. .

Search This Blog

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Short and Muddy.

Today's ride was short and muddy. And so was I.
This week, Lucy showed me a flyer that had been shoved through our letterbox: the Wharf Tavern has had a makeover and it was boasting 'a great range of cask, craft ales and world beers.'


We decided that a Saturday afternoon cycle ride to the new Wharf Tavern was in order. I prepped the mountain bikes [with the help of a guy who was removing a shed from next door! We adjusted my rear mech and talked about bikes for about 15 minutes. I never thought to ask his name!] We called in for Uncle Jonnie on the way but he had other non-cycling plans. We dropped down onto the canal at the Blue Bell pub and quickly realised that it was even muddier than we'd expected.
We splodged along in slippery mud and puddles for a while but soon got back on the country lanes and made our way up to the pub. We took the opportunity to cycle side-by-side and chat in the sunshine.
 
 
The beer garden has two levels, overlooking the canal
 

The pub was much as we remember it; the 'new look' isn't much more than a lick of paint. We enjoyed the two-level beer garden and even saw a friend there with her son who was enjoying the climbing frame/slide.

 
Now onto the important stuff: Lucy opted for Aspall cider while I enjoyed a Doombar. As it turned out, the Doombar didn't match the heat and sunshine, being a quite a dark, fruity brew. I sampled Lucy's Aspall and wished I'd ordered that instead.

A pint of Shagweaver. And my hairy, muddy leg.
 
For my second pint, I took a chance on a North Cotswold beer called Shagweaver. Although more suited to the conditions than the Doombar, I was disappointed to be able to taste the alcohol in it [4.5%] so strongly.

 
When it started to become chilly, we clambered carefully onto the bikes and weaved our way home on the cycle path running a short way up the A34 to home.
Overall, not a new Wharf Tavern, but still a good place to spend a couple of lazy hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment