. .

Search This Blog

Sunday, March 4, 2018

How to Lose a Belly When You're 43 (part 20)

Monday
Weight: 10st 7lbs
So I seem to be 3lbs heavier than I was this time last week. It confirms what I already know: no amount of exercise can counteract drinking alcohol and eating junkfood. 115 miles on the bike can't compensate for the drunken debauchery of last Wednesday or the over indulgence of Thursday. And my belly is definitely getting bigger - no doubt about it.
Today I cycled in to work with the temperature at below zero. It even started snowing on my way in. I ate healthy stuff at work and then cycled home. I listened to a programme on Radio4 where Tim Noakes, a scientist who is also a runner, said he cut carbs almost entirely from his diet and his performance increased dramatically. But then he couldn't explain whey the Kenyan runners are the best in the world and only eat meat once per week...
I did a weight lifting session which was the heaviest I've managed since October. It left me aching with my arms shaking nicely! Bed at 11.
No junkfood, no alcohol, weight training.

Tuesday
I cycled in to work while the temperature was 3 below zero with snow in my eyes. Ate healthily all day, cycled home with snow in my eyes.
Tonight's dojo session was fantastic - working the basics at break-neck pace while still expected to maintain good form. Then we moved onto kata. My Bassai Dai suffered because of my lack of fitness. Home for fish, rice and green beans.
No junkfood, no alcohol, Karate.

Wednesday
Mouse's birthday!
It snowed on and off all day. With my mountain bike being used by young Harry, I opted to drive to work. In the evening, we had a house full of friends and family to celebrate Mouse's birthday. Hydro was there too.
I overindulged with cake, beer, cava and crisps. I had a lovely homemade beef chili too.
No exercise, junkfood, alcohol.

Thursday
Weather conditions are getting worse with lots of wind and snow. I drove in to work today.
For some reason, I couldn't resist treats today although I didn't have many.
The news appeared on Facebook that the Mad March Hare on Sunday has been postponed because of the weather.
It took Lucy and me an hour to drive the 4.5 miles home - the snow reduced the traffic to a slow crawl.
In the evening, I did a good weights session and then set about making dinner. During cooking, we discovered that the decision had been made to close the college tomorrow. We were having a snow day! This was cause for celebration so I drank a few beers this evening!
Weight lifting, junkfood, 3 bottles of ale.

(The rest of this post is written in red. I don't know why and I can't find a way to change it back. Sorry.)

Friday

SNOW DAY!
Today, I drove Lucy out to Warwick Hospital to pick up the Cakemaker after her recent operation. Hopefully she'll be back to her old self and making cakes very soon. Speaking of cakes, it was at the hospital that Lucy surprised me with a slice of carrot cake with my cup of tea while we were waiting for Jane to be discharged! That was end of healthy eating for the day...
It was very treacherous driving conditions today. The motorway was fine but everywhere else was under quite a bit of snow. Cars were skidding or stuck quite often. I even had a couple of little skids myself but my passengers didn't notice!
In the evening, Martha decided that she didn't want to go training. I guess she's finally losing interest in Karate which is a terrible shame. She wasn't too far away from her black belt.
Sensei Gary and I were the only people who braved the conditions to make it to dojo. He was kind enough to spend half an hour with me and we went over three different kata. I was very grateful to him for my one-to-one training session!
In the evening, the family (apart from Tilly) watched the season finale of Daredevil, and I sipped almost a whole bottle of red wine!
After everyone had gone to bed, I considered playing some more of Final Fantasy 15 on the PS4 but I found that I was too 'relaxed' by the wine to concentrate!
Bed at 10:30 instead...
Half an hour of Karate, junkfood, most of a bottle of wine


Saturday
Blood pressure: 125/76
Resting heart rate: 50 bpm
I woke up with a bit of a headache. By the time I'd had breakfast I was feeling fine. I dropped Martha off at work and then took the dogs to trudge around in the snow in the park. The park was very busy! Loads of families playing in the snow and groups of dog walkers chatting away like it's Christmas Day.
After a high-protein lunch (eggs and baked beans!) I went along to the Saturday afternoon Karate session. I enjoyed pushing myself to try to perfect basic techniques (an impossibility, but you have to keep pushing for perfection just to improve) and then helped a purple belt with her Tekki Shodan. Towards the end of the lesson, Sensei had me lead a small group of beginners through their first kata.
On the drive home, I realised that I hadn't broken a sweat during that lesson, so I decided to do some weight training tonight.
After I collected Martha form work, I did a good weight training session before dinner. 
In the evening, I treated myself to two bottles of beer and went to bed before 11.
Karate, weight training, no junkfood, 2 bottles of ale.

Sunday
I did my best to eat healthily today. Lots of fibre in the form of 3 weetabix for breakfast and then brown rice and chicken for lunch.


Chicken and brown rice. As boring as it looks.
In the afternoon, I attended the first half of the two-hour Sunday Karate session. I had to leave early because we had Jonnie and Sally coming over for dinner.
The trouble started when I got home - too much fun. Jonnie and I got stuck into beer and red wine and ate far too much. I stayed up late watching a classic Slayer concert on Youtube and eating junkfood. I went to bed just before midnight.
Lucy says I slept, but I don't remember falling asleep. All I remember is lying in bed for hours with a bad stomach and a banging head until eventually the sun came up and it was time for work...
Karate, junkfood, booze



1 comment: