. .

Search This Blog

Sunday, November 5, 2023

Week 13 - Half Term

Monday

Today was dry but there had been a lot of rain recently. I jumped on the race bike and headed off to the outdoor cycling track at Tudor Grange. The 0.5 mile circuit was strewn with mud, standing water and wet leaves. I couldn't really get up to speed but I could get round at over 15mph. Unfortunately, people still insist on walking dogs on a cycling track. Even when they can see I'm training there. I find it hard to believe, even as I type this, that people would let an animal loose on a cycling track, currently being used by cyclists, and then shuffle around after the dog as if it's a quite normal and acceptable thing to do. Even when I ask them "Excuse me, do you know this is a cycling track?" they don't reply, just gawp at me like I'm speaking an alien language. So then I have to navigate running dogs and their imbecile owners.

Anyway, I returned home after 15 miles at 15.6mph.

Cycling, no junkfood, no alcohol


Tuesday

Weight training, no junkfood, no beers


Wednesday

Weight training, no junkfood, no beers


Thursday

I got up at 5:45am. Today I was a deputy chief invigilator at the NEC. I was responsible for a room of 122 doctors taking a professional qualification. I had a team of 5 invigilators working with me. At first, I was a little out of my comfort zone, but I felt better once I had the microphone in my hand and had the attention of the room! It was a three hour exam that started late. Then I had to count all the papers, put them in alphabetical order and check them against a list. I got home at about 3:30pm!

I did an hour of weight training before having a sit down and a chat with Sally and Lucy. Then I helped myself to a beer...

Weight training, no junkfood, beers


Friday

I woke up feeling a little rough, but not too bad. I walked Freddie in the park, and the idiot dog trotted off from me and then walked home by himself. I have no idea how he navigates his way across the busy roads or why he does it. It's not the first time. Anyway, the fresh air helped and by the evening I was firing on all cylinders and ready for Karate! 

Sensei Ronnie was in charge and we did lots of work on Kata including Hangetsu and Sochin. I still can't get the two kicks to work in the middle of Sochin - I have no idea what to with my hands. I'll keep working on it. We also did a bit of basic one-step sparring. I was lucky enough to partner Sensei Kai. He certainly put me under pressure and I like to think I kept him on his toes too.

At home - fireworks! Mouse invited her friends over, I set a fire in the fire pit, Lucy and I poured a drink or two, and I had a whale of a time letting off rockets! The young people were in fancy dress and they even enjoyed sparklers! A top notch night and only 3 beers.

Karate, no junkfood, alcohol


Saturday

I cycled to the dojo. It was a very cold and wet day. However, that didn't stop my students from turning up. We focused on basics for the first half of the lesson and then turned our attention to one-step sparring. We looked at two different counter attacks to a jodan punch, working with partners. As always, heavy bag to finish!

No beers, early to bed.

Karate, no junkfood, no booze.


Sunday

Up at 6:30am ready for instructors' training! When I got there, it was full of young black and brown belts, but there were only 3 of us instructors. Sadly, Sensei Ronnie decided that wasn't enough to do instructors' training. We did a fitness circuit instead. Then on to kata for the rest of the lesson. I got useful tips/info about Kata Empi which I will use in the competition on the 19th.

Back at home to do loads of ironing. I also spent a couple of hours restoring a wooden kitchen chair donated to me by neighbour Luke. It's starting to look good.


In the evening: a huge chicken dinner accompanied by some top quality ales!

Karate, no junkfood, beers


Summary

I exercised for an hour each day and managed to not eat any junkfood for the entire week. However, I didn't go for a run, and I drank beers three nights out of seven. I still feel that I made a bit of progress this week, but I need to push it harder next week as the competition gets nearer.

No comments:

Post a Comment