. .

Search This Blog

Sunday, July 2, 2017

How to Lose a Belly When You're 42 (part 32)

Monday
10st 5lbs
So, I haven't lost any weight over the last two weeks... Maybe the answer is to give up the booze and cake completely. But then, what sort of a summer would I have? I'm struggling to find the balance between trying to be fit and healthy, and having some sort of enjoyable social life with my family and friends.
Today, I cycled into work and back and then set about making a healthy curry for Lucy and myself. While it was on a very low simmer, I did a weight lifting session - heavier than last week, but still nowhere near as heavy as I was lifting before my arm injury.
The curry turned out to be almost too spicy - but we did manage to scoff it all...just. It was rather healthy too - lots of vegetables and fresh chicken. Not much oil at all.

No booze, no junkfood.


Tuesday

Today was Supported Learning's annual trip to Drayton Manor! It is quite possibly my favourite day of the year. We have a lot of fun with the students and they get to see the staff in a much more relaxed environment. It's definitely a good way for the kids to unwind and to bond with friends old and new. Of course, I found it impossible to stick to my healthy lifestyle for long - I ended up with hot chocolate complete with cream and marshmallows, curly fries and an ice cream!

How did Mouse, Martha and Harry end up at Drayton Manor too?

Tonight, I went to Karate training in an effort to prepare for the club competition on Sunday. Sensei Gary led the whole club through some basic kumite techniques. I ended up working with three young red belts which meant I didn't get the workout I'd hoped for. The best part of the evening was sparring with Sensei Chris and Sensei Jodi before the lesson started!
Back at home, I drank two beers and watched Batman vs Superman.
At least I rode my bike to and from college today.



Wednesday

Only exams to do at Handsworth and Digbeth today, so I rode my bicycle. However, I found myself rather tired from yesterdays exertions and the weather was rather cold and wet. These things meant that I had a very slow time of 12.8mph when I got to college compared with my time in the heatwave last week: 14.1mph.
However, I managed to increase the pace when I made the journey to Digbeth and then back home. I eventually rode the 23 miles at 13.1mph

Thursday
A great day, but a bad day as far as my training is concerned. After cycling to work and back, 7 of us went out to celebrate Eric's 80th birthday (again!) We went to see Talon - a very good Eagles tribute act. Seven musicians recreated some of the Eagle's best tunes and kept the crowd involved. Recommended. Unfortunately, my willpower didn't last long and I ended up enjoying a total of 3 and half pints of ale!

Friday
Graduation day at college. There was junk food everywhere! After enjoying a homemade curry made by a member of staff, I filled the gaps with chocolate, cheesecake, crisps etc etc.
Tonight, the training at dojo was fast and intense - as it always is when led by Sensei Ronnie Christopher. Later, I had to fetch Lucy and Debbie from a staff get together in Moseley.
We then stayed up too late, playing music and chatting. I ended up sipping a total of 5 bottles of ale!

Saturday
A bit of a waste of a day. I got up with a sore head and spent most of the day shuffling around the house. 

Sunday
The day of the Karate competition! 
I got the time completely wrong and turned up 3 hours early.
Martha and I returned at the proper time and set about winning medals. Martha took a bronze and a silver, and I won the gold for kata! I was hopeless in the fighting, however: I lost two of my three fights. There was also a bully from a visiting karate school competing in the adult fighting (he was one of the guys that beat me.) He got warnings in each of his fights and attacked unnecessarily hard. That doesn't bother me, or any of the chaps there, but it was still very disrespectful to our dojo. I was very glad when our own Sensei Chris put him in his place in the final. Well done Chris!
The kata competition went splendidly for me: I felt that my kata was strong but it didn't really matter because every opponent I went up against made mistakes! I defeated a fellow brown belt in the first round and then two black belts in the semi final and the final. They may have let nerves get to them because I know those guys don't normally make errors in their techniques. I was very pleased to take the gold.
At home, Lucy had made a superb curry which we enjoyed while watching Geraint Thomas ride in the yellow jersey at the Tour de France. I sipped three beers before bed.
A good day!



No comments:

Post a Comment