. .

Search This Blog

Monday, April 21, 2014

The 15.0mph Jonnie

We didn't set out to break any records.

It was too windy to ride fast, so we started the day with a chat as we tooled along our new favourite route - the Honiley 40 which we first rode with Gary and Dan a few months back. We both agreed that it was a beautiful part of the world and as we cycled through it, I didn't really notice the speed creeping upwards...

After 21 miles, as we approached Snitterfield, I realised that my bike computer was showing an average speed of 15.5mph. Jonnie's bike registered 15.6mph... I suggested that we might try for Jonnie's first ride with a 15mph average speed!

I've only managed a 15mph average on four previous occasions:

15.0mph over 60 miles (hilly)
15.0mph over 36 miles (hilly)
15.4 mph over 15 miles
15.8mph over 15 miles

Those are the only times I've managed it during the three years that I've been riding road bikes. All of those times were achieved in fine weather during the summer months. On a windy day, it would be a big ask!

I told Jonnie not to wait for me after the descents. He is a fine descender and often finds himself having to wait for me at the bottom of hills. Today, I said I'd try to catch him on the climbs and that he should ride behind me on the flats. In other words, for the reminder of the ride I was going to be his domestique.

By the time we arrived at the feed station (Jane and Eric's home in Wilmcote) we had maintained a 15+ average. We only had 16 miles to go now, but we would be riding into a headwind...

We enjoyed a feast of homemade biscuits, clambered back on the bikes and, after a dash down a hill which pushed the average up to 15.8, I took the lead and started punching a hole through the wind. The pain in my legs, shoulders and back gradually worsened until the average was down to 15.1mph and I had nothing left to give. As he came past me, I gave Jonnie a shove on the backside and he got his head down and rode into the wind. For the remaining 6 miles I would catch glimpses of his high-vis jacket as he turned into corners or crested hills. After a massive solo effort he managed to get back home with a 15.0mph average speed intact!

I'm pleased to report that I managed to complete the ride with a 15.0mph also, just 2 or 3 minutes behind Jonnie. We celebrated with tea and homemade cupcakes courtesy of Jonnie's better half, Sally.

The route for the Honiley 40 is here [just ignore the average speed which includes me walking around Jane's kitchen with my mobile phone in my pocket]: Strava

 

 

2 comments:

  1. Nice one!
    I've not looked at the strava link but you should be aware unless you've set the privacy area anyone can see where "jane's kitchen" is and pinpoint exactly where there is potentially an expensive bike to steal. If you have set the exclusion zone please ignore & continue to bask in your 15mph glory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're quite right, of course. I'll see about that exclusion zone. Thanks, fella.

      Delete