. .

Search This Blog

Monday, September 23, 2019

How to Achieve a Black Belt in your Forties (69 days to go)

Monday 
Weight: 10st 5lbs
76 days to go.
I cycled in to work, ate chicken and pasta, cycled home.
I did some weight training tonight and then cooked a protein rich dinner for Lucy and myself.
Weight training, no junkfood, no booze.

Tuesday
Weight: 10st 5lbs
I cycled to work, ate chicken sandwiches, cycled home.
Tonight's Karate session was handled by Sensei Joey, Sensei Russell and Sensei Gary. We got to do lots of basics and a bit of sparring towards the end. I didn't really feel I got into a high gear with sparring and then we were brought back down with a game of 'tag the tummy' to involve the lower grades.
I think I would have preferred a proper, gumshields in, point-scoring, freestyle type of lesson tonight.
Still, I got to practise some moves.
Back at home, I ate loads of homemade spaghetti bolognese.
Later on, I drove to the city centre to collect Lucy and Dodgy from a Muse concert. I didn't get to bed until about midnight!
Karate, no junkfood, no alcohol

Wednesday
Weight: 10st 5lbs
I cycled in to work.
In this morning's sports lesson, I conducted some fitness tests with the students. One of the tests was a measure of how many press-ups we could do in a minute. I'm pleased to say that I managed to beat all of these young blokes (aged 16-19) with a score of 71!
After that, I did a circuit with them comprised of many different exercises such as battle rope, skipping, pad work, sit ups, triceps dips etc. I went to lunch rather hot and sweaty!
Once the afternoon's ICT lessons were done, I headed off to Mr Roger's interval training session. It was a real killer as usual! He had us working with dumbbells including squats and military presses. The session ended with Man Makers! This horrible (and very effective) exercise combined all the other dumbbell exercises into one continuous, tortuous movement which we had to keep doing for 2 minutes. After that, I don't think any of us could have done anything else! I led the stretching before cycling home to cook chicken and vegetable stir fry.
Circuit training (twice!), no junkfood, no alcohol

Thursday
Weight: 10st 7lbs
I cycled in to work and back. My legs were still a little sore from yesterday's efforts, but I didn't feel too bad.
However, at home I suffered a motivational crisis. I just couldn't be arsed to go running. So I sat in my comfortable swivel chair in the man cave and imagined having the night off from exercise. Then I imagined having a few beers...maybe an ice cream. And then, I imagined myself failing my black belt grading in December and how that would feel.
I made a deal with myself: if I could run my 10K route in less than 63 minutes and 20 seconds then I would allow myself some ale.
I strapped on the running shoes and forced myself out of the door. To be honest, even though I hate running, I felt okay and was up to speed straight away. I kept focused on the prize and remembered why I was doing it (the black belt AND the beer!)
I got home in a time of 62 minutes and 9 seconds. 
Strava result from this evening's run.

After a glass of milk, an energy bar and a shower, I enjoyed my homemade dinner with two bottles of ale and a can of Guinness to finish!
10K run, no junkfood, 3 beers

Friday
Weight: 10st 5lbs
I woke up really early after a disturbed night of bad dreams. Drinking beer before bed isn't a good idea.
After breakfast, I felt like my old self again. I jumped on the bike and cycled in to work. At work I ate like a champion: fresh chicken and potatoes, nuts and fruit, and plenty of water. I cycled home ready for Karate.
Tonight's session was quite unique. Literally half of the lesson was spent stretching! I was lucky enough to be partnered with Sensei Gary and he made sure that my legs were properly stretched out. Working closely with the man, I could tell just how incredibly strong he is. Even though he is a very friendly guy and always smiling, he could snap you like a twig if he felt like it.
The second half of the lesson was spent drilling the fundamentals of karate: the stance and position of weight over the toes. We worked on technique and speed. A thoroughly rewarding hour.
Back at home, more healthy food! I ate fish, rice and masses of French beans.
Mouse and I stayed up late watching Into the Spider-Verse until I went to meet Martha from work.
Karate, no junkfood, no alcohol.

Saturday

Weight: 10st 5lbs
My alarm went off at 7:30. I was up for breakfast and then, an hour later, started a decent weight lifting session.
Today we dropped Mouse off at her university and came back after we had her settled in. At 5pm I took the dogs for a stroll through the park. It was a beautifully warm and sunny day with a light breeze so it wasn't too hot. It was a very peaceful hour.
Back at home, I enjoyed a beer in the back garden, a beer watching the t20 final and a beer with dinner!
Weight training, no junkfood, 3 beers.

Sunday
Weight: 10st 4lbs
Up at 7:30. I'd had some trouble sleeping last night and had been awake between 2am and 4. However, I felt fine after I'd had breakfast (muesli and Greek yogurt.) I did a morning weight training session which was just a fraction heavier than yesterday's. Then I cycled up the road to watch the rugby with Jonnie and Harry. 
Jonnie and I had some midday beers along with tremendous bacon and sausage baps! 
Back at home in the afternoon and I did allow myself two more beers and some naughty food.
Weight training, junkfood, ales

In summary: I managed to exercise everyday but I drank a little too much this week (Thursday, Saturday and Sunday.) I can't let my love of ale stop me from reaching my goals!

No comments:

Post a Comment