. .

Search This Blog

Friday, May 6, 2016

How to Lose a Belly When You're 41 (part 19)

Monday
10st 2lbs
Seriously!? I put 3 pounds of flab back on last week?
That does it, as from right now I'm adjusting my training program. I can't possibly fit any more exercise in to the week so I'm going to have to reduce the beer and cake intake.
I always hoped that exercise would allow me to eat more of what I wanted. I guess it doesn't work that way...

So, after a nice trip up town with the family (which included Lucy and me enjoying a beer in The Victoria while the kids were busy doing something else) I went home to do some weight lifting.
It was the heaviest lift I've managed to do this year and I put the emphasis on legs (squats and deadlifts).
I ate healthily all day.

Tuesday
I didn't managed to ride the bike to work today - I had a load of folders to take in with me so I had to use the car. However, I still attended dojo, ate healthily and avoided alcohol.

Wednesday

Cycled to work. After lessons, I took part in Mr Roger's circuit training. I was, as usual, training alongside a remarkable lady named Denise who's training journey has seen her lose 21 lbs so far this year! She has had to get rid of her old clothes because they don't fit her anymore. I did my best to keep up with her...
I cycled slowly home.
No junkfood, no alcohol.

Thursday
Cycled to work and back,
At home, after I had dropped all the Dungeons and Dragons players home, I did a good lifting session. Unfortunately, during the barbell shrugs, I twinged my back picking up the weights. I managed to complete the session with a lifting belt on as tight as it would go.
No junkfood, no alcohol.

Friday
I had to drive again today - working at two different campuses. I had a problem with my back during this mornings lessons - sudden recurring stabbing pains in my lower back. I took it very easy and by lunch time they had gone. I must double-check my form when it comes to weight training!
This evening, I attended the leaving event of a good friend of mine. This resulted in the the drinking of three ales! I did, however, manage to eat healthily for the day.
No exercise at all...

Saturday
I got up for a first breakfast of an orange and half a glass of water. For my morning 10K, I stepped out into a gloriously sunny, still day. It was quickly apparent that I didn't need my two technical layers and I was soon overheating. It didn't help that I'd gone off to fast and ended up spending the rest of the run trying to recover. I ended up with a time of one hour and 21 seconds.
I did a 3 mile walk in Sutton Park with the dogs, ate healthily (salmon and veggies) and didn't drink alcohol.

Sunday
Today was the first and only training ride for the Pedal of Honour which Jonnie and I are riding next week.
We set off at 8am - the air was only a little chilly but the sun was already high and bright. I wore one layer with arm warmers. It felt good to be in my fingerless gloves for the first time this year! In good spirits, we chatted our way along the country lanes towards Ulenhall. At this point, the arm warmers were peeled down and Jonnie's jacket came off. Proper summer cycling now!


Jonnie going well in the sunshine.

Determined to keep the average above 14mph, I did my best to throw myself after Jonnie on the descents and he got stuck in to the climbs. Descending through Binton, I did my best to stay with Jonnie. I didn't brake and I pedalled hard when the speed dropped. However, he continued to pull away and he had to wait for me when we reached the busy B439. Through Luddington and then to Wilmcote, we kept the pace high but manageable. The sun was very hot by this point and we had been battling into a slight headwind. We were very glad to reach our cake stop to refuel on tea and still-warm homemade lemon cake!


Cake! Still warm!

Back in the saddle and the climbing began. I was pleased to find that I had my climbing legs with me today and I was able to set some decent times on the uphill segments on Strava. We cruised through Snitterfield and eventually came to Langley and Preston Green for two of our 'favourite' climbs - The Widowmaker and the Two Towers. We managed to keep going hard and hold the average above 14mph.

Upon reaching the Punch Bowl pub we accidentally parked up the bikes and enjoyed a pint in the beer garden. Now this was real Pedal of Honour training!


Dedicated training

The remaining 5 miles went by in a pleasant blur of chats and laughs (and a bit of road rage from myself!)
Ride: 52 miles at 14.4mph.

Later on, after walking the dogs in the blazing sunshine, I found myself too tired for karate. The idea of being able to do any successful kicks was laughable - my legs felt like lead. So instead, I enjoyed an evening of ales, red wine and pudding!
Cheers!








No comments:

Post a Comment