. .

Search This Blog

Sunday, February 8, 2015

Fat Belly 'Training' - Week Five

Monday
After 12 hours at work (one of my students was made homeless), I wasn't in the mood to do anything apart from sip red wine and sit on my lazy ass.

Tuesday
Cycled to work and back.
With the shoulder still not healed enough for martial arts, I took the opportunity to go for a run with some of my work colleagues. With 2 minutes warning, I pulled on some track-suit bottoms and Adidas shell-toes and set off with 5 other members of staff. Craig is a bit of a dark horse when it comes to running: okay, he cut the corner off at the park, but he still managed to run the route whilst talking non-stop and then finish with an uphill sprint! I was just happy to do the 2.5 miles without having to stop or walk.
Unfortunately, shell-toes aren't designed for actual sport and they had rubbed the hell out of my feet.

Wednesday.
Cycled to work and back.
I did not train, but I was DM for one hell of a game of Dungeons and Dragons! (An 18" 1st level paladin sawing the head off a comatose 8ft demon?)

Thursday
Run: 14 minutes.

Friday
Cycled to work and back.
Party at Uncle Jonnie's! I drank lots of beer, watched England fight Wales and then went home to play computer games until 2am. There was no training, but there were pork baps.

Saturday
Does walking the dogs count as exercise? Probably not.
Today, having sold the SPD shoes and pedals, I realised I needed to put my old pedals back on the bike. However, the old gear was in need of a service - the axles were moving around a lot inside the pedals. With the help of a 20 minute youtube video, I was able to strip and clean everything, re-grease the bearings and put it all back together properly adjusted. By the time it was done, I was rather filthy and had made full use of my three tool boxes.
It was quite possibly the most satisfying thing I've ever done with my hands!



On Saturday evening, I trained by eating chocolate and watching The Lego Movie with Mouse.

Sunday
Back on two wheels! It was 0 degrees in the morning, with a frost. Happily, there was no wind so I set off to Jonnie's with hope in my heart.
At first the ride was slow and nervous, with shiny roads and frosty patches everywhere. Gradually, the day warmed and we two sweaty blokes found dry roads out towards Langley! We went as fast as we dared, with Jonnie still having to ease up and wait for me after most descents. I was still very nervous after my crash, and a lot of the hills had ice on them at the bottom.
After a welcome cake stop at Jane and Eric's, we applied ourselves to the climbs and headed north for the last 15 miles. The legs felt good, the shoulder only ached when I was shifting position on the bike, and I felt I had a lot left after 40 miles. Jonnie was feeling good too. Bring on the Mad March Hare!



Still unable to use my left arm to attack or defend, I had to sit out of karate. Martha continued to impress me at the dojo, however, doing very well in her role as team captain this afternoon.
 
After my 14 minute run this evening, I weighed myself and was surprised to learn that I am continuing to lose weight!
 
 
Week Five: three runs and a bike ride, lots of booze, masses of party food and chocolate, loss of 1lb!

No comments:

Post a Comment