. .

Search This Blog

Thursday, October 31, 2019

How to Achieve a Black Belt in Your Forties (34 days to go)

Monday
I woke up feeling a bit ropy after three beers last night - I'm not used to it these days!
I drove the car to work.
Tonight's weight lifting session was good. I've switched to a very wide grip for shrugs and this is really working well on my traps.
Loads of eggs in my dinner.
Weight training, no junkfood, no alcohol

Tuesday
I cycled in to work and back.
Tonight's Karate session was awesome. Sensei Lee had travelled all the way from Tamworth for tonight's session. I've never seen him at a Tuesday night before. Then Sensei Eric turned up and I hadn't seen him for weeks. Next, there was a very capable black belt who I don't even remember seeing before. I knew something was going on but I didn't know what.
And then, Sensei Ronnie Christopher walks in wearing his gi! I haven't seen Sensei at a Tuesday session for at least a year, maybe two or three!
We did some light one for one sparring to warm up and then Sensei took charge of the senior grades. He had us working on ju ippon for the rest of the session! Excellent stuff! It was just what I needed to practise and get clear in my mind in readiness for the grading.
Sensei told us a story about training in Japan and the Japanese flag. It's a story I've heard before but enjoyed hearing again. He also told us about the findings from his 'research' outside...
The emphasis was put on being on the toes, not flat-footed. Sensei repeated the importance of this and then gave us plenty of opportunity to practise the techniques he'll expect to see in the grading. Invaluable stuff!
Karate, no junkfood, no alcohol

Wednesday
Weight: 10st 4lbs
I cycled in to work in thick fog.
Mr Roger is away so I ran this evening's circuit training session for staff. I kept it close to the stuff that Mr Roger does with us - the medicine ball and dumbbell work, lots of bodyweight exercises and everything by the clock. The only differences were that I included a warm up and I also made the duration of the exercises shorter each time we completed a full circuit. This gave everyone the feeling that they were getting some energy back even though they were still working hard!
I cycled home slowly with aching, shaking legs. On the ride, I noticed that the headset on the cheap mountain bike I'm using at the moment has become very loose. Dangerously loose in fact.
I made a huge chicken and mushroom stir fry.
After dinner, I practised last night's ju ippon techniques in the kitchen.
Circuit training, no junkfood, no alcohol

Thursday
I cycled in on the road machine. I didn't trust the headset on the Apollo and my mountain bike still has a flat front.
At work I was hungry! I'd eaten half of my lunch before lunchtime and finished the rest off by 12:30. I was sorely tempted to go to the canteen for pasta and crisps (I was craving carbs) but instead I tried to enjoy a banana and a fistful of mixed nuts.
I cycled home and then set off for my weekly 10K. Again, I failed to make it around the 10K course but this time it was due to the fact that I was desperate for a wee! I cut the last corner which meant I only ran for 5.7 miles instead of 6.3. I was slow anyway at 10m 27s pace.
After a shower, Lucy presented me with homemade pizza! It was absolutely delicious but devoid of any healthy source of protein. I found myself thinking that I may as well have enjoyed those crisps at work!
5.7 miles of running, no sugary foods, no alcohol

Friday
Weight: 10st 3lbs
I got up with a bad back. I had to be very careful - if I leaned over too fast then I experienced what felt like little electric shocks at the base of my spine. Even cleaning my teeth over the sink was painful.
At 10st 3lbs, I'm the lightest I've been since I rebooted my training on the 26th August. I don't know the significance of this.
I cycled gingerly to work.
It was one of those pointless 'training' days so I had a relaxing day in my shorts and t-shirt chatting to colleagues. There was homemade cake on offer which I managed to resist.
I cycled home against a 15mph wind.
Tonight's Karate session was a bit of a mock grading to start with. Lots of kihon up and down the hall. We did some kata too but didn't have time for kumite.
In the kata training, Sensei made me aware of a change to Bassai Dai which I had somehow missed (I don't attend enough advanced sessions on Sundays due to my love of cycling): The first kiai point is no longer a thrust kick, it has been changed to a short strike which in turn is meant to demonstrate a take down. Let's just say that I hope I'm not asked to demonstrate Bassai Dai in the grading.
After the session had ended. Martha and I stayed behind for a bit more kata work. Martha recorded me performing Kanku Dai. I was very disappointed in the result: I'm not moving anywhere near as sharply as I think I am! Also, the change from kekomi to keagi kicks still makes the middle of the kata look sloppy to me (although I'm sure it's more effective.) The old way looked so much tidier.
Anyway, here's an old man's wobbly, out of breath kata:



Back at home, I found it necessary to wear my weight-lifting belt to support my aching back.
We had a huge chicken dinner.
Karate, no junkfood, no alcohol

Saturday
Up early to take Lucy to the airport.
My back felt so much better!
After dropping her off, I went over to Jonnie's place to watch England's glorious victory over the All Blacks. Then I headed off to the bank to put some cash in my account.
I received some bad news on the way home: a member of the family had passed away in his sleep. The family gathered at Jane's place for the day.
Back at home in the evening, I did a very late weight training session.
Weight training, no junkfood, no alcohol

Sunday
Roger, Jonnie and James joined me in the lanes and we cycled off on the Petticoat Route. Roger was back on the bike after about 6 weeks where life got in the way of his riding. He had requested a fairly easy reintroduction and the Petticoat Route was just the job.
The lanes were wet! Even though it was a beautiful, bright dry day, the recent heavy rain had left the lanes with huge puddles everywhere. These puddles would stretch right across the lane and some of them carried on for quite a way. It was quite a task to keep the socks dry. I tended to hit the puddles at a fair speed and then tuck my feet up on the top tube as I wooshed through. It seemed to work.
We refreshed ourselves with two types of cake at Wilmcote as we watched Wales succumb to South Africa in the rugby world cup.
Soon after, we were back in the lanes. James did some fantastic work on the front and dragged us along for a couple of miles at a good pace. However, I became aware that Roger was starting to struggle. As he said himself , "I've put the wrong legs on this morning!" You never know how you're going to feel on the bike until you start pedalling. We've all been there.
So we slowed the pace and had a chatty ride back.
About four miles from home, we saw a group of about five riders stopped and staring at a very large puddle that extended along the lane. Jonnie was in the lead and he simply wooshed past them and through the water without a moment's hesitation. We all followed him and got soaking wet socks as we went along! It was a deep puddle!
What none of us could work out was what the other riders were waiting for. Why were they all just looking at the puddle? James suggested that they were waiting for it to evaporate!
We enjoyed a cup of tea at Jonnie's place and then I headed off home for a healthy lunch and to get ready for dojo.
Today's karate session was mainly kata with some kumite at the end. Sensei Ronnie spent a lot of time explaining techniques, the correct approach, the required attitude and other such priceless stuff that other karateka just wouldn't be exposed to. It's good to have a world champion as your instructor!
He picked up on every little mistake I made, which I'm very grateful for, and then showed me how to put them right.
In the fighting, I wasn't as bad as I usually am and Sensei Joey had some nice things to say about my technique.
At the end of the two hour session, I told Sensei that I was thinking of grading. He replied "good" and gave me some advice about my kumite. Obviously, we both recognise fighting as my area for development. I asked him if I should focus on Kanku Dai and to my surprise he said not to! Apparently I need to develop Jion in readiness for the grading! I was under the impression that Kanku Dai would be the grading kata and I've spent a lot of time developing it. I now have 34 days left to get my Jion up to a black belt standard!
Back at home, after being a good boy all week, I allowed myself some chocolate and 3 beers while watching a film about cycling (Le Ride) which was recommended to me by Jonnie's mom!
35 miles of cycling, 2 hours of Karate, junkfood, 3 beers


No comments:

Post a Comment