. .

Search This Blog

Monday, March 19, 2018

How to Lose a Belly When You're 43 (part 22)

Monday
Weight: 10st 5lbs
I cycled in to work and back. During the ride, I was aware of a 'lumpy' feeling coming up through the wheels and into the frame. The wheels didn't feel loose, however.
During tonight's weight lifting, I increased the weights a little. I was very pleased to equal my all-time record for barbell shrugs over 5 sets of 5 reps. Hopefully, I 'll be able to do the same for other exercises such as squats and deadlifts before the end of next month.
I stayed up a bit late and drank two glasses of red wine...
Weight training, no junkfood, 2 glasses of red wine.

Tuesday
Weight: 10st 4lbs
I jumped on the Raleigh to cycle to work but the 'wobble' was too alarming. I checked the bike again and this time managed to spot the problem: the rear tyre wall had split and the inner tube was bulging through and rubbing against the mudguard! I went back and swapped bikes.
Tonight's dojo session was run by Sensei Gary and involved lots of basics and lots of kata. He didn't seem impressed by the standard of kata - the club has some work to do! I think my own kata was acceptable, I'm just a little tired from work. I wish I could do karate in the mornings...
At home, I had another red wine.
Karate, no junkfood, one glass of red wine.

Wednesday
Weight: 10st 4lbs
So what happened was, I got home from work to cook dinner for Lucy and myself. I thought I'd have a glass of red while cooking at 6:30. My weight lifting session was planned for 9:30 - plenty of time to sober up. However, after my one glass of wine, I then opened up a beer...
Lucy came home to find me opening my second bottle of ale with a stupid grin on my face.
Oh well, at least I rode the bike to work and back.
No junkfood, no exercise, red wine, 2 beers.

Thursday
Weight: 10st 4lbs
I cycled in to work in the rain. The trouble with having to ride the Specialized instead of the Raleigh is the absence of mud guards! My 'waterproof' trousers were soaked through and I had to change into my emergency pants kept in my filing cabinet at work!
This afternoon's session with the sports group was great. We did a martial-arts based warm up with pad work which the lads enjoyed and then we did two hard circuits together including medicine balls, more pad work, heavy bag, battle rope, press ups, sit ups, triceps dips, skipping and mini-hurdles.
I was red faced and sweating by the end of it!
I cycled home and then did a slow 1.8 mile jog with Martha who is making another effort to get fit. I hope she sticks to it, I'll certain help her on her journey.
I've finally received the letter from the hospital outlining the results of my cardiac monitor from January 2nd. It's completely unintelligible to me, full of words such as 'ectopic', 'bradycardia' and 'tachycardia' among others. I have no idea what it means. What's the point of sending out a letter like that? Surely it will just worry people?
Lucy cooked a wonderful homemade sausage casserole and I enjoyed two beers with an episode of the excellent Daredevil on Netflix.
No junkfood, circuit training, slow jog, 2 ales.

Friday
No cycling today. We had to be at two different campuses today so Lucy and I used the car. While at work, I called up my GP and they will call me back in a week (!) to explain my worrying letter about my heart.
Martha came with me to the dojo tonight. Once again, Sensei Russell did a no-nonsense, strong training session with some fitness thrown in. I was partnered with Sensei Lee - very fast, very aggressive and respectful at all times, he pushed me hard to do my best and gave me the occasional piece of advice. Towards the end of the session I was hot and sweaty after belting out 5 kata in a row! Great training.
At home, we had Lucy's mate Dodgy Debbie over for drinks. I stayed up too late and drank too many beers!
I went to bed after midnight to dream of spiders chasing me around the house.
Karate, no junkfood, 4 bottles of beer.

Saturday
Weight: 10st 4lbs
I woke up as soon as it was light and eventually made my way downstairs at 7. It was cold and snowing outside.
After playing some records and getting my head feeling okay again, I took the dogs for a walk in the park. It was unbelievably cold! I was wearing a thermal base layer, vest, hoodie, shirt and a coat but the weather was still making me wince. I could barely look up into the cold wind. My nose went numb. The dogs and I struggled on... I got talking to a nice lady after Freddie tried to shag her dog (also called Freddie.)
After lunch, I headed off to this afternoon's Karate session. Sensei Tony took charge of the beginners while Sensei Gary drilled the higher grades. After putting us through basics at maximum speed, we were instructed to form teams for kata. I was put with Sensei Jody and two brand new teenage black belts. We practised Enpi together and then performed it in front of the club. I gave it everything and I think we did well. However, when I sat down to watch the other teams, I experienced that increasingly familiar sensation of my heart leaping about in my chest. I was okay after a little while and felt better when I was back on my feet and moving around.
Back at home, I had a lovely dinner of homemade fish and chips with peas, along with two beers.
Bed early.
Karate, no junkfood, 2 beers.

Sunday
Weight: 10st 3lbs
Snowstorm!
It was a blizzard out there, I was very glad that Jonnie and I had decided not to ride. It would have been impossible on road bikes. Instead, Martha and I walked the dogs in the snow.
Not the weather for riding bicycles...

When I got back, I did a weights session and then we wandered up to Jonnie and Sally's place for afternoon drinks. I drank beer for three hours and had a good chat.
Back at home, Lucy made a fantastic chicken dinner. I started to feel ropey by about 8 and by the time I went to bed at 11 I felt terrible. 
Weight training, no junkfood, 4 or 5 beers.


This week, I seem to have lost a couple of pounds but I've drank alcohol every single day! However, I haven't had any junkfood and I've exercised every day (if I count cycling to work on Wednesday.) I'm determined to train properly next week.





No comments:

Post a Comment