. .

Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 31, 2016

How to Lose a Belly When You're 41 (part 22)

This has been my second week of not training.

Monday
Even though I got up on Monday with the best of intentions, it was obvious that my shoulder/neck was no better. No training.

Tuesday 
At Karate, I jarred my neck doing the easiest kata I know before the lesson had even started (during the 6th move of Hein Shodan when you quickly turn the head before the 90 degree turn into gedan barai.) With a throbbing pain in my neck I continued the lesson but I couldn't put any power into any techniques. During each drinks break, Martha tried to convince me to sit out but I was determined to continue. I was very glad that we didn't do any sparring tonight.

Wednesday
Cycled to work and back.
No training, some beer.

Thursday
Cycled to work and back.
No training, some beer and junkfood.

Friday
Cycled to work, to the pub and then carefully back home on the cycle path.
This was the last day at work before we broke up for half term.
Some staff went to the Pumphouse in Shirley where I found a very reasonably priced pint of Purity Gold (cheaper than I'd seen it in a bottle in one off licence I know!)  I accidentally drank four of these and then went home to party with the family. I sampled another couple of ales while manning the barbeque and chiminea. My mate Nigel came along to the barbeque for a brief while and sampled my cooking. He was planning on going cycling in the morning and invited me along with him.
I found myself dancing around the garden as the sun went down! (Hic!)

Saturday
The hangover woke me up at 5am. It was then that I realised that a life of no training is no good for me! I took some aspirin and drank a pint of water. After not managing to fall asleep again, I crawled out of bed at 7 with my head banging. Somehow, I kept my breakfast down and then got into my Lycra.
I met Nigel at The Fieldhouse. Nigel is a fairly new cyclist - having started to ride out in the lanes with his friends about 18 months ago. I've invited him to ride with me countless times but he has been put off by my Strava data (although why this should be, I have no idea!) I'm just glad he finally decided to have me along. 
He is powerfully built and owns a top of the range carbon Specialized Roubaix with disc brakes: my dream bike! We set off east and it wasn't long before we were in familiar lanes. Also, it wasn't long before I realised that, in my current condition, I was no match for Nigel on the flat or downhill. He shot into the descents and I had no hope of staying with him. He modestly explained that it must be our weight difference. However, I wasn't convinced - something else was going on.
A little later, while riding along on an unfamiliar lane, and one I shall be incorporating into my own routes, it was obvious that Nigel had fantastic downhill skills. I kept an eye on him as he descended in front of me and saw how he shifted his weight on the bike and leaned into corners. I asked him about it again and he explained that he had spent a decade as a motorcyclist! It had certainly given him some impressive abilities as a bike handler.




I was relieved when the route started to head upwards. I was able to sit and spin my way up the hills next to Nigel and enjoy the rest of the day. He was manfully determined to ride up everything in the big ring which looked like a lot of hard work. We had a chat about it but I don't think I convinced him to try the smaller gears.
At twenty miles, we stopped off at the Dynamic Rides cafe. I could only face a cup of weak tea while Nigel was a true cyclist and went for coffee and flapjack.
In the last five miles, feeling a bit more like my old self, I got on the front and kept the pace high. Happily, Nigel had no trouble staying with me and even got some gold cups on Strava for his efforts. 
A good ride with a good bloke: 25.1 miles at 15.3 mph. 
Strava here.
My shoulder and neck were still aching but the knee held. I'm glad I'm making progress.
Saturday afternoon was more partying at another barbeque for a 70th birthday bash.
I ended up a little worse for wear again!

Sunday
In the morning, I didn't have the energy to do much apart from tidy the man cave and watch the Giro d'Italia. The family went over to enjoy Nigel's open garden which raised nearly £300 for charity. Nice work, fella! And good beer and hotdogs too! My third barbeque in a row!


Apart from a good bike ride it was another wasted week. I've put 2 pounds back on since I haven't been able to train. Obviously, if I'm not exercising, I need to cut down on the beer and cake. Unfortunately, I seem to be doing the opposite...

No comments:

Post a Comment