. .

Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 18, 2017

How to Lose a Belly When You're 42 (part 34)

Monday
Weight: 10st 5lbs
Blood Pressure: 125/72
Resting Heart Rate: 49
So, my weight has gone back up again. Not surprising really, considering the amount of real ale I enjoyed over the weekend.
Today, I did a weight training session, slightly heavier than last week. My right arm is still quite painful so I rubbed some Deep Heat into it during the session. I'm not sure if it helped, but it did feel lovely and hot!
Our kitchen is still full of lovely things from the weekend: cakes, pudding, beer and chocolate. I managed to resist all of it.
No alcohol, no junkfood.

Tuesday

In the morning, I mentioned to Martha that I was going to go for a run today and that she should come with me.
About an hour later, she appeared in the man-cave in her running gear! I was still in my pyjamas! I quickly got ready and set off on my 10K with Martha running alongside me. She was huffing and puffing like a steam train - she's obviously fitter than me, but her running style is so short and tense that she wears herself out. Along the way, I tried to explain to her how to relax and breathe normally, but she started shouting at me: "MY LUNGS AREN'T TAKING THE OXYGEN IN PROPERLY!" I think this should be the definition if you look up the word irony in the dictionary.
Anyway, she puffed on and managed to get to 2 miles. As soon as I told her we were at the two mile mark she stopped in her tracks. That was enough as far as she was concerned!
She had managed to run 2 miles without stopping in a decent time of 21m 33s. I was very proud of her.
Martha walked home, I carried on.
The rest of my run was without incident. I increased the pace a little and finished the 10K in 64m 35s.
I managed to eat healthily for the rest of the day. In the evening, I treated myself to two pints of stout with dinner and while watching the Tour de France.
No junkfood.

Wednesday

I had to invigilate an exam at our Digbeth campus today. I decided to cycle in because it was a dry day. It meant I cycled a total of 16 miles but I got caught in roadworks and the school run. My average was only 13.4mph!
In the evening, I cycled another 3 miles to pick up my car which had been serviced.
No junkfood today and, although sorely tempted when Nigel appeared on my doorstep with half a dozen ales, no alcohol!

Thursday

I did a good weight training session today but then ended up staying awake far too late watching TV and drinking one too many beers...

Friday
I think I wasted today...

Saturday
Bike ride with Jonnie at 9. We did a mix and match of the Ireland's Lane route and the direct route to the cake stop. It was raining for the first hour of the ride so we got a bit soggy. It wasn't cold though, so I didn't really mind wet socks. On the way back, we headed up The Farm just to test the old legs and lungs. Faced with Nemesis in Wales next week, I took the opportunity to throw myself at the climb as hard as I could. I was pleased to find I got a bronze cup on Strava - my third fastest time up The Farm in 7 years of riding it!

I'm 681st of the 2568 riders who've attempted The Farm


Back at Jonnie's, we drank tea instead of beer! We really are taking the training seriously!
However, this afternoon changed all that. Jonnie, Lucy, Sally, Jess and I attended the Solihull Jazz Festival. It was crap so we drank loads and had a good laugh. Then back to Jonnie's for more beer and a barbeque.

Sunday
Hangover from hell. Junkfood and recovery ales!


3 comments: