. .

Search This Blog

Sunday, January 17, 2016

How to Lose a Belly When You're 41 (part 3)

Monday 11th January 2016
I got on the scales this morning not really knowing what to expect. Happily, I'd managed to lose 3 pounds last week - I'm now 10st 9lbs. Good, at least I know that my training works.
I cycled to college. The first lesson of the day was a fitness training session with the Sports and Leisure group. We did a warm up, some martial arts stuff (pad work) followed by a circuit of about 10 different exercises. After this, we did a strength/fitness test: press-ups in one minute. I'm happy to report that I beat a class of 16-20 year old boys by performing 66 press-ups in one minute. None of the lads could top that!
Cycled home and then did a mini-MOT on myself: blood pressure: 129/71 and resting heart rate: 55. I then forced myself through an hour-long weight-lifting session and did 6 different lifts at 5x5. Was aching and happy afterwards. Went to bed hungry...

Tuesday
Cycled in to work. 'Enjoyed' a lunch of nuts and fruit. Cycled home in the pouring rain.
Another good Karate session where we worked on our new kata (mine is Bassai Dai) and tried to get up to speed on our new combinations. I'm struggling with Ushiro Geri and realised today that I need to practise it A LOT!
Sensei Mark has us working constantly - we never spend too long doing the same thing and we're never standing around chatting. I like his style of teaching because it keeps me on my toes (sometimes literally) and  I'm always slightly out of breath throughout the whole hour which means I'm burning off some fat too!

Wednesday
On the bike into work. After lessons today I attended the circuit training session with Roger. This week, we tried something different: we didn't use any equipment apart from skipping ropes. We did 45 minutes of different bodyweight exercises (many of which I had never seen before) in thirty second bursts, punctuated by 30 seconds of skipping, with no breaks! By the end, my shirt was sticking to me with sweat and it was a challenge to simply put one foot in front of another. Needless to say, the cycle home was a slow one!
At home, Lucy had prepared a marvellously healthy beef stir-fry with loads of vegetables.

Thursday
Cycled to work and back. At home, I had a fantastically healthy dinner of fresh plaice, wholemeal pasta and green beans (thanks Lucy!).
After tonight's Dungeons and Dragons session with 7 players had ended and I'd dropped them all home, I started my weight lifting session at 10pm. I did 6 different lifts at 5x5 including squats and deadlifts. I'd had enough by 11pm.

Friday
Snow! Not much of it though, to be honest. The cycle path was a bit slippery but the roads were clear. I rode the mountain bike into college under blue skies! The days are getting longer!
Before I started work, I entered Jonnie and myself for the Tommy Godwin Challenge which takes place a few days before my birthday this year. That's two rides I'm now officially entered for (the other, of course, is the dreaded Mad March Hare!) I also intend to ride the Dynamic 100 and am considering the Tour of the Black Country with the NWAlps boys.
After a fast ride home I showered and changed and went off to tonight's Karate session. The instructor tonight was Sensei Ronnie Christopher. He spent the entire lesson emphasizing the importance of strength, speed and correct fighting attitude. According to him, the class started in neutral and only got as far as third gear...must do better!
Watched three episodes of Sons of Anarchy tonight. It made me want to drink whisky...but I didn't.


Running Gear! (Not that different to cycling gear...)
Saturday
I went for a run in the dark this evening and managed to keep going for 54 minutes without walking or stopping. That's the longest I've ever lasted and estimate that it was just over 5 miles. I'm happy with that!
Tonight's dinner was a very healthy homemade chicken and vegetable curry - I had two massive helpings. Thanks Lucy!

Sunday
Snow!
Up at 7:30am but Jonnie had already texted to discuss the slippery conditions. I agreed that it would be a bit dangerous for us MAMILs in the lanes this morning. NWAlps weren't riding either. I ended up playing the PS4 for a couple of hours instead!
Lazy boy.
Lucy and I walked the dogs for 40 minutes. During this time it was so cold that, even though I was wearing gloves, I lost all feeling in my hands. I'm now very glad I didn't go riding after all!
In the afternoon I attended the Tudor Grange karate session. Matthew, the 15 year old son of a family friend, met me there for his first ever martial arts lesson. He was very brave and joined in straight away. As usual, Ruach Karate made sure he was put at ease and made to feel welcome. He really enjoyed the session and I'm sure he'll be back next week.
I came home to a special treat - my first beer in two weeks! I enjoyed a pint of Timothy Taylor's Landlord while Lucy prepared dinner.
It's a hard life...
In the evening, we met a friend at the Red Lion for the pub quiz. I'm ashamed to say that we came last! Plus, three pints of Guinness after 2 weeks of no drinking makes me feel quite tipsy...

No comments:

Post a Comment