. .

Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 15, 2019

How to Achieve a Black Belt in Your Forties (48 days to go)

Monday
Weight: 10st 5lbs
I cycled in to work with my medals jangling in my backpack. I showed my medals to my students in an effort to inspire them to join a sport or martial arts club.
I cycled home for some weight training before making Mexican scrambled eggs for dinner. Protein!
Weight training, no junkfood, no alcohol.

Tuesday
Weight: 10st 5lbs
I cycled in to work. There was some bad behaviour in the college and the quality of my lessons suffered because of it.
I was glad to get out of there today.
Today's Karate session was fast and fun and all about kicks. We had a new adult join us and he obviously has a martial arts background. I worked with him for the first part of the lesson. He certainly shows potential.
Home for two huge bowlfuls of homemade meatballs and wholewheat pasta!
Karate, no junkfood, no alcohol.

Wednesday
I cycled in to work.
I designed a circuit for the sports lads that involved punching, kicks, dumbbell work, triceps dips, battle rope, medicine ball work, skipping rope and hurdles. 12 different exercises in all. I did the whole circuit with them. Twice. By the end of it I was aching and red-faced, but had to get ready for afternoon lessons! I got changed quickly and had a few bites of my healthy lunch.
After lessons, I went along to the gym for another circuit training session! This time it was devised and led by Mr Roger. There were 5 of us there and we all inspired and encouraged each other to keep going. It was an incredibly hard circuit of 16 different exercises including squat kicks (which I loved) and medicine ball Russian twists (which I loathed.) We went round twice. Mr Roger wanted us to do a third circuit but we'd ran out of time! I did a bit of a stretch with the gang before eating the last of my lunch and cycling home to cook a beef and mushroom stir fry.
Circuit training (twice!), no junkfood, no alcohol

Thursday
I cycled in to work. I ate home-cooked ham on wholemeal baps. I cycled home.
I went out for a 10K in my brand new running shoes!


Would my brand new running shoes make a difference to my 10K performance? No.
I set off feeling fairly strong. The shoes felt weird mainly because they were so comfortable! I was wearing brand new socks too. The shoes were certainly more springy than my old pair. Unfortunately, by the first mile marker I was already down on last week's time. Things got steadily worse from there: I wasn't gasping, I wasn't even breathing hard, I was just so tired! I got slower and slower until, after 3.5 miles, I sort of involuntarily slowed to a walk. I was just done in! Not out of breath, not in pain, just tired to the core.
I walked/jogged/walked/jogged my way back home.
We had a late dinner so it was hard to get to sleep.
3.5 miles of running, no junkfood, no alcohol.

Friday
I cycled in to college. At work, we've been asked to develop extra lessons for our managed learning week in the department. My task was to plan, and produce the resources for, a three hour lesson on sustainability and the environment. Trouble is, Friday afternoon is the only time I get to plan my timetabled lessons for the coming week! I just couldn't get it all done.
I cycled home in the mood for a good hard Karate session.
Unfortunately it was a bit of a silly lesson.
Young people make up the vast majority of the students at Ruach, and tonight they were in a jovial mood. Sensei made the lesson fun, made the kids laugh and made sure they enjoyed themselves. The young people are the future of the club and if they are enjoying themselves and learning Karate at the same time then they will continue their Karate journey and achieve their goals.
Trouble is, Martha and I were in the mood for a serious session! I was grumpy from work and I just wanted to hit something/someone, and Martha has always preferred the serious side of Karate. The continuous giggling from the kids was getting right on my nerves. To a traditionalist like me it seems very disrespectful to be laughing and chatting in the middle of kihon techniques up and down the dojo. However, thinking about it now, those young people will all be back next week because of the fun they had today. I just need to stop being a grumpy old man.
I went home to do some ironing and then have another late dinner. I stayed up late to try to avoid indigestion.
Karate, no junkfood, no alcohol

Saturday
Weight: 10st 4lbs
I've been at 10st 5lbs for a long time. It was nice to see the scales saying something different.
I climbed onto the bike, called for Jonnie and we set off on our Honiley route. I knew there was something wrong before I'd left the house: I didn't feel like going out! That's very rare for me.
I spent the vast majority of the ride trying to catch up with Jonnie. He offered up his wheel several times but I couldn't hang on. I'd just watch him cycle away up the road. Trouble was, I was tired. Again, just like on the failed run this week, I wasn't gasping or sweating, I was just tired. 
Tired deep in the muscles. 
Sluggish, used up, done in.
Even a double helping of cake at Wilmcote couldn't help me: I struggled back to base having covered 40 miles at 14mph. It was a dry day with a light wind. I should have been a lot faster.
After a shower and some healthy food (chicken, green beans and wholewheat pasta) I went back up the road to Jonnie's place to help him with a two-man gardening job. I even got to drive the Land Rover!


Driving the Land Rover at Jonnie's place.
The job included lots of shovelling. I knew my back would suffer so I had my lifting belt on as tight as it would go.
Jonnie and I discussed my lack of energy this week and we decided that a rest was in order. Tomorrow would be a rest day.
This evening, Jonnie, Lucy, Sally, James and I headed back to Wilmcote for the Village Hall quiz. We managed to come joint fifth. I ate loads of unhealthy food and drank lots of beer!
Bed at midnight.
Cycling, junkfood, beer

Sunday
Blood Pressure: 147/76
Resting heart rate: 54bpm
For the first time in a long time, I didn't wake up to the sound of an alarm. I woke up naturally just after 9am!
I had a bit of a sore back but nothing too bad.
My blood pressure is worrying, however.
I remembered that it was a rest day so I walked the dogs around the park and then spent most of the afternoon sitting in my man cave getting all the lessons done that I didn't have time to finish on Friday. It felt strange being at home when the Sunday afternoon Karate session was happening only two miles away.
My back started to ache a bit more as the day went on. 
In the evening, friends and family came round and Lucy cooked Sunday dinner for eight. I indulged in a few beers and even had pudding!
No exercise, junkfood, alcohol



No comments:

Post a Comment