. .

Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

How to Lose a Belly When You're 41 (part 17)

Monday
Weight: 10st 3lbs
I've dropped a pound since this time last week, but I'm still now only the same weight I was a month ago! Just two more weeks of this and then I'll have to get more serious with the training plan. I can't fit in any more exercise so I'll have to adjust the cake/beer intake!
I cycled in to work, cycled back again, ate loads of vegetables and eggs (Mexican scrambled eggs for dinner!) and then did a heavy weight-lifting session.

Tuesday

Cycled in to work and back.
This evening, Martha and I went to the dojo as usual, only to find that the floor of the sportshall is being resurfaced and was firmly shut to the public! There were lots of confused karateka milling around, including black belts! I drove us back home again and we had a cunning idea - we would go for a run!
Shorts and trainers on, we stepped out into the sunshine for a jog. Martha stayed with me for the first mile and then I carried on to complete a 10K. It was my slowest one yet.
Healthy eating all day, no booze.

Wednesday

I cycled in to work determined to have another healthy day - the Great Birmingham 10K is looming large on the horizon! I cycled home to run tonight's Dungeons and Dragons session with the young people. I ate healthily all day and avoided alcohol. I dropped my players home and flopped down on the couch with a cup of tea at about 10pm. Later, I was playing Batman: Arkham Knight on the PS4 when it suddenly occurred to me - I'd completely forgotten the weight-lifting session I had planned for tonight! Oh well, I gave my thumbs a workout instead.

Thursday
Once again - another day that doesn't have a place on a fitness blog...
Today, as well as being the Queen's birthday, it is also my mother's! After work, two of the girls and I headed over to take Mom out for dinner. We overindulged with ice cream and chocolate and I had a couple of beers. I didn't even have time to do any exercise today!

Friday
Cycled to work and back. I took myself off to the dojo tonight, not really in the mood but still determined to give it a good go. Tonight, the session was held by Sensei Ronnie Christopher (2 x World Silver Medalist, European Champion and 4 x British champion). Sensei Ronnie is a very inspiring person and just his presence is enough to rev the class up - we were all mad for it! The session focused on kicks - particularly the mawashi geri (roundhouse kick) and Jion Kata.
By the time the hour was up, I felt energised, renewed and refocused on my mission to claim a black belt!
Very healthy eating (chicken breasts and fresh vegetables) and no booze.

Saturday
Up early for a banana and a glass of fizzy water. I had decided that I really wasn't happy with Tuesday's very slow 10K effort, so this morning I put my trainers on again and headed out. It was a bright but rather cold morning and my hands started to go numb over the first 2 miles. My left knee was complaining a little too but my main issue was a dull ache in the middle of my back. My hands warmed up and the knee got better but the dull ache was with me the entire run. However, it went away as soon as I finished. What I was most pleased about today was my ability to maintain a faster pace than normal. Every now and then I'd find myself at an easy jogging pace so I'd immediately coax myself back into a run and hold it there. I eventually finished with my fastest time yet: 59 minutes 17 seconds according to my stopwatch.
I'm very happy with that!
I went to see Mom and she had made a fantastic homemade lemon cake. Bang went the healthy eating for the day!
To make matters worse, we visited a traditional old-fashioned sweet shop. Chocolate Brasil nuts anyone? No? Okay, I'll eat them all myself...
At home, I indulged in after dinner trifle while watching a Glenn Campbell concert on TV. However, I did manage to resist the open bottle of red wine in the kitchen!

Sunday
Woke up earlier than I intended to. After porridge, I called for Jonnie and we set off into the lanes on our bicycles. We took our High Cross route which has some lovely downhill sections. Today, I manged to get all the way down these sections without touching the brakes. The dry roads certainly helped. Upon reaching Snitterfield, with our average still above 15 mph, we took the longer route to Wilmcote to visit Jane and Eric. Again, I managed to get down the hills without braking unnecessarily. Jonnie said I must have had my descending legs on, but then quickly changed it to 'descending head.' He's right, of course - descending is all in the mind, not the body, and today I had my head screwed on properly.
The cake stop was a strange one for me - determined to drop some weight I refused Jane's homemade cake (Jonnie didn't!) and asked for a banana. Unfortunately, she didn't have any bananas. So I drank my tea and dreamed of calories...
Back in the lanes, we headed north into a headwind for the next 15 miles. With the wind in our faces, I quickly gave up on the idea of maintaining a 15mph average and settled for anything above 14mph.
Jonnie was starting to suffer and the quote of the day was when he asked me if I'd brought any spare legs he could use!

Jonnie at the top of the Farm, 5 miles from home.

Nearing base, we had to drop down Doctor's Hill and then climb Tom's Hill. Having my descending head on, I managed to get down Doctor's Hill with the minimum of braking and use the momentum to catch Jonnie on the climb. Being able to descend is good!
We finished the 37.9 mile ride with an average of 14.5mph. Respectable, given the windy conditions.
Later, I went to the dojo and took part in a fine lesson with Sensei Ronnie Christopher.
I didn't have any junkfood today, but I did enjoy 2 ales and a glass of red at home.




No comments:

Post a Comment