. .

Search This Blog

Sunday, April 6, 2014

Knee update: 2 solutions

I've rested the knee for a week. I've driven to work with the rest of the cagers for the last five days. I haven't run my usual 6 miles per week. All I've done is lift some weights [avoiding squats, lunges and deadlifts].
I was very eager to get back on the bike today so I leapt out of bed at 6:30 ready for action. By 8am I was at Jonnie's and the poor guy was still in his dressing gown!
On the road at 8:20 we were prepared for a soaking. Happily, the BBC weather got it all wrong and our ride was a dry one! I chose a shortish ride to test the knee - a total of 22 miles through places like Packwood and Henley, finishing with our usual ride through Tanworth and the 3 mile time trial back to Jonnie's.
It was a quick fun ride, with beautiful scenery. In a playful mood, we decided early on that Jonnie was to be Contador and dance up the climbs while I was being Froome with some serious high-cadence stem-staring.
The knee? Today it was almost back to normal. I was so relieved to find that all I had to contend with was a dull ache after dashing up some of the steepest hills in the area. Of course, the resting of the legs must have helped the knee to recover but I also had two not-so-secret weapons with me. The first was a change of pedals: The terrible Toys-R-Us quality pedals that the Specialized was supplied with were hurting my feet and may have been having an adverse effect on the knee. I spent some quality fettling time on Saturday and managed to construct some Frankenstein pedals out of some bodies from Deadly Dan and some French toe clips taken from the Holdsworth. They were dramatically more comfortable and must have taken some of the pressure off the knee. My second solution was to wear an elasticated bandage donated by my mother during a visit on Saturday. It seems to have worked a treat!

22.53 miles at 14.3mph. A fun ride with a good result for the knee! Phew.
Next week, 40 miles heading out to Alvechurch, perhaps?


No comments:

Post a Comment