. .

Search This Blog

Thursday, May 9, 2024

Week 18 - Instructing the Instructors?

Monday

After college, I went for a brief run (1.5 miles) before making dinner for the family and pouring a few beers.

Run, beers


Tuesday

After lessons, I went along to the college gym on my own, blasted out some heavy metal and rap, and got stuck into my workout (mainly bench press, because I don't have a bench at home.)

Home to drink water instead of beer!

College workout


Wednesday

After lessons, I enjoyed a college gym workout with my mate Michael.

The I cycled home to make dinner and, almost inevitably, enjoy a few ales!

College workout, beers


Thursday

I cycled in to work and back. When I got home, I strapped my knee and then went out for a short run. It was only 1.6 miles but it was a decent pace (for me).

After that, I took charge of a family and friends barbeque. I was very pleased that Mark dropped by so we could have a chinwag. I had a few beers with my dinner and it was great to eat outside for the first time this year. Summer is coming!

Run, beer


Friday

I cycled in to work. The college was having a wellness day. I managed to avoid it by joining an online chess group! Apparently that counts as wellness. After my 'wellness' I cycled the 4.6 miles home and then set about a heavy weight lifting session for an hour.

Then, of course, beers. Hey, it's a bank holiday (no capitals).

Weight training, booze


Saturday

It's all about the bike. Today I set about getting the Specialized road bike back on the road. Last week I had managed to strip off the old components and put the new cassette on. Today, I had to put on the new front rings and then the chain. The front rings went on in minutes, but then I had a real game with the chain! For some reason, my chain tool simply would not cut the chain. It was if the device had suddenly become to big and chunky for a 9 speed chain. I was glad when Jake turned up so he could have a go, but even he didn't have the strength to make it work. Tilly was kind enough to take me down to Halfords to get a new chain tool.

Back at base, Jake and I found that the new tool worked effortlessly, straight away. The chain was now at the required length. We then had a bit of trouble putting the new pin in the chain to hold it together. Jake ended up making a Frankenstein tool out of the new device and the old one. It eventually worked. 

Finally got everything fitted.

For this afternoon's Karate session, I had the group work with a partner and kick some pads. Always good fun. I was disappointed that Village Hotel has now removed the heavy bag from the dojo. I don't know why they would do this. Trying out techniques on the heavy bag was always our favourite way of ending the lesson. Sensei Gary popped in, end he very kindly presented me with some special gifts from his training in Japan!

Back home to eat healthy home-cooked food and drink water.

Karate


Sunday

Up early for the monthly instructors' training session with Sensei Ronnie. The lesson started badly for me when I was asked to take the class for 10 minutes! Many of the class were very experienced higher-grades and I had a very strong sense of imposter syndrome! Put on the spot, my frantic mind latched on to part of yesterday's lesson when we practised side thrust kick in drills and then with a partner. I hope that was the kind of thing Sensei wanted! After that, the class was under the instruction of Sensei Ronnie for the rest of the hour. We focused on some kumite drills and ended the session with light freestyle. It was a warm morning and I was rather sweaty when we finished. I felt great and left the dojo ready for the day! 

Today, Lucy, Martha and I went to visit Debbie and Paul for lunch. He's a great cook and we enjoyed homemade lasagne. I went there without the intention of drinking, but he explained that he had bought several ales for me to enjoy so I felt obliged to have a beer. I didn't take much persuading!

Back at home, I had another beer before enjoying a huge bowl of homemade chilli con carne.

Karate, beers


No comments:

Post a Comment