. .

Search This Blog

Monday, June 17, 2019

How to Achieve a Black Belt in Your Forties (24 weeks to go)

Monday
The weather forecast was for heavy rain so I wore waterproofs and layered up for cycling this morning. It didn't rain so I sweated like a pig on the ride to work and on the way back.
I had a good day at work today. I love my job.
I did a good weight lifting session and then cooked a protein rich dinner.
Weight training, no junkfood, no alcohol.

Tuesday
The weather was foul: howling winds and driving rain. I had to sign in at 8am in order to invigilate a GCSE exam so I decided to drive instead of ride. I had another great day at work and got lots done in the afternoon. I also received a few updates from Sensei Gary who is currently training in Japan with two other instructors from the club. It sounds like they're having a fantastic time with some of the best training in the world!
This evening, Martha and I went along to the dojo for a session run by Sensei Mark and Sensei Russell. We concentrated on kumite but still found time to do some intensive work on kata (Kanku Dai!) For the Kumite, I was lucky enough to be partnered with Sensei Joey who offered lots of insight and advice for me. Martha and I headed home sweaty and happy!
After a big homemade dinner I switched off for the day with cycling on the TV and 3 bottles of ale!
Karate, no junkfood, 3 beers

Wednesday
Weight: 9st 13lbs
I'm the lightest I've been so far this year, the first time I've been below 10st for a long time.
The weather was wet. I cycled in to work and got rather damp. I cycled home after another fantastic day working with young people. Mr Roger was away today so there was no circuit training. I did my own weight training programme instead and set the weight very slightly heavier than I did on Monday.
Weight training, no junkfood, no alcohol.

Thursday
Another soggy day, another wet ride into work, another enjoyable day's teaching. I discovered that one of my student's used to practise Karate but gave up after he 'became lazy.' He demonstrated a yoko geri kekomi which was far higher than any kick I've ever done! My mission is to hopefully convince him back to martial arts. He has a bit of a chaotic homelife and would benefit from the structure and guidance. He said that he started training initially because he was rather naughty and it was thought he would benefit from the discipline of Shotokan.
I cycled home in a drizzle and then set off on my 10K run. My legs were aching! It felt like they were turning to stone as I hobbled round for 6 slow miles. I was very glad to get home but had set a terrible time of 66m and 19s. At least I kept going and didn't slow to a walk at any point.
I hate running.
At home, I had a shower, a shave and homemade beef chilli!
10K run, no junkfood, no alcohol.

Friday
I rode in to work in the pouring rain. I got completely soaked but had remembered to bring a change of clothes with me.
It was a stressful morning at work, whereas the afternoon was very relaxed. I cycled home to get ready for Karate.
This evening's session was very challenging. Sensei Ronnie Christopher was in charge. He told us we were going to continue with jiyu ippon but this time on our left side. I wasn't sure when we were continuing on from. Last Friday's session was run by Sensei Mark. Perhaps Sensei meant carrying on from Sunday's lesson, which I missed? Anyway, I got stuck in as best I could.
We have recently adopted a bent knee stance in freestyle which I feel very awkward using after being in a natural stance for so many years. Sensei let me know I wasn't doing it properly and even had a young lower grade stand next to me to examine my stance and to tell me what was wrong with it! It didn't make me feel good and it's certainly not a teaching technique I'd use in my classroom, but it was effective! I spent the rest of the hour with my calf muscles screaming at me as I bent my knees and tried to balance on my toes. It was a high-paced, high-intensity session. I was lucky enough to be partnered with Sensei Jason, and we put each other under pressure. I managed to get a couple of good kicks in on him and he got me with an ear-ringing punch to the head!
The last five minutes were given over to freestyle. Fighting is certainly not my strength but I did manage to give as good as I got when I was partnered with a fellow adult 1st kyu.
Another fantastically useful session at Ruach. I got very hot and sweaty so it's also good fitness training! I went home with plenty of new bruises.
I enjoyed some real ales with my healthy dinner of fish, sweet potatoes and green beans.
Karate, no junkfood, 3 beers

Saturday
I woke up rather early and was dismayed to find my right shoulder was aching furiously. I hoped it would loosen up in time for dojo.
I set about getting some jobs done. I put the washing out and then made breakfast for Lucy and myself. I put a space saver wheel on the punctured car and then took it down to Kwik Fit. Later, I went to the post office and then home to clean windows, clean the wooden floors, do some vacuuming and then get on with the ironing. I had a healthy lunch while watching the cricket. By one o'clock my chores were done. Unfortunately, my shoulder was aching worse than it was when I woke up.
Martha and I went along to this afternoon's Karate session. I did a proper dynamic warm up followed by a blast through five kata. By the time the lesson started my shoulder felt fine. Once again, Sensei Tony ran a session that was full of enthusiasm and Karate spirit. We concentrated on kihon and then Martha and I got to do some teaching towards the end. Good stuff.
Back at home, I listened to the cricket, put some stuff on eBay and, although I did try to resist, I ended up enjoying three beers while watching the Criterium du Dauphine!
Karate, no junkfood, 3 beers

Sunday
The bright sunlight woke me at 6am.
I stumbled out of bed at 6:30 for a healthy breakfast. Denise (my partner for the 100 mile Velo) turned up on time with her bike and wearing her Lycra. However, she obviously wasn't very well and, realising it was about to rain, decided to head back home again! A wise decision.
When I got round to call for Sally I was pleased to see that Roger was already there and ready to go. Unfortunately, Sally's friend Jo had cancelled. With Jonnie away, that left only three of us out of the five who were supposed to be doing a beginner's ride today. We quickly changed plans and I called Jane to let her know that we would be heading down to Wilmcote after all.
Sally is new to cycling. She has done some miles with Jonnie on some of our usual routes and has also joined in with a Dynamic Rides beginner's ride. She has a proper Specialized road bike with a 105 group set and is certainly focused and determined to get fitter!
We set off on the direct route along the country lanes through Ullenhall. I was on the front and Roger was protecting Sally from traffic at the rear. I was impressed by Sally's power on the flat and she was quick to tell me that we weren't going fast enough! She was happy to roll along at around 16mph as we approached Tanworth in Arden. So far so good!
She ground her way up the climbs with no complaints and seemed stable and confident on the descents. She can ride one handed so we didn't have to stop for drinks breaks. After just 5 or 6 rides she is already a competent rider.
We were glad to reach the halfway point so Roger and I could indulge in homemade cake and we could all enjoy 2 cups of hot tea each. We even had the cricket on the TV.


Me, the Cakemaker, Sally.
Back in the lanes, the challenge had shifted slightly: we now had the wind behind us, but we were going uphill for the next 15 miles! Initially, we were wafted along at 17mph but as soon as we hit the climbs, the pace began to drop. Sally pushed hard, never gave up, and we all got back safe and sound. 30 miles done! We had another cup of tea, and some more cricket, before I headed off to walk the dogs around the park. 
In the evening, the girls gave me all their lovely Father's Day presents and cards. I was thoroughly spoilt as usual! 
How spoilt am I?
 Jane and Eric came round for dinner and we celebrated Father's Day with them too. Lucy had made two different casseroles along with loads of freshly prepared vegetables. I ended up drinking more than I should and then staggered off to bed before I could fall asleep on the couch in front of the Tour du Dauphine!
Cycling: 30 miles, junkfood, 4 beers














No comments:

Post a Comment