. .

Search This Blog

Sunday, October 14, 2018

How to Lose a Belly When You're 44 (part 2)

Monday
I couldn't face riding the heavy mountain bike to work so I dashed in on the Specialized.
Another highly stressful day. A lot of the staff in our department, staff who have been there at least as long as I have, agree that this year has seen the worst behaviour from students that we can remember. A lot of the young people we're asked to teach are disrespectful, self-centred and unbelievably aggressive. We're having a hard time reaching the teenager under all the layers of protective nastiness. Energy drinks, cigarettes, grime music and junkfood all add to the difficult job of managing behaviour.
And mobile phones. Don't get me started on phones...
I cycled home and let my frustrations lose with some weight training while listening to Pantera. It felt marvellous. Then, aching all over in a good way, I cooked a healthy, protein-rich dinner for the family.
Weight training, no junkfood, no alcohol.

Tuesday
Blood pressure: 150/79
Resting heart rate: 59
Weight: 10st 4lbs
My blood pressure is crap.
I cycled in to work, worked a less stressful day (I only had to phone 3 parents today), and then cycled home excited for dojo.
Martha and I headed off for Karate despite the fact that she was suffering with a cold and sounded quite hoarse. I was enjoying a fast-paced kata and kumite lesson until disaster struck: I was sparring with a black belt when I rolled my left ankle rather badly. I've turned an ankle several times before and, after a bit of limping, was usually able to walk it off.
Not this time.
I felt something pop out of place, I hit the deck, and then felt something pop back into place. The pain was like an electric shock up my body which settled briefly in my stomach, making me feel sick.
Ruach Karate and Cocksmoor Woods Leisure Centre were very helpful and came to my aid straight away. I was helped to a bench and given an ice pack and lots of advice.
I'd like to point out that Ruach Karate is not to blame for my injury. Anyone can roll an ankle whenever they're doing anything involving running or walking. I did this to myself and no amount of health and safety precautions could have prevented it. Injuries are all part of the Karate life - it's difficult to think of any adult karateka who hasn't suffered some sort of knock in the years I've been tying a belt around my waist. Thankfully, Ruach is VERY good at looking after the children in the club.
Thanks to Sensei Gary Beggan and the orange-belt nurse for acting so quickly and professionally.
I managed to drive home and then I put my feet up to watch Defenders with Mouse. Gradually, my ankle swelled up and ached more and more. I've already given up the idea of cycling to work tomorrow.
Half a Karate session, no junkfood, no alcohol.

Wednesday
Blood pressure: 141/72
Resting heart rate: 63
Weight: 10st 3lbs
The pain in my ankle woke me up at about 5am and I couldn't get back to sleep after that. It throbbed mightily until I eventually hobbled downstairs at 6:20am. The ankle had really swollen up and I was limping badly - holding onto things as I went!

I took this during morning break at college.
I didn't let it stop me and felt I still managed to get some okay lessons done today. The staff at work were quite insistent that I get the foot checked even though I could wiggle the toes and I could walk on it. People on social media were telling me to visit A&E too. Eventually, Lucy, Leanne and Rachel ganged up on me and Lucy dropped me off at Solihull Hospital to get checked.
Predictably, the ankle was fine - just swollen, not broken.
The service at Solihull Hospital was excellent - I was out within an hour and a half, everyone was professional, and it was a good experience. Well done, the NHS.
Also predictably, I went home, cooked dinner for the family, and then got a bit spannered with my girlfriend. Hic!

Thursday

I managed to cycle to work and back. Got home late, drank beer and listened to Iron Maiden.

Friday
A bit of an impromptu party with Jonnie and Sally. Stayed up drinking until 1:30am!

Saturday
Dog walking in the daytime. It's a 1.7 mile walk and the ankle was aching but not hurting.

Sunday
More dog walking, this time in the rain. The Weekend Warriors had planned to ride today, but the rain was heavy and relentless.
The ankle was a little sore, but nothing too bad.


Well, I've rested the ankle for almost a week and I'm now determined to get back into training.
I'd estimate that, if everything goes to plan, I have about 320 days to get black belt fit...
Tomorrow is Day One!




No comments:

Post a Comment