. .

Search This Blog

Monday, October 7, 2019

How to Achieve a Black Belt in your Forties (55 days to go)

Monday
I cycled to work. I cycled back in the pouring rain.
I did some weight training.
I made some dinner for Lucy and myself.
I felt a bit sad that my birthday was over. I wanted a beer but I didn't have one.
Weight training, no junkfood, no alcohol

Tuesday
I cycled in to work in the rain.
After eating healthily all day, I cycled home to get ready for Karate.
At the dojo, I found out that the gentleman who I referred to as 'Sensei Clive' in last week's post is actually named Kai. I have emended last week's blog entry accordingly.
Tonight's session saw Sensei Gary running the 1st kyu students through a high-speed mock grading. It was rather tough at the start and I found myself gasping for breath and sweating within five minutes! I must, must, must get fitter! Sensei had us performing lots of combinations at high speed before moving us onto Heian kata. This is where I went wrong: I was so fatigued and under pressure that I had a brief mental block in Heian Yondan followed by a complete memory lapse in Heian Sandan. I managed to get through both eventually, but if it happens in two month's time then I've failed. I blasted through Kanku Dai to finish.
The last ten minutes was spent with Sensei Kai and Sensei Lloyd as they led us through Kata Enpi (Empi?) a couple of times.
At the end of the lesson, Martha and I presented our black belt modules to Sensei Gary and he was kind enough to sign off some more of the elements. I only have one page left to complete!
I got home to a HUGE dinner of fresh plaice, salmon and fish fingers with loads of green beans and homemade spicy rice!
Martha had to go to work until 11:20 so I didn't get to bed until almost midnight. What a day!
Karate, no junkfood, no alcohol

Wednesday
For some reason I woke up at 5:40am after less than six hours sleep. Everyone knows that when you're training, you need sleep to recover, repair and build. This waking up early is not good.
Lucy and I were working late tonight so I jumped in the car with her.
For this morning's sports lesson, I took the lads on a 2 mile run. Three of the lads were fitter than me and managed to finish ahead. I've got a lot of work to do with the rest of them! These are young men aged between 16 and 19 who signed up for a college sports course. They should be fitter than me.
All of the lads showed the right attitude, the weather was dry and bright, and everyone finished in a good mood.
I ate chicken and rice and two bananas to recover.
We finished work at 7pm and raced home for huge bowls of beef chilli and rice.
90 minutes later, I got stuck into a weight training session before meeting Martha from work at 11:35. I got to bed just as it turned midnight.
Weight training, no alcohol, no junkfood.

Thursday
The alarm woke me up at 6:20am. I was so tired that I could barely lift my head from the pillow!
After a day at work, I dragged myself off for my weekly 10K run. I felt fast and light and was genuinely shocked and dismayed to find that my time was 40 seconds slower than on my last effort. Oh well. I'm getting some new trainers at the weekend, let's see if that helps.
10K run: 62 minutes 50 seconds, no junkfood, no alcohol.

Friday
Weight: 10st 5lbs
A distressed family member called us just before midnight. We didn't get much sleep after that.
So, not enough sleep for three night's running. My eyes felt so sore at work! I was so tired that I felt a little detached from everything. Happily, I love Fridays and I have the best class and the best people with me. Teaching with them is a joy.
I cycled home and got ready for Karate training.
There was a guest instructor with us tonight. 5th Dan Sensei Rupert Smith was visiting from his home in America. He is British born (I think) and he told me that he used to train with Sensei Colin Hexley - the brother of my first instructor Sensei Paul Hexley!
Sensei Gary was in charge and he had me out at the front of a line up. I was defending against the rest of the higher grades including several black belts and our visiting instructor. I was required to block and counter over and over again and against longer and longer chains of attacks.
I could barely believe it - I had gone to the dojo already feeling tired after three nights of not enough sleep, and now my stamina was really being put to the test! I was exhausted by the end of it. Quite possibly the most worn out I've ever felt in the dojo, certainly the closest I've ever come to vomiting on the dojo floor! The last ten minutes were spent going through Kata.
After the lesson, Sensei Rupert spent a few more moments with me going over some fighting techniques. He was very complimentary about my efforts in the dojo and he said that he considered me to be ready to grade. I went home ridiculously tired, but very happy.
In the evening, my willpower cracked and I enjoyed two beers with my feet up!
Karate, no junkfood, 2 ales

Saturday
Lucy and I got loads of stuff done this morning. One of my jobs was cutting branches from a tree that was making its way up to the roof of a neighbour's house and sawing them up for firewood.
The afternoon Karate session was focused entirely on Martha and me! Sensei Tony took the whole class through our grading combinations. It was good for the lower grades to get a taste of what is to come, and invaluable practice for us!
With the competition in the morning, I had an early dinner of tuna and wholewheat pasta (protein and carbs!) followed by an early night.
Karate, no junkfood, no alcohol

Sunday
I was up at 7am for breakfast before heading off to the Ruach Karate competition.
In terms of attendance, it was the smallest competition Ruach has hosted. However, the spirit, respect and friendship shown by the competitors and judges more than made up for it. The people who were there were determined to make the most of their day!
We started with kata.
We had medal success in the form of silver and gold for Omar and his sister.
I was determined to get through to the finals of the adult competition so I used my favourite kata, Kanku Dai, in the first round. I scraped by into the semi finals! Performing Kanku Dai at competition level had left me rather tired and I was trying my best to recover before I was called up again. In the next round, I faced a black belt performing Jion. Happily, a mistake meant that I only had to get through a kata without an error to qualify. To get my breath back and to save some energy, I did a careful performance of Heian Shodan. It was enough to get me through to the final.
In the final, I was up against a very sharp black belt with excellent timing performing Heian Godan. Again, a mistake by my opponent meant that all I had to do was not get anything wrong. I decided to perform Heian Godan too, so the judges could draw a clear comparison.
After we had both performed our kata, the judges went into a huddle and then other instructors, including Sensei Ronnie, got involved! I don't know what was said but the decision went my way and I was awarded the gold medal!
Gold medal for kata!
 After kata, the young people got stuck into the 'Kickmaster'  competition. This is where they unleash their best techniques onto a standing bag. Again, Ruach managed to win a fistful of medals including gold for Callum!
In the kumite, the youngsters showed great spirit and fantastic technique. Once again, Ruach were very successful and Omar and Farah both took gold! There were only four competitors in the men's category so I managed to get into the final after defeating a green belt. I didn't put on a very convincing show against a young, fast black belt and had to settle for silver. I know I could have done better, I was just too hesitant. I'll be beating myself up about that for a while.

I should be happy with silver. I'm not.
At the end of the competition, I went home for a healthy lunch and to get some housework done. However, I was still in a celebratory mood. Later, Lucy, Martha and I headed off to the pub and Martha bought me a beer! 
Back at home, I indulged in more beers and some ice cream! Cheers!
Karate competition, junkfood, 4 beers

No comments:

Post a Comment