. .

Search This Blog

Monday, September 30, 2019

How to Achieve a Black Belt in your Forties (62 days to go)

Monday
Weight: 10st 6lbs
I cycled to work and back and then completed a weight training session. I cooked a big protein-rich dinner.
Weight training, no junkfood, no alcohol.

Tuesday
Weight: 10st 5lbs
I cycled in to work in torrential rain. I was completely soaked from head to foot!
At work I had chicken and salad, nuts, an orange and a banana with plenty of water.
I cycled home.
Tonight's Karate session was a memorable one. Sensei Kai, the guy who won the kumite in the last club competition at Ruach, came along to join in with us. Sensei Gary had no hesitation in making it a fighting session. After a Sensei Russell warm up, we were put into groups and we had a proper gumshields-in kumite contest! It was all quickfire stuff: As soon as a point was scored, the next man was in with the loser staying in the middle. I was with Sensei Kai, young black belt Omar and another 1st kyu Big Shaun.
I started off okay. I managed to win several fights at the start because the same man was losing every fight so had to stay in the middle. However, we decided to give him a break and I ended up facing Sensei Kai. I lost that fight, and then every single fight I had against him after that. I started to get more and more tired and my confidence came crashing down. Soon, everyone was beating me. Big Shaun got more and more aggressive and came crashing into me with powerful mae geri kicks. I have a huge lump on my shin to show for it! (I have strong views about people wearing trainers in the dojo, especially when sparring...)
I was trapped in the middle for a long while but refused to step out. I relished the workout and the challenge and was convinced that the next fight could be a win for me.
After this intense half of the lesson, we were then put on another kumite exercise working with a partner. I was lucky enough to be partnered with Sensei Kai. One man had to have his back against the wall and could only defend. The other guy had to score a point with a punch to chudan. It was awesome training! I got even more bruises, got winded at least twice, and accidentally received some low blows (not my opponent's fault.)
After a quick bit of kata, the session was done. I was utterly exhausted but had endorphins and adrenaline racing through me! Martha had my water bottle because she had forgotten hers so I couldn't even have a drink tonight!
Sensei Kai came to see me at the end to shake hands. It kind of reminded me of when I used to spar with Sensei Jody.
Afterwards, Martha was a little upset and ended up in tears of frustration. There were no other adult females in the dojo tonight so she spent the hour sparring with children. She was desperate to get stuck in but never had the chance. I suggested that competitions are the way to fight people of her own age.
Back at home, I started to really notice the knocks I'd taken. The leg was properly hurting, the bruises began to make themselves known, particularly on my arms, and, most worryingly, my back was aching.
I'm considering having a break from circuit training tomorrow. I'll see how I feel in the morning.
In the evening, I chatted online to Sensei Jody to find out the best way to tackle Sensei Kai. I hope to do a little better next time.
Karate, no junkfood, no alcohol.

Wednesday
I cycled to work in the rain.
I did a circuit with the sports lads in the morning session. My leg was really aching where Big Shaun had given it several big boots - higher up at the top of my left thigh. My back was twinging too. However, I got through the session okay.
After the afternoon lessons, I got together with the usual crew of staff and, in the absence of Mr Roger who was off-site, I devised a martial-arts based circuit including a bit of pad work for kicks and punches. Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves although they are all too nice to say otherwise! I cycled home hot and sweaty. I cooked a chicken, mushroom and tomato curry and watched the finale of Peaky Blinders series 5.
Circuit training, no junkfood, no alcohol.

Thursday
Weight: 10st 4lbs
My leg isn't good at all. I cycled in to work but wasn't able to put much pressure on the pedals. I just kept it in an easy gear and span lightly.
On the ride home, my leg was still in pain so I decided that the scheduled 10K run was a bad idea. I got back to the man cave and did a weight session instead. The leg protested at times, particularly during the deadlifts, but I got it done.
Weight training, no junkfood, no alcohol

Friday
Weight: 10st 5lbs
I cycled in, keeping pressure off the bad leg.
It was Macmillan coffee morning in the Supported Learning department and there were cakes everywhere! Because it's my birthday at the weekend, I bought a tray of cakes for the staffroom and a tray for my students. Somehow, I managed to resist having any cake myself - even Lucy's flapjack! I was eating bananas, oranges and nuts while everyone else was enjoying fairycakes. It took a lot of willpower.
My leg was really aching on the ride home.
Tonight's dojo session was run by Sensei Ronnie Christopher. He's not the kind of man to whom you complain about an injured leg. I got stuck into the session as best I could. Unfortunately, it involved a lot of pad work (which is normally a great thing!) and a lot of kicks. My supporting leg buckled twice during the session but nobody noticed. Sensei Ronnie reprimanded me for not being more experimental with my kicks on the pads. I said "Oss, Sensei" and went to the back of the line up.
At home, I decided to rest the leg for 24 hours which meant no weight training, dojo or running tomorrow. I also found out that I was having dinner on my own tonight. Feeling a bit sad, I drank some beers.
Karate, no junkfood, 3 beers.

Saturday
Weight: 10st 5lbs
Lucy and I did a big shop in the morning and then I walked the dogs in the park.
Martha and I went along to the afternoon dojo session. I'd explained to Sensei Gary that I was resting my injuries. He allowed me the great honour of teaching the lower grade students. It's difficult! They are very limited in what they know and are comfortable doing. I was trying to find ways of not making it boring. I'm not sure I succeeded!
In the afternoon, Jane and Eric joined us for my birthday dinner and I received some lovely presents from them and the girls. I was very spoilt, as usual.
I drank a couple of beers and then enjoyed a couple of glasses of red wine.
No exercise, alcohol, pudding

Sunday
The rain was torrential when I woke up. At 7am the sky was dark with swirling sheets of water. Jonnie contacted me and reminded me that I could cancel the ride...it was very tempting to stay inside in the dry!
At 8:30, Russ arrived. He had ridden through the rainstorm and was dripping, soaking wet. Shortly after, James cycled up and then Fast Ant and Deadly Dan pulled up in the NWAlps race van.
The biggest shock of the day was that Fast Ant was wearing a full Lycra outfit. This had never been seen before! He was wearing an Eddie Merckx Molteni replica shirt and it suited him completely. I was rather envious.
We called for Jonnie and then the six of us set off into the lanes. There was standing water everywhere! Quite often, lanes were waterlogged from one side to the other and we had no option but to ride slowly down the middle and hope to avoid potholes. This affected the average, but it wasn't a day for worrying about average speeds.
Most of the work on the front was shared by Fast Ant and James. They are naturally quick and unintentionally kept the pace high. Jonnie and I were having a quite a workout just trying to keep up while the rest of the guys were having a nice chat. They really are super fit cyclists! 
We cycled down through Binton (I got on the front for this bit until, inevitably, Jonnie wafted past pedalling some massive gear downhill) and then on through Luddington and the edge of Stratford Upon Avon. We arrived at Wilmcote after 31 miles. It seemed a lot longer! Most of the ride had been against a headwind. Strangely, despite the miserable BBC weather forecast, it hadn't rained at all and so the six of us sat outside in the front garden enjoying tea, coffee and homemade cake with Eric, Jane and Yvonne.
We're cool and we know it.
With Yvonne after tea and cake.

After a short route meeting, we decided to head back over the 18 miles of High Cross in reverse. I led us out down Featherbed lane with the wind behind us. James and Fast Ant took over after we had climbed up Gospel Oak Lane. Again, the chaps on the front set a good pace and Jonnie and I found ourselves working hard just to keep them in view, let alone stay on their wheels!
With the wind behind us, the going was a little faster and before we knew it we were at Packwood House. This is when the rain started! It was heavy and soaked us thoroughly. However, it was warm rain on a warm day. It was like taking a shower while wearing Lycra!
We got ourselves on to the A34, surrounded by cars with the big Tesco junction to navigate. I asked the guys to stay on my wheel. I intended to guide them through the chaos as I had ridden this way many times before. Before I knew it, Jonnie was hurtling down the wrong lane with the lads following him! Happily, it was a just a good laugh and no one got into any dangerous situations!
Back at my place, we dripped water all over the dining room and drank some quality ales. I count myself very lucky to have such good mates who will come out and ride with me on my birthday despite such a terrible weather forecast.
A little later, Lucy and I met up with Jonnie and Sally for some birthday drinks in a local country pub (it had been Sally's birthday yesterday.) Happily, we bumped into Sensei Tony and his wife. We had a couple of rounds of energy drinks together!
Back at home, I opened the rest of my fantastic presents from Lucy. I've had loads of presents this year, as I always do, including Dave Hazard's 2007 autobiography Born Fighter. I can't wait to finish my book about the cycling world championships so I can get stuck into Sensei Hazard's book.
Freddie the Dog tried to eat the corner of Sensei Hazard's book.
As expected, I had another beer with my dinner followed by some more homemade pudding. Birthday's are great fun but really not any good for my training. And I've signed up for the club Karate competition next Sunday!
50 miles of cycling, junkfood, beers

No comments:

Post a Comment