. .

Search This Blog

Monday, March 31, 2014

Knee Destruction and Cheesecake.

A good Sunday starts with a bike ride, everyone knows that. With the clocks going forward an hour, I feel I did well to get out on the road before 9am. I completed a very hilly 18 mile blast down to Lowsonford, across to Ullenhall and up through Tanworth. Just before the halfway stage, I was cruising along with a respectable average of 15.5mph. By the time things started pointing upwards, my right knee was aching like someone was banging nails into it and my decent time was destroyed. Arriving back at home, the average was down to 14.5mph.

I cleaned the bike, got changed and limped to the car.


  
Our special lady
For Mother's Day, my brother and I took Mom to Le Truc in the Arcadian Centre, Birmingham. I love this French restaurant [that used to be Chez Jules in the city centre.] As usual, the young trendy staff were very cheerful and welcoming right from the moment we walked through the doors. It was busy, but not crowded. However, Sid did request a table change away from the centre of the room. Disappointingly, there was no draught ale, so I opted for the Aspall that I wished I'd had on Saturday! Sid chose a bottled Ubu and Mom was treated to a free glass of fizz!

The food was some of the best we've had when eating out. I had salmon, Sid went for the pork belly and Mom chose the Chicken Kiev. A side order of onion rings was also demolished. Everything looked and tasted freshly prepared and nothing showed any signs of ever being anywhere near a packet or a freezer.


SidneyBear
I was the only one of us who opted for a dessert. I chose the apricot and prune cheesecake with coffee ice cream. The first thing that I noticed was the size of the slice! It was huge! The second thing I noticed was the intensity and richness. In the interests of health and safety I didn't finish it, but I really wished I could have!
 
 
Cheesecake and coffee ice cream. I couldn't finish it.

As a fun place to eat, Le Truc is hard to fault. Maybe the drinks are rather expensive? Other than that, it's got to deserve a 9 out of 10.

To return to the subject of the knee - it just got worse as the day went on, the stairs of the Arcadian multi-storey car park almost making me whimper! I've come up with a drastic plan - no cycling or running this week and to take it very easy in the dojo. I hate driving to work, but I think it's time I let the knee rest and hope it has improved by Sunday. 




No comments:

Post a Comment