. .

Search This Blog

Sunday, November 10, 2019

How to Achieve a Black Belt in your Forties (20 days to go)

Monday 28th - Thursday 31st October
It's half term. Lucy is away on a short holiday in Europe.
I lift weights every day and eat healthily, but I also treat myself to a couple of beers every evening.

Friday 1st November
Lucy is back.
In the morning, I do some weight training.
In the evening, we have a house party with loads of family, friends and fireworks!
I drink loads of beer, eat junkfood, and dress up as Batman!

Saturday 2nd November.
Get up early to watch South Africa defeat England in the rugby world cup.
I wish I'd stayed in bed.
The rest of the day was a complete waste, with comfort food and a few ales.

Sunday 3rd November
I walked the dogs in the fresh air.
In the evening, I had a bit more comfort food and three ales.

Monday 4th November
Weight: 10st 6lbs
Back in training, back at work. I cycled in to college and back.
At home, I did a satisfying weights session and then scoffed loads of eggs in my dinner.
Weight training, no junkfood, no alcohol

Tuesday
Weight: 10st 5lbs
I cycled in to work and back and then went to the dojo.
Sensei Gary quite rightly gave me a telling off for not training at the weekend! I assured him that I wouldn't miss another session. 
Sensei Mark took the higher grades for a kumite lesson. He had us practise the changes made to the ju ippon drills that were introduced to the club on Sunday. 
Yes, 4 weeks from the grading and the club has changed the ju ippon attacks! There is now a short step before launching into the techniques properly. This enables the attacker to close the distance much faster and more efficiently. Sensei Mark gave us plenty of opportunity to go over this change and practise against a partner.
Karate, no junkfood, no alcohol

Wednesday
I cycled into work. 
This morning, I did a very challenging circuit of 10 exercises with the sports lads. We went around in pairs, performed each exercise for 30 seconds and we went round twice. I was red faced and perspiring by the end of it!
At 4:30pm, I went along to Mr Roger's interval training session. This time, he wasn't focused on getting us strong or making us sweat. This week he had very kindly focused on the skills that I need as a martial artist. We practised balance, footwork, stance and reaction times. All extremely useful stuff although I was a little disappointed not to break a sweat.
I cycled home and made a healthy curry of tomatoes, chicken and mushrooms made with all fresh ingredients.
Circuit training, no alcohol, no junkfood

Thursday
I cycled to work.
The ICT department took two of our groups for a visit to the Apple store for a free lesson on how to make films using their iPads. It was a good day out!
On the cycle home, I had a bit of a motivational failure: I just couldn't find the strength of will to go for a run. I settled for an hour of weight training instead.
Weight training, no alcohol, no junkfood

Friday
Weight: 10st 3lbs
I cycled to work, tried to stay awake in a meeting and then cycled home.
Martha and I went along to the dojo for another session with Sensei Mark.
The session was great - lots of chopping and changing to keep things interesting. 

Some of the fantastic Karateka at the Friday Tudor Grange session (with our young white belt student of the month.)
At the end, Sensei asked me to perform Jion for my module. He was very kind and said some very nice things about my kata. He signed off the final element in my module.
Karate, no junkfood, no alcohol.

Saturday
I got up early to complete a weight training session.
A family member isn't well so in the morning I travelled down to London on the train to see what I could do. I don't like the place. I know it has a rich history and lots to see but I find it cramped, noisy and unfriendly. 
As it turns out, I couldn't do any good so I got on the 6:05 train from Marylebone. I lasted until 7pm sitting on the floor of the packed train. Then it was just too much so I felt sorry for myself and cracked open the beer I'd been carrying around with me all day!
Back at home, the family were brilliant and cheered me up with chicken and noodles, Strictly Come Dancing and 2 more beers!
Weight training, no junkfood, 3 beers

Sunday
There was a mix up in communication today: Sensei Gary told me there was no early morning training but it turns out that there was a session at 8am run by Sensei Lloyd! Oh well, I took the dogs for walk in the sunshine instead.
Martha and I went along to the 1:15 session at Cocks Moors run by Sensei Joey. Despite some badminton players being rather reluctant to get off the court, it was an enjoyable session which covered the three Ks and kept everyone entertained. Martha and I went home for 40 minutes of rest before heading off to Sensei Ronnie's 2 hour session at Tudor Grange. 
We worked hard at the details of our basics. He singled me out because my movement backwards needs to be improved. Of course, at 1st kyu, we don't perform our basics backwards, but we could be asked to do anything in the grading!
The advanced half of the session focused on the new ju ippon step attacks which we practised on Tuesday. It soon became apparent that it put the defender at a massive disadvantage. It's so hard to make allowances for the extra step and still get the block and counter in. Plus, Sensei has stipulated that the step should be a small one but all the black belts were using it as an excuse to launch themselves halfway across the dojo when they attacked! And using timing against these attacks? Forget it!
I've got 3 weeks exactly to find some sort of defence and counter against these new attacks. There were times today when I considered postponing my grading until April, but then I remembered that everyone is in the same situation: we've only just been shown this change and we all only have 3 weeks to work with it. Surely Sensei will take that into account on the big day.
Martha and I went home for loads of homemade shepherd's pie and piles of green vegetables!
3 hours of karate, no junkfood, no alcohol











No comments:

Post a Comment