. .

Search This Blog

Monday, April 18, 2016

How to Lose a Belly When You're 41 (part 16)

Monday
Weight: 10st 4lbs
Obviously, I'm rather disappointed to have put 4lbs back on last week. I've made a decision to keep to my current training program until after the 10k run at the end of the month. Then, if I'm not under 10 stone on the 2nd May, I'll rethink my training.
Today I cycled to work in the pouring rain, cycled home in the pouring rain and then went out and ran 10k in the pouring rain. My 10k was only 9 seconds faster than the last time but at least I'm continuing to improve. I didn't record this soggy run on Strava because I didn't want to take my phone out with me in the wet.
I ate healthily all day but couldn't help having a couple of ales and a large GnT tonight!

Tuesday
I cycled to work and back. My legs were aching horribly on the bike, I kept getting that feeling when you're almost convinced that the brakes must be rubbing. They weren't, I just didn't have any power left after the run last night.
Martha and I went to the dojo tonight for an intense fighting session. It felt great to get stuck into some higher grades. We were told to keep the sparring 'light' but Chris, Dan, Tony and I had a bit of a knock when one of us was facing another. Great fun!
Healthy eating today (went to bed hungry, in fact.)

Wednesday
Cycled to work and back.
No junkfood.
No alcohol.
An hour's heavy lifting session which consisted of:
5x5 Barbell Deadlifts
5x5 Barbell curls
5x5 Lateral dumbbell side raises
5x5 Barbell shrugs
5x5 Overhead barbell presses
5x5 Barbell squats
4x25 tricep dips
4x25 press ups
4x25 leg raises

Thursday
Cycled in to work and back.
Ate healthily
No alcohol.
Unfortunately, I got my timings all wrong tonight and tried to fit in dinner, ironing, picking up the children from a Five Seconds of Summer gig at the NEC, and weight lifting. I didn't get home until 11pm, and weight lifting had to be neglected. No exercise!

Friday
Cycled to work and back.
Karate was awesome tonight: lots of work on the basic combinations and kata that we'll need for our grading on Sunday.
No junkfood, no booze. I'm such a good boy!

Saturday
What a day.
I started my Saturday with a strong lifting session. It was very similar to Wednesdays, the difference being that I swapped the shrugs and deadlifts for dumbbell curls and front raises. The rest was the same (actually, the squats were slightly heavier.)
After that, myself, my brother and Mom headed out into the countryside to scatter Dad's ashes at the River Avon. The place is very special to my parents - they visited this beautiful river bank a lot. It's also a place where Dad and I (and Granddad) went fishing.
After this, the three of us went to a country pub for lunch and a beer. That was the end of my healthy habits for the day.
In the evening, I drank three bottles of ale and a GnT! Hic!

Sunday
I woke up with a bit of a headache but I knew I could get rid of it before today's karate grading. Unfortunately, Martha told me that she didn't want to grade today. I told her that was fine and jumped on my bike instead. It was a beautiful day in the countryside and I even took my hip flask with me for the halfway point!



When I got home, however, Martha was dressed in her gi and had changed her mind - she was ready to grade! I took her off to the dojo (thankfully, I had only sipped at the hipflask) and she did a good grading and earned her 2nd Kyu Ho belt. 



I'll probably wait until September to get my belt - I'm not in a rush.
Tonight, I enjoyed two beers and a crisp sandwich! Healthy living!

No comments:

Post a Comment