. .

Search This Blog

Monday, January 4, 2016

How to Lose a Belly When You're 41 (part 1)


This is the photo that scared me.


I knew that I'd let myself go over the last couple of years. I'd still enjoyed my martial arts and cycling, but I'd also been enjoying my cake and beer. I'd cut running down to just once per week and my shoulder injury had meant that, for most of the year, I was lifting light weights or just doing body-weight exercises (sit ups, push ups etc.)
I was happy enough just doing what I do, not overly concerned that I didn't manage to get my weight under 10 stone at any point last year.

However, seeing the above photo, taken on 27th December, scared me because it made me realise I'd been fooling myself for months: 
I'm fat! 
The sight of my flabby body straining against the T-shirt is something I'm determined never to witness again.

And so, the plan:

2016 will see me actively training to achieve my black belt in 2017. I'll attend three karate lessons each week, and practice at home. I'll stretch. I'll read about my chosen martial art.

I've got 2 organised bicycle rides planned: the Mad March Hare (the one I swore I'd never do again) and the Dynamic 100. It's 100% Jonnie's fault that we're riding the MMH again - he says it's tradition. It also doesn't help that my brother sent a photograph of himself on a training ride (which I received just a few minutes before the above fat photo was taken) saying that he was going to kick our asses on the MMH. So I had to sign us up.
The Dynamic 100 is a summer century (100 miles) sportive in beautiful countryside which starts and finishes walking distance from my house. What's not to love?

Start lifting weights again - and some proper heavy weights. The shoulder feels 95% so it's about time I tested it out with some respectable kilograms!

Run. The best way I've found to shift weight is to get out in the street and run. This year I'll be running a six mile course but trying to do it a bit faster each week. Wish me luck!

Circuit training. I love the circuit training sessions we do after classes at work with our ex-military member of staff Mr Roger. I'll make sure I don't miss any of those. (I also enjoyed covering for Mr Roger when he couldn't make sessions last year. Maybe I'll get to do more of that?)

Cut down on the beer. I love beer, but it doesn't love me.

Cut down on cake. See above.

I did a quick MOT on myself today which produced some interesting results: 
I'm 10st 12lbs. Two summers ago I was 9st 10lbs...
My BMI is 24.4 which is just within the healthy weight range. Just.
My blood pressure is 127/71 which is classed as normal/ideal.
My resting heart rate is 49 which is apparently expected of an Olympic athlete...in his early twenties.
Very confusing results indeed! However, the fact remains that I'm going to get rid of the beer belly this year and hopefully have some fun doing it!


No comments:

Post a Comment