young staff, for a day out in the sunshine. Junkfood was everywhere but I managed to avoid it, even when my lovely wife was thrusting bags of Monster Munch at me! I was assistant to a wheelchair user for the day, a young man who knew his own mind and wanted one shoe on, one shoe off, and a constant supply of apple juice!


We went on the dodgems, the Thomas train and had a walk around the zoo (including the dinosaurs!)
The weather was great, the students had an exciting time, and we only had one injury (minor). One of my favourite days of the year!
We went back to college on the two coaches.

I cycled home the long way and covered 15 miles at 14.0mph before making dinner for the family.

Cycling, no junkfood, no alcohol


Tuesday

I cycled in to work and back. Martha and I couldn't attend dojo tonight because Lucy was working late and had the car. I made spaghetti bolognese and then did some weight training instead.

Weight lifting, no junkfood, no alcohol


Wednesday

Bit of a strange one today. I cycled in to work. On the way home, I went on my long loop and clocked up 15 miles at 14.5mph and picked up three Strava trophies. Then, while Lucy made dinner, I started boozing! 4 beers later and I was watching The Walking Dead on my own in the dark!

Cycling, no junkfood, 4 beers

Thursday

I drove in to work today. In the afternoon, I took some of the sports lads down the park to play a bit of football. It was a gloriously sunny day and it was great to spend two hours in the sunshine instead of the classroom. I even got a bit of sunburn on my head!

I drove home via the Post Office to drop off a couple of parcels.

It was too hot to go running. At home, Lucy made dinner while I did some weight training. I was very pleased to find that I could set a new personal record for the military press (overhead press) tonight. Dinner was loads of chicken and rice. Just what I needed! I was tucked up in bed with a cup of tea just after 10pm.

Weight training, no junkfood, no alcohol


Friday

I cycled in to work and back. 

This evening's Karate session was a hot and sweaty affair (it was a hot and sweaty day!) with Sensei Ronnie in a playful mood. We did some 5-step sparring and some kata. I was put in charge of 3 orange belts who all worked hard at Heian Shodan and Heian Nidan. To finish, we did some team running races just for fun, which is very unlike Sensei Ronnie. It was a great way to end the lesson and lots of people left smiling.

In the evening, I did some ironing while watching the highlights of the test (Joe Root with an unbeaten 118) followed by loads of dinner. I nodded off in front of The Walking Dead.

Karate, no junkfood, no alcohol


Saturday

Up at 6:30. After breakfast, I drove to the post office to drop of a large parcel. It's actually classed as a medium parcel, but it's big!

After that, on to the bike to get to work! On a Saturday! I was helping out with the Open Day at the college. It was a nice morning, chatting with staff (friends), following the Ashes and meeting new students.

I was home by 1:45 to eat a banana and drink a coffee.Than I was off to the dojo! I was the instructor today. Just like last week, I based my lesson around some combinations to start, some kicking practice on the pads, then two kata (heian and advanced), with heavy bag work to finish.

An hour later, I was driving off to meet my daughters and Jake at the bowling alley! We had a lovely time with plenty of giggles, despite the bowling alley computers having a bad day and getting our scores wrong! My only regret is that no-one took any photos of the evening!

On the way home, Tilly collected Uncle Paul form a nearby hotel and took him back to our place for dinner. It was a lovely warm evening and I sat outside with Lily and Mouse to watch the bats flap and dart about overhead.

After dropping Lily back, I was in bed before midnight.

Karate, no junkfood, no alcohol


Sunday

Up at seven for muesli, coffee and hobnobs! James came round to my place just before 9 and then we cycled up to Jonnie's. The three of us were discussing where to go when James and Jonnie came up with the idea of cycling our Coughton Route - 48 miles with a lot of climbing early on. Apparently, it was a joke, but I decided to set off on it anyway! It was a lovely day for cycling, so why not?

We soon reached the climbs where, just like last week, it soon became apparent that Jonnie was in good form. His bike handling and cornering skills are always awesome, but today he could climb too! It wasn't long before he was having to wait for us. 

It was rather warm, so James and I had to stop to remove some layers. James had actually started in three layers! Sweaty!

The Salt Way up the A441 was the hardest section for me - a sharp gradient to empty the legs and then a long steady climb up to the A road. I was glad when the road flattened out again!

We modified the route to avoid the Average Destroyer (we'd done enough climbing by then) and arrived at the cakestop at about 11. We put the Ashes on the TV, ate cake and wished Eric a happy birthday!

On the way home, we decided another selfie was in order:

Do I need an orange jersey?

Today's ride had less banter than usual, at times it felt like a training ride. We got back with a decent average of 14.1mph over 45.5 miles. My bike computer and Strava both agree that at some point today I reached 38mph. I don't remember descending so quickly so I obviously wasn't aware of it at the time. Perhaps my downhill game is finally improving?

Back at home, the three of us relaxed in my back garden, and Jonnie and I enjoyed several beers to restore our energies. A little later, we helped Eric celebrate his birthday with two cakes and plenty of drinking!

I think I may have overdone it with the celebrating and I stayed up too late watching The Walking Dead!

Cycling: 45 miles, junkfood, many beers


No comments:

Post a Comment