. .

Search This Blog

Monday, April 11, 2016

How to Lose a Belly When You're 41 (part 15)

Monday
Weight: 10st 0lbs
Woke up to a massive headache and nausea. Booze and manflu don't mix!
I'm pleased about the weight loss, but I know a lot of that will be due to dehydration.
I spent the day relaxing with the family. I ate what I wanted to (which included chocolate!) and had a couple of recovery ales!
Today has no place on a fitness blog but it is what it is. I'll be back on track tomorrow.

Tuesday
Woke up still full of cold, but it's not as bad as it's been over the last three days. It's mainly a very blocked up nose. I spent the morning running errands and then in the afternoon, Mouse and I chilled out together and watched The Worlds' End on DVD. I thought it was a silly story but one that kept me entertained. It's not a patch on Shaun of the Dead, however.
I ate healthily all day:
Breakfast = Peanut butter on wholemeal toast
Lunch = A banana and 2 chicken and salad wraps 
Dinner = 2 fresh plaice with rice and green beans (and a chicken drumstick because I'm greedy) 
Martha and I went to the dojo tonight to do some grading practice. Sensei Gary worked us hard over the three main disciplines: basics, kata and ippons. Ippons remains my weakest area so it's the one I need to spend the most time on. I'll see if I can get Martha training with me in the garden.
No alcohol today.

Wednesday
This morning, after a healthy breakfast, I made my way over to see mother at her allotment. She just wanted me to repair a fence that dad had built for her a while back. So, armed with my toolbox, workbench and bits of wood, I did the best I could. It was a joy to be working outside today, especially as we managed to avoid the many showers that plagued the afternoon. Back at Mother's place, she had got a cake ready for me, fresh from the oven! How could I resist? That was the end of healthy eating for the day! After lunch, she even served up homemade apple crumble and ice cream! Maybe she thought I was looking skinny?
At home, I did a good weights session paying particular attention to squats and making sure I went slow and heavy. I certainly felt that in my hamstrings!

Thursday
Cycled in to work.
Cycled home from work
Did a good lifting session.
Ate healthily.
Didn't drink booze.

Friday

After a very pleasant trip to Birmingham City Centre with the family,  I went to the Dojo for a good ippon session with Sensei Mark. Afterwards, I was invited to take part in a bit of sparring with Chris who is taking his black belt grading this month. Needless to say, Chris beat me up but Sensei Mark was pleased with my efforts and even said that he felt I'm at the level that he was when he wore a brown belt. High praise indeed!
At home, I tried to resist, but accidentally had some beer followed by a large GnT. Lovely!

Saturday
A bit of DIY in the morning (repairing the shower in the girls' bathroom) was quickly followed by a couple of miles walking with the dogs.
After that, it was time for this week's 10k run. I set off determined to run faster than last time. It was a lot warmer than last week, which is an advantage for me, but I was still suffering the effects of manflu - my nose was almost completely blocked! By the two mile mark, struggling to breathe comfortably, I was pleased to find that I was 9 seconds faster than my last effort. I was quite sweaty by this point which I prefer to being cold!
I thought I was going really well in the second half of the run: I made a conscious effort to lengthen my stride and made sure I pushed hard up the hills. By the end of the run, however, I was disappointed to learn that I had only improved by 15 seconds. Oh well, gradual improvement is better than nothing I guess.

My brother and I are runing the Birmingham Great Run 10k next month. Our dad suffered with Macular Degeneration so we are running for the Macular Society. If you're kind enough to sponsor us, here is our Just Giving page.

After that, I decided it was a unhealthy eating day because Lucy and I went to visit her mother on her birthday: there were lots of retired ladies present and they all seemed to be brandishing homemade cake!

Sunday
Up at 7:20 to go cycling with Jonnie. We took it easy because a) it was Jonnie's first time out since the Mad March Hare and b) we were both still suffering the effects of manflu - I had a snotty nose and Jonnie had ringing in his left ear. The day started off with plenty of standing water in the lanes so I kept my speed low on the descents. Jonnie paid no attention to this potential hazard and got up to 36mph downhill. Madman.


Jonnie conquering Tom Hill.
After a tea and banana stop (we both decided to be good today and refused the homemade cake on offer!) we pointed the bikes north and headed for home. We bypassed The Farm today because there was a shoot going on nearby and the lanes were full of Range Rovers. 
We got back to Jonnie's and looked at his Strava results while drinking more tea.
Ride results: 31.87 miles @ 14.1mph
I spent the next couple of hours watching a bit of Paris Roubaix, dismantling a trampoline and burning scrap wood.
After that, Martha and I headed to the dojo for another of Sensei Mark's fast and fun lessons involving a lot of kata and a mini kata competition (I drew with my opponent but Martha won!)
At home, I prepared for the return to work tomorrow by eating healthily, avoiding booze and falling asleep in front of Paris Roubaix.



No comments:

Post a Comment