. .

Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Week 17 - Putting the Bike Back Together

Monday

Bit of a sniff and a sore throat today.

However, I did manage to go for a little run after work. I did a mile and a half and that was enough.

Run


Tuesday

Still have a bit of a sore throat and sniffles. After work, I went along to the dojo to help out with the session. Sensei Jason took the higher grades while I had a lot of fun with some young beginners and some adult lower-grades. It was a difficult mix but we managed to get some good karate done and have a bit of a giggle too!

One beginner was a young lady who was feeling a bit upset at the start of the lesson. She was wearing a hood and had earphones in. I was glad that she came to my session first. It's possible that a different instructor may have forced her to remove the hood and earphones. But I could tell that these things were keeping her calm - there's a good chance that she may be on the autistic spectrum, suffer from social anxiety, or both. It was an act of bravery for her to step into the dojo and I didn't want her to be frightened off by me being stern about her hood and earphones. I made sure she was following instructions and that she was safe while still wearing her hood and having her earphones on. I'm sure these things will be put to one side once she gets more confident in the dojo.

When I got home, I decided that I felt well enough for a few drinks with my dinner!

Karate, booze


Wednesday

Cycled to work. After lessons, I went along to the college gym to do my 40 minutes. Then I cycled home to make chicken and mushroom pasta and drink some more beer!

College workout, beers


Thursday

After work, I did a full hour of weight training in my man cave. I am very pleased to report that I managed to equal my personal record for barbell squats - the first time I've done this since my left knee injury back in July last year (2023). I felt strong but my hamstrings were rather sore. I decided to drink water with my dinner.

Weight Training


Friday

I cycled to work and back.

Tonight's Karate session was run by Sensei Ronnie and he had me instructing the beginners, orange belts and red belts. We did ippon kumite for half an hour and I am genuinely impressed by how well they are doing. They are ready to move on to more challenging things! The Friday night 8th Kyus are going to be a force to be reckoned with as they progress through the belts! 

This evening, we went out to an ex-servicemen's club to celebrate Lily's 18th birthday. She had a lot of fun with family and friends, and the music was good too! I drove the car so I couldn't have any beers, although I was almost tempted to try an Ansell's Mild - I haven't tasted one for about three decades!

By 11pm I was tucked up in bed with a cup of tea.

Karate


Saturday

This morning I set about putting some new components on the bicycle. I'm hoping to be able to ride with the chaps next weekend. I recently came across a fantastic bargain on eBay, and I made sure I got the best deals on Amazon too. The result was all the components I need to get the bike back on the road, plus a reserve bottom bracket and cranks! 



I did as much as I could while dodging the showers (I don't mind working in the rain, but it doesn't do the bike any good.)
In the afternoon, I went along to my Saturday afternoon Karate session. We did a good session, continuing to work on variations for ippon kumite defence and counters.
In the evening, Me, Lucy and the girls went with Dodgy Debbie for curry at the Bangla Lounge. Needless to say, I ended up staying up a bit late and having a few beers! I also indulged in poppadoms, ice cream and chocolate! 

Karate, junkfood, beers

Sunday

The lunchtime Karate session was great. It was my first time in Studio One at Cocks Moors Woods. There is a great atmosphere with this group of students. They are mainly lower grades but they certainly have the right attitude. I hope I get to work with them again. I was pleased to see Sensei Gary, back from his training in Japan. He very kindly let me run the session while he took care of the behind-the-scenes paperwork and stuff. I am also glad to report that the student from Tuesday was no longer wearing her hood or earphones! 

Back home to do an hour of ironing while watching the cricket. Then I was off to Tudor Grange to take the last session of the day. Sensei Joey, a higher grade, was present but he was kind enough to let me run the session. I did an intense, fast lesson covering kihon, kata and kumite. I tested the higher grades to see if they remembered any of the 'new' defences against jodan and chudan attacks - some of them are getting there.

Then back home to put the feet up with a lovely lamb dinner and, of course, a few beers to see the weekend out!

Karate, beers


No comments:

Post a Comment