. .

Search This Blog

Sunday, February 15, 2015

Fat Belly Training - Week Six

Monday
Cycled to work and back. I took the construction students to the gym as usual this morning. With their encouragement, I joined in as best I could with 4 sets of bench presses. I only dared go up to 35kg for 8 reps. The shoulder didn't like it, but I did!
I went for a 16 minute run when I got  home.

Tuesday
Cycled to work and back. I then took Martha to the dojo. With the shoulder still giving me problems (especially sleeping), I'm still not ready to try it out in a karate lesson. I spoke with Sensei Jim and he suggested joining in for some basics and light stuff. I think I might try that next week. While Martha got stuck into her lesson, I went for a 16 minute run in the surrounding area.

Wednesday
Got up for a 16 minute run at 7am. Cycled to work and back.
Still no junk food or booze this week.

Thursday

After leaving work, I stomped around Solihull shopping centre. From there, I went to pick Mouse up from a friend's house. By the time we got home, I lacked the time/motivation to go for a run before dinner. After eating, I sat around feeling guilty until I eventually put the turbo trainer back up in the man-cave and did a 10pm turbo session while the rest of the family were asleep!
In fourth gear, I survived 19 minutes in the big ring and 8 minutes in the little ring. All at 80 rpm. I know my rpm because I counted.
It hurt. But no where near as much as the torment of a lazy day with no exercise

Friday
29 minutes on the turbo trainer. My word, it was hard. The sweat was running off me and I really had to give myself a talking-to in order to get to the end of it. I was very close to getting off and getting a beer! I'm glad I didn't.
Afterwards, I felt the need to ice my left knee. The knee also woke me up in the night because it felt as if it had locked into position. 
Just what I need...

Saturday

Got up late (8:30) and was a bit concerned by the aching knee. I covered it in Tiger Balm and wrapped it up. I have no idea if Tiger Balm is doing any actual good, but it feels great! 



At midday, I took the dogs for a jog around the park. I did another 16 minute run and felt good and strong, like I could do more. Back home, I iced the knee, just to be sure.

In the evening, Lucy and I went out for a Valentine's dinner at the Bell Inn in Tanworth in Arden. As I had heard from others, the manager was a bit of a strange chap, never smiling and always serious. However, he provided faultless service, great food and a warm, pleasant environment with a log fire. I had Black Country faggots and Lucy chose duck. We were very happy with our meals and with our two bottles of Merlot!
Back at home, I stopped boozing and forced myself to drink as much water as possible while watching a documentary about the Eagles.

Sunday Weight: 10st 3lbs
I woke up about 5:30am with a horrible head. I tossed and turned for about an hour until I finally drifted off again. Up at 7:30 for bacon and eggs, a satsuma, redbush tea and cake. With a pint of water. By the time I got on the bike, I still felt rubbish but I felt I could cope with a ride. Jonnie and I headed off on our Stratford 48 route. 
The left knee was liberally covered in Tiger Balm and held for the entire ride. It made itself felt when I was Contadoring out of the saddle on climbs, but it was fine when I did some Froomey stem-staring up the hills.
Jonnie, as always, was a demon on the wet and muddy descents. I, however, am going from bad to worse when it comes to going downhill: the crash has seriously knocked my confidence. I'm sure some dry weather will help, though.
After a detour to our usual cake stop (thanks Jane), the last 24 miles home through Snitterfield and Langely were an uphill challenge and one that I enjoyed immensely.
When we finally rolled up to Jonnie's place we were pleased to find that we had covered 49.8 miles! Jonnie's family encouraged him to go around the block to bring up the half century, but he was having none of it. We had flapjack and hops-based recovery drinks instead.
At home, I put away 2 large chicken breasts and 2 mugs of tea. After that, I thought it was time to relax and allowed myself the rest of the evening to enjoy whatever food and drink I wanted! 
Cheers!


Week six: exercise every day, Junkfood on one day, booze on two days, lost: 1lb

No comments:

Post a Comment