. .

Search This Blog

Monday, June 10, 2019

How to Achieve a Black Belt in Your Forties (25 weeks to go)

The title of these blog posts has changed and so has the emphasis of my training.
There are now only six months before I take part in a black belt grading which will hopefully end with me being awarded my 1st dan (Shodan) grade at Ruach Karate.
I will still monitor my health and occasionally make reference to my weight, blood pressure and resting heart rate, because these things are important, but now my focus is primarily on achieving a single goal: a black belt in Shotokan Karate.

Monday 3rd June (181 days to go)
I cycled in for the first day back at work after the half term holiday.
Back at home, I did a light weight training session. I noted that the right shoulder is feeling a little better, but the left bicep, which has been plaguing me for over a year, is still a little sore.
Weight training, no junkfood, no alcohol

Tuesday
I cycled to work and back.
Martha and I went along to tonight's Karate session. This evening, we covered the three Ks (kihon, kumite and kata) at a quick pace and I got a bit sweaty. Perfect training! I was asked to partner some of the younger students who seemed to be lacking enthusiasm. One lad responded brilliantly - he raised his game and got stuck in. Just what we wanted. The other chap just didn't seem to want to be there and couldn't look me in the eye. I ended up accidentally knocking his weak defending hand back into his own face. Thankfully, he didn't cry!
All we're looking for from the youngsters is the right spirit, the right attitude. As Master Funakoshi wrote: Spirit before technique.
We finished with some kata. Once again, we were given the opportunity to go through my new favourite kata: Kanku Dai.
Sensei Gary very kindly acknowledged my hard work in the dojo tonight.
Martha and I went home feeling rather red-faced and happy!
Karate, no junkfood, no alcohol

Wednesday
I had to use the car for work today because I had to stay late to do some interviews and then rush home to make dinner.
Tonight was another light weights session, although it was very slightly heavier than Monday's effort.
Weight training, no junkfood, no alcohol

Thursday
I cycled in to work and back.
At home, I got ready for my run while watching the last few overs of Australia vs The Windies in the ODI World Cup. My 10K time was rubbish: 64m 53s. I want to get my time under an hour before I take my black belt grading.
At dinner, a nice surprise: Jane arrived with a gift from her sister Mary. I was presented with a box of 20 Racefood Farbar endurance bars! A very welcome gift indeed!



(I tried one of the bars on the Sunday bike ride. It tasted good!)
Run, no junkfood, no alcohol

Friday

I had to drive again today. I invigilated a GCSE English exam at a different campus (our women's centre) before heading back to Hall Green to do an afternoon of internal verification of units. Busy day!
The dojo session was another fantastic hour of training, this time under Sensei Mark. He placed the emphasis on kumite today. I was paired with some higher grades which is great experience. Sensei Jason nearly flattened me once or twice!
Later, we finished with Kanku Dai once again. I'm really starting to get to grips with that kata. I reckon I can get it almost perfect within the next 20 years...
Sensei Jason said I was looking sharp and he can tell that I'm determined to get my Shodan this year.
I got home for some healthy homemade food and no alcohol.
Karate, no junkfood, no alcohol

Saturday
Rain, rain, rain. After some shopping and chores, I went along to the Saturday session run by Sensei Tony. He has done a great job of whipping the young students into shape! They have fantastic spirit, they kiai at the end of every technique and show proper dojo etiquette. Even the young ADHD karateka was totally switched on and focused. I hardly had to say a word to him! Sensei Tony himself said that if Sensei Ronnie walked in to observe the students, his reaction would be 'Wow!' I totally agree. A very enjoyable session indeed.
In the evening, we had a late dinner of delicious homemade chicken curry. I stayed up late to let my dinner go down.
Karate, no junkfood, no alcohol.

Sunday
It was a warm sunny morning with a bit of a breeze coming up from the south. Perfect for cycling! I jumped on my bike after breakfast and then headed up to call for Jonnie. We set off on our Honiley route, happily chatting and enjoying the sunshine. After a while, we both noticed that we were maintaining a good pace (compared to our usual efforts) of 15.4mph. We decided to keep the pressure on and Jonnie led the charge by storming off the front after the descent from Norton Lindsey. Then we stopped for a wee.
Once through Snitterfield, it was my turn to be on the front so I put in an effort along The Armouries. I did my best to keep the speed above 15mph uphill. Once onto Featherbed lane I was pleased to find that I could hold Jonnie's wheel. He normally leaves me in his wake on a flat road!
The cakestop was a very jolly affair with lots of family and friends turning up for lunch at Jane's place. The cake helpings were even larger than usual! Jonnie struggled to finish his so I bravely volunteered to eat the rest of his too.
The sun was shining brightly and the wind was in the right direction. I stripped off my base layer and rode in just a short-sleeved jersey and shorts. Jonnie and I had a 15mph target fixed firmly in our minds and rode accordingly. We kept the pace high up the hills but still found time for a chat as we sped along. By the time we got to the bottom of the Danzey Green climb it was clear we were going to be successful so we could relax a little bit. We got back to Jonnie's place with a rather satisfying 15.3mph average speed over 40 miles. Frustratingly, I didn't pick up a single Strava achievement for the day!
We rewarded ourselves with two bottles of beer each and put our feet up in front of the World Cup cricket.
At home, I stuffed my face with leftover chicken curry, did some jobs and then sat in the back garden listening to the cricket while drinking more beers! We had a very late dinner of homemade lasagne.
Cycling, cake, 5 beers

No comments:

Post a Comment